By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Handheld Game System

What's your favourite handheld game system?

Playstation Vita 136 24.16%

Playstation Portable (PSP) 40 7.10%

Nintendo 3DS/2DS 209 37.12%

Nintendo DS/DSi 83 14.74%

Gameboy Advance 53 9.41%

iPad/Android Tablet/Phone 8 1.42%

Open Pandora 4 0.71%

Classic Handheld ie. Game... 22 3.91%

Obscure Classic ie. Wonde... 2 0.36%

Other (Please State) 2 0.36%

Total:559

3DS is absolutely amazing. It might become my favorite system ever.

Around the Network

This is a weird one for me. I'm not going to actually vote for anything, not least because I haven't owned a 3DS yet.

I have, however, owned a Gameboy; Gameboy Colour; Gameboy Advance; DS; PSP & Vita.

I owned all the Nintendo handhelds pretty much as the came out, and never really got into them. I had Pokemon Red & Super Mario Land for the GB; Pokemon Gold, Robot Wars: Metal Mayhem & The World is Not Enough for the GBC; Spyro: Season of Ice for GBA and Professor Layton & The Curious Village; Brain Training 1 & Mario Kart DS for the DS.

Honestly, I bought the systems (or rather, had them bought for me) pretty early in their lifespans with a couple of games, and I played those games and the system a bit and then got tired of them and never came back to them. Purely because I preferred home console gaming. Couldn't find any reasons why I'd want to play inferior games on a small screen when I could play full game experiences on a big TV.

Many, many, many years later I got a Vita, and it honestly changed my outlook about handheld consoles. Although, yes, the quality is still a step down from home consoles, it comes close enough that I'm happy now. I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a gamer stuck in the 6th generation really - graphics got good enough for me in the late 6th/early 7th generation and I no longer feel the need to chase stunning graphics like I did when I owned a PS2/GC. Vita achieves that level of quality and then some.

And it changed my outlook on other handhelds, too. I went back and bought a PSP and realised that the console was capable of pushing that kind of quality last generation, and I'd missed out on it. It made me dig out my DS to have another go, and I found I enjoyed the system a lot more than I remembered. It has made the 3DS my next planned console purchase, usurping the WiiU & PS4 which ordinarily would've been my next purchases.

So in a way, Vita will probably always be my favourite because it introduced me to handheld gaming which I now love (it's much more convenient; the quality is there; the Japanese devs are there; etc. etc.) when I wouldn't give it a chance before. But I've still got a lot more handhelds to explore before I'm done with them, so we'll see.

Vita and 3DS? Really, guys? Granted, I don't own a 3DS yet, but I just can't imagine anything ever being able to best the GBA. It was like a SNES in the palm of your hand... literally!

Gawd, so many memories.

Vita is hands down the best handheld in my opinion. I enjoy niche Japanese titles, so it is a good fit for me, and actually the only device to get me back into handheld gaming (and to think the only reason I got it was for ps4 link). Highly underrated and I would love to see more support for it.

As for my classic handheld before I stopped playing them from the past...gonna have to say GBA.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

if we talk about games then....its up to personal tastes

now, if we are talking about the best HH design, for me GBA Micro represents all that a portable should be. Small, slick with a excellent screen, simple amd functional a game console truly made to game on the Go...

PSP? A disc based multimedia system? LOL no thanks
3DS? Have you seen the size of that XL thingy? NO thanks

GBA SP is also great, but Micro wins by a body thanks to its small size and much better screen.
GBA micro FTW!

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
 [...]Couldn't find any reasons why I'd want to play inferior games on a small screen when I could play full game experiences on a big TV.

And it changed my outlook on other handhelds, too. I went back and bought a PSP and realised that the console was capable of pushing that kind of quality last generation, and I'd missed out on it. It made me dig out my DS to have another go, and I found I enjoyed the system a lot more than I remembered. It has made the 3DS my next planned console purchase, usurping the WiiU & PS4 which ordinarily would've been my next purchases.

You've evolved into a better man. I think I might tear up...

OT: In this generation? 3DS. Of all time? DS. Anyone who doesn't pick DS is wrong, and they know it.

NintendoPie said:
Kresnik said:
 [...]Couldn't find any reasons why I'd want to play inferior games on a small screen when I could play full game experiences on a big TV.

You've evolved into a better man. I think I might tear up...

OT: In this generation? 3DS. Of all time? DS. Anyone who doesn't pick DS is wrong, and they know it.

The thing is, surely the 3DS is simply a better DS. It has all the function of a DS and can play the entire DS library, as well as added online functions, and it's own library of consistently high quality exclusives. What does the DS have that the 3DS can't do? The PSP at least has its own library of games that the Vita can only play as digital download. Plus the PSP is a pretty sweet emulation machine. 

TornadoCreator said:

The thing is, surely the 3DS is simply a better DS. It has all the function of a DS and can play the entire DS library, as well as added online functions, and it's own library of consistently high quality exclusives. What does the DS have that the 3DS can't do? The PSP at least has its own library of games that the Vita can only play as digital download. Plus the PSP is a pretty sweet emulation machine. 

I'm not taking backwards compatibility into this equation. If we did that then the Vita could be the best console to some people, even if the PSP games are digital downloads. This would simply not work.

I'm judging the DS as a stand alone, same with the 3DS. Same with anything else.

Game Boy hands down... what other handheld can boast about getting BOMBED and still being able to function???

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

1. Vita- Best overall handheld gaming console I've ever owned. Gorgeous screen, and has all the features you could ever want, and the games look amazing. Shame that it's struggling.

2. 3DS XL- My second favourite. Definitely has the best handheld games I've ever played, like Bravely Default, Fire Emblem Awakening, OoT 3D, Link Between Worlds, Pokemon X/Y, etc. Only thing holding it back from the number 1 spot is the uninspiring hardware. The 3DS's touch screen is simply ancient, and it really feels like a DS 1.5 sometimes. Nevertheless, the amazing games puts it number 2 on my list.

3. GBA- I loved this thing as a kid. I spend hundreds of hours playing Pokemon on it. Simple and clean design, and the most portable console I've ever owned.

4. DS- Another Pokemon machine. It was the first touch-screen device I ever owned, so it was pretty special for me.

5. PSP- Loved it for the excellent selection of RPGs, but I got it pretty late in its life cycle (my first PSP was the Go), and so I couldn't really get the full experience.

6. GBC- Pokemon Gold and Silver were the only games I ever owned for it, but I had a great time with then. Still play it occasionally.

999. Android/iPhone

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC