By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What/How many programming languages do you know?

I do a bit with HTML/CSS, Java, C# and C++

Around the Network

assembler(virtual processor pep8)
c
sql
html5
java
pascal

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

mai said:
Soleron said:

After you understand what programming is meant to do, picking up another language is a half day with a book or online guide. What's more important is whether you've used the language on a real project with tangible results.

Pretty much yes.

I've learned a couple and made a living from programming during my study at university -- was supposed to be a linguistics graduate, but ended up as an engineer :D

It depends what you call language. If it's just doing crappy code for basic stuff, it ends more and less the same with any language.

If you really get into the language, there are tons of tools, coding difference, frameworks, popular coding way, philosophy, web server, debug, editors and goal differences that takes just years to get.

I'm quite experienced in java so I got to know frameworks and libraries (hibernate, spring, dozer, poi, junit, ehcache, etc., etc.), web servers (websphere, tomcat, etc.), the visual editor (eclipse), tools (maven, tomcruise, etc.) etc. Basically, java is a lot about having a good understanding of open source and OOP, set a lot of xml files and is strong for web site and web services (even if you can make games). You can read most of the code you get.

I have switched to C# a year before, and if the language is quite similar, there are not so many performant open source frameworks (compared to java), the editor is a joke (you have to pay for resharper to get half what eclipse can do), the language is faster, so you end to code a lot more technical code. For that you have a lot of windows specific, some convenient language tricks (like linq that most people use massively). One of the example of things I struggled for, is that most of the code is closed source. I'm used to read a lot of code to understand, I read JDK, I read libraries.  That where my understanding come from. That's really a big difference I think. There a hell lot of subtle differences also (can you add a null value in a dictionary as you can in a java's hashmap ? ). So I spent a year learning and coding, I even have a better level than most people in my company, but it took months, and it's not even over.

At the university, I learnt C, Delphi, Pascal, prolog, perl, korn shell, caml, etc., etc., but that's a totally different level. Understanding a language is about coding several hundred hours.

Did someone learn agile methodes of programming i'm actually doing this course in University it's pretty interesting

Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Java and C++

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
small44 said:
Did someone learn agile methodes of programming i'm actually doing this course in University it's pretty interesting

is that the same as functional programming?

fireburn95 said:
small44 said:

The Agile movement proposes alternatives to traditional project management. Agile approaches are typically used in software development to help businesses respond to unpredictability.

Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

3DS - 80m

C#, C++, C, Java, JavaScript, VisualBASIC, Delphi Object Pascal, Pascal, PowerBuilder, xBase, 6502 Assembly, 68000 Assembly, SQL, VB for Apps, COBOL, JCL, HTML, DOS Batch, Windows PowerShell, PowerHouse, RPG, SmallTalk, and PHP

C++ and Java are the only two that I'm familiar with.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

fireburn95 said:
small44 said:

No, it is more of an management-method than a technical method. Classical software development sees development (simplified) as:

1. Customer plans the product and defines the wishlist.

2. Developer creates the product as defined by the customer.

3. Success!!

There are different agile methodes, but mostly they share to create more of an incrmental development. In the way: the customer gets every two weeks a new milestone of current development status and gives feedback. That is a pretty cool method and has a lot of advantages. But some things are hindering it's usage in the real world: not only the management of the developing company has to implement this method - the customer also has to support this model with the feedback. Without the feedback this method loses a lot of it's advantages.

The different agile methodologies add a lot of additional stuff though, that might be or might be not useful without cooperation of the customer.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]