By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS preys on Consumer Ignorance with Xbox 360/One

Great observations man. I knew about many of these but some I had no idea of. Sony undeniably has treated customers with more respect in fact. While Microsoft fooled people into thinking that multiplatforms where only in their console, Sony continued making many permament exclusives. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
gergroy said:

so... that doesn't seem to really affect consumers though.  that is more of a developer issue.  sure, you can say it will delay the game, but like you said, that is a developer choice.  It certainly doesn't take any choices away from the consumer.

Now, is the parity clause crap for indie developers?  definitely!!  I just don't see it as a big consumer issue like you are making it out to be.  

It does because not all indies have the resources to develop multiple versions of a game simultaneously.

Its why some indies are on xbox and not on other systems yet, and why some indies launched on PS and have claimed they dont want to work with xbox. Either way gamers on both sides have lost out. Without the policy the indie games would have made it to both systems.

There is no reason why the policy should exist. The way I see it is MS are just throwing a tantrum because they got beaten at their own timed exclusivity game which they started.

Also this is exactly the point of my original post. You have no reason to defend the policy, it is of no use or no benefit to anyone, yet you still defend it.

This in regards to MS demanding timed exclusivity and/or release parity with PSN? Because I can tell you first hand that it benefits the XBox gamer. We don't have to wait while someone else gets to play or we enjoy a 1st class experience with getting it first. If there was any place that MS truly cared for their gamers, it was the indie scene with 360.

They are hypocrites. The way they play is pretty damn dirty and a very bad example to set for the industry in how to deal with your competition. They tell developers to give them parity for games and then strip parity away from others because they are afraid it will make their console seem equal. That is called fear.

Kratos0Ace87 said:

This your reaction should have been the normal reaction that any consumer should have had. Instead they inexplicably forgave Microsoft in a day. I never understood it. I never went through that and I hope I never will.

Groan.

I had disc issues with my PS1 and had to have the console on its side or upside down for it to work.

I have gone through several PS2 as they were flimsy and not very reliable (Of my retro consoles, it is the only one I have a back-up system of).

My PS3 fat sounded like a leaf blower after a few months and then YLOD (To be fair, the slim is much less shoddy than the fat)

People seem to have forgiven Sony...

By comparison, apart from the first model with RROD, my Xboxes, 360s, and Xbox Ones have all worked like a charm.

vfguy said:
Kratos0Ace87 said:

This your reaction should have been the normal reaction that any consumer should have had. Instead they inexplicably forgave Microsoft in a day. I never understood it. I never went through that and I hope I never will.

Groan.

I had disc issues with my PS1 and had to have the console on its side or upside down for it to work.

I have gone through several PS2 as they were flimsy and not very reliable (Of my retro consoles, it is the only one I have a back-up system of).

My PS3 fat sounded like a leaf blower after a few months and then YLOD (To be fair, the slim is much less shoddy than the fat)

People seem to have forgiven Sony...

By comparison, apart from the first model with RROD, my Xboxes, 360s, and Xbox Ones have all worked like a charm.

Do not compare a console that had 10 percent (or less) hardware issues to one that became historically known as the console with the 60% failure rate. Your experience with the Playstation is your own, but in all its failure not the same. 10% failure rates are typical for technology. Microsoft rushed the 360 to beat Sony to the punch and risked a huge batch of  unsuable consoles.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Do not compare a console that had 10 percent (or less) hardware issues to one that became historically known as the console with the 60% failure rate. Your experience with the Playstation is your own, but in all its failure not the same. 10% failure rates are typical for technology. Microsoft rushed the 360 to beat Sony to the punch and risked a huge batch of  unsuable consoles.

Now the Xbox 360 was in a failure class by itself but, even before the internet, the PS1's issues were big enough to be covered in gaming magazines and the PS2's issues were big enough to be the target of a class action lawsuit.  I went through two PS1's and three PS2's myself and I treat my consoles like royalty.  That's one of the reasons I went with the Xbox 360 first last gen.  I said there was no way I was paying $600 for a Sony console if it was just going to break.  Joke was on me.  My 360 broke twice AND my Phat PS3 broke (but it lasted six years).  The problems were real.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:

OP has some valid points but others it exaggerates.

Thread title is spot on though, and MS does it far worse than Sony, anyone claiming otherwise is being ignorant.  Only need look at E3 press conferences for evidence, MS always announce titles as just 'exclusives' or 'Exclusively for Xbox' yet the devs when asked tell us it is on PC too, or just timed exclusive.  Sony meanwhile are much more clear and have stated during conferences if something is timed exclusive or just console exclusive. 

I see some people point at adverts on TV, for either company you cannot blame them for not advertising for the others console in them, "Destiny coming to PS4 later this year" or "Call of Duty Ghosts DLC 1 exclusive on XBox in January" are not lies, they are advertising themselves, leaving out the details of the other.  "Titanfall only for XBox" though is a lie, it isn't leaving out details of the PC release, by saying 'only for Xbox' it is saying there is no PC version.

It is just some basic respect to the intelligence of gamers to be honest, anyone who does a bit of research (just looking on gaming sites) will expose these lies, yet MS like to tell them and have made a habbit of prey on those too ignorant to check for years.

Just saw the commercial.  Never saw the "only on Xbox" thing mentioned.

Many people at other sites have falsely labeled me as a Sony fanboy, which is a joke. I owned an Xbox and 3 Xbox 360s and none of them broke down on me during my ownership of them. My nephew owns an Xbox 360 I bought him in 2011 and it still works. My first PSX, PS2 and PS3 (first due to Update 2.0 and then 3 years later it would freeze during games) all died on me, though I used them heavily over their ownership. I expect my PS4 to last a good long time as I'm playing everything digitally to start.

Many serious video gamers know what they are getting into with Microsoft. I don't think we needed to be lectured on it. It's the casuals who buy nothing but Madden/FIFA and CoD who need to read your comments...and they won't. However, they seem to be going with Sony over Microsoft and Nintendo this time around in the early going.

I'm just angry that I can't play Peggle 2 on my PC due to Microsoft. I hate these timed exclusives that keep others from playing the game. I have yet to see anybody broadcast Peggle 2 on Twitch. Nobody bought an Xbox One to play Peggle 2.

Yes, Microsoft preys on consumer ignorance. Who doesn't?

I'm in marketing.. We all prey on consumer ignorance.. We release movie trailer to make awfull movies look good.. Presents ads to convince people that its better then an iphone.. But when a product sells 80 million or 500 million.. There are a lot.. A lot of people who choose that product cause they want to.. They like it better then the other product.. Do they bitch and moan about the other product they didn't buy? No.. They enjoy what they bought and have the class to stand above such a pathetic thing as hating on a product you didn't buy.. More so.. They don't even care you bought the "other" product.. They don't even care about you..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Old news, considering how ignorant and delusional most of their fans are.

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags

Nintendo 2018

English is not my native language.
d21lewis said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Now the Xbox 360 was in a failure class by itself but, even before the internet, the PS1's issues were big enough to be covered in gaming magazines and the PS2's issues were big enough to be the target of a class action lawsuit.  I went through two PS1's and three PS2's myself and I treat my consoles like royalty.  That's one of the reasons I went with the Xbox 360 first last gen.  I said there was no way I was paying $600 for a Sony console if it was just going to break.  Joke was on me.  My 360 broke twice AND my Phat PS3 broke (but it lasted six years).  The problems were real.

I would like to see an article that says the Playstation as a product had a failure rate higher than 15-16%.