By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dark Souls II official thread of telling us your journey through Drangleic

Skeeuk said:
can someone confirm if human effigy game mechanic is rubbish or not as things like that put me off

can someone explain exactly how it works

Human Effigy = Humanity.

You are hollow =/= you aren't human. You use a Human Effigy, you revive back to Human.

Around the Network

Like others have said, it is definitely a Souls game. The difficulty is probably a bit more Demon's than Dark (so harder for newcomers) but if you have played them before it will feel like you never left.

Good mix of mechanics from Demon's and Dark like leveling up with one person but still having bonfires dotted around. Fast travel from the get go was a pleasant surprise. It also feels like it punishes you more for dying as Effigies are scarce and losing health every death makes it harder to progress, which will put new players off (maybe) but feel great for veterans of the series.

Probably going to buy the PC version when that is released and if it ever comes to PS4 I will pick it up again as the Dualshock 3 actually feels like a massive downgrade from the Dualshock 4 now and I did try and use the DS4 with the PS3 but there was some input lag that made the game ever harder and I wasn't quite feeling that challenge.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

mitsuhide said:
Like others have said, it is definitely a Souls game. The difficulty is probably a bit more Demon's than Dark (so harder for newcomers) but if you have played them before it will feel like you never left.

Good mix of mechanics from Demon's and Dark like leveling up with one person but still having bonfires dotted around. Fast travel from the get go was a pleasant surprise. It also feels like it punishes you more for dying as Effigies are scarce and losing health every death makes it harder to progress, which will put new players off (maybe) but feel great for veterans of the series.

Probably going to buy the PC version when that is released and if it ever comes to PS4 I will pick it up again as the Dualshock 3 actually feels like a massive downgrade from the Dualshock 4 now and I did try and use the DS4 with the PS3 but there was some input lag that made the game ever harder and I wasn't quite feeling that challenge.

How does it feel great? I played through Dark souls 3 times, maybe that doesn't make me a veteran but I hate diminishing health. I rather have the enemies stay, instead on my healthbar disappearing. I'm already down to 75% just from the turotial area from falling off stuff.

SvennoJ said:
mitsuhide said:

How does it feel great? I played through Dark souls 3 times, maybe that doesn't make me a veteran but I hate diminishing health. I rather have the enemies stay, instead on my healthbar disappearing. I'm already down to 75% just from the turotial area from falling off stuff.

I guess "veterans" here means people who started with Demon's Souls.

SvennoJ said:
mitsuhide said:

Fair enough. I was meaning as it was from Demon's Souls where you only had half health when you weren't human and the challenge that developed was exciting.

I would prefer the enemies didn't dissapear after so many deaths too.

@Wright

Yeah, I should have specified instead of saying veterans.

@Both

Veterans was poor wording.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Around the Network
Wright said:
SvennoJ said:
mitsuhide said:

I guess "veterans" here means people who started with Demon's Souls.

Damn straight.

fantastic so far, the addition of armor scaling will allow for more diverse builds. won't be seeing a bunch of giants/havels armor guys this time around.

not confirmed but I think being a part of the way of the blue covenant has a hidden perk of free humanity - if summoned as hollow, upon return I noticed being restored to human.

SvennoJ said:

Very early impressions (just reached the start village).

Very dark at the start, first death was 5 seconds in, walked of the edge of the start plateau. Adjust gamma.

The tutorial area was a bit of a disaster as I 'missed' the first door on the left (went into my standard follow the right wall explore mode) and had no clue what the controls were upon reaching the first enemies. So I stand there pressing square and other buttons hoping something happens, death 2, and wasted half the life gems. (which I keep wasting as square for attack is hard-wired into my brain)

More random pressing later I discover R1 is cast spell, no clue how to aim it, death 3. Slowly approaching seems to guide the magic missiles the right way, that will do for now. A new clue says press L3 to jump when dashing. No clue how to dash, I try running and L3, nope, death 4. O seems to roll but can't figure out what the dash button is. I go up the ladder instead.

Anyway it wraps around and a bit later I decide to go in the first door on the left where I find the explanation for basic controls. I still die again trying to jump as I slide of a ledge on landing. And another death running too close to some big stone monster that simply grabs me. Going back there they turn out to be easy to kill using the terrain and casting magic missile a bunch of times. No clue what lying in the coffin is for, long load screen, no change. I die again exploring the water when I suddenly fall through.

Upon reaching the village some killer pigs try to take me out, but by now I know how to disengage lock on and dash away. I blast them for almost no reward. It seems there are plenty of ways to go from here. I talk to level-up lady, I'm lvl 11 already apparently, no clue what attributes to put where. This is probably where I screw up my character like I did in Dark souls with my first character.

First impressions, ugh it's ugly. Still it instantly gives me that itch to explore. Only working out that whole spreadsheet part of the game again is turning me a bit off. (Hence I'm on vgchartz while a big block of numbers is displayed on the tv screen)

What class are you playing?...any new class that wasn´t on Dark Souls 1?

mitsuhide said:
SvennoJ said:
mitsuhide said:

Fair enough. I was meaning as it was from Demon's Souls where you only had half health when you weren't human and the challenge that developed was exciting.

I would prefer the enemies didn't dissapear after so many deaths too.

@Wright

Yeah, I should have specified instead of saying veterans.

@Both

Veterans was poor wording.

True, getting cursed in Dark souls definitely added a big challenge. Especially as I didn't find out what had done it after I got hit a second time. Fighting my way back up to the bell tower was painfull. Ofcourse with fast travel that challenge is gone, it's just a nuisance now. I imagine I'll just be fighting with half a health bar and use effigies only before boss fights.

The game lets you start with a single Estus flask. That's off-putting, no doubt about it, but it also provides with life gems every now and then (a nice touch from Demon's). Life is cut in half, gradually, but a restoration ring is found very early in the game. Add some AI problems, early powerful weapons and a quite lower difficulty and you have the whole "difficulty picture".

What's really making the game hard is the enemy vanishing after a ten or so kills. That means there is a finite amount of souls to collect from each area. Which in turn means that if you die often (and lose souls) you will not regain them easily. Grinding and farming is very limited. In the long run that will prove really sore for the gamer.

This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.