By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The PC 'game console'? It's true!

WildTangent unveils 'PC game console' Orb, Sierra and THQ pledge support

WildTangent announced today Orb, a new PC service aimed to give a game console experience. Orb will act as a portal for "console games," defined here as games designed for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and let you download and play games in its entirety or in play sessions, which will cost you via tokens or free through watching advertisements. THQ and Sierra have signed on, with Sierra promising to bring titles to the service "day and date" with console launches, according to WildTangent CEO Alex St. John.

In an interview with Joystiq, St. John explained how the cost per play session will depend on the game, but that it would be priced "fairly" based on statistics they derive in testing. That said, he presumes most will opt for the advertiser route. (In their casual portal, he said, 98% of the users opt for watching advertisements and playing for free.)

Games can be queued up for download in the background, but there's also an option for taking the games you want to play and having them sent to you for the cost of burning the DVD and shipping. The program will be offered in eight languages, including Chinese and Korean. No community features will included at launch, but St. John said he'd consider it in the future. It's a shame, too, because we think it's a key reason that programs like Steam and GameTap thrive.

The developer version will launch this week, with a consumer version poised for tomorrow. For users of the current WildTangent portal, which largely consists of what St. John calls casual gamers, they will be offered the client free for download when it launches. Orb will also be packaged with Dell and HP computers. Orb will be officially unveiled during a session tomorrow at GDC. We'll have more from our interview with St. John later this week.
________________________________________________________________________________________
So, do you guys think this will affect console sales if it catches on?  What other connotations can you think of?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

The code name will be "Phantom 2" ;)

I don't see this going anywhere. PC will still have its user-base and I don't see this changing much at all.

What are the launch titles?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Uhm....interesting? Sounds cool, I guess.

Uh...am I the only one or does this not make any sense at all??

How...do you download a Blu-Ray PS3 game...then play it on a PC? Maaybe a 360 game since the architecture is similar...but a PS3 game? Not that PC couldn't handle what the PS3 does, but it's built freaking different!

Or are these just simple, casual games that you can play on PC, PS3, or 360...and that they're simply designing games for all three systems at the same time...aka...nothing different at all...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

ummm, no. Nice idea, but i'm out.

Around the Network

err... Wildtangent.. that was the last company I would trust with a game console. It will fail.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I think it is a secondary software platform that makes it easier to port games, they won't be the PS3 games, they will be ports.

This is basically an OS on top of an OS that allows for more tools, features, and a billing structure...

Think something that combines a development suite and a market place in one...

Kinda like Steam or Microsoft Live but more intergrated with the games.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

oh btw, remember someone said some other company would join the console race... this is it, LMFAO.

Apple seriously needs to join, screw these BS phantom consoles.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but I think it's suppost to be like steam.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
ssj12 said:
oh btw, remember someone said some other company would join the console race... this is it, LMFAO.

Apple seriously needs to join, screw these BS phantom consoles.

Joining the Console war would be bad for Apple, it might be good for gaming but but it would be bad for Apple.  Apple needs to continue to garnering support for games on Mac.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.