By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS4 is a MAJOR flop in Japan - we need to talk about it

Zero999 said:
ninetailschris said:
People saying supply issues will be the same to say that when it hits 15k. Some people can't face the reality of a market changing.

it's not a market changing (not entirely). it's more like people don't buying expensive hardware for games they don't want.

Yeah, I don't see the PS4 being a tempting purchase, especially in Japan. Everything that sells well is also on PS3.

I'm honestly surprised the PS4 is doing very well worldwide. Most games are cross gen so far.

Around the Network

Japan buys consoles for specific games. Wait til a big japanese game hits the market.

Its on its third week... That's pretty damn serious evidence that Japan has lost interest in home consoles. However the fact that the Wii U was doing well is evidence that Japan wanted Wii U to win the console war this gen.

For those talking about the time each of these consoles were released, talking about christmas. Japan doesn't celebrate christmas nearly as much as other countries. Only like 1/2 a percent of japan is christian. Christmas is not a national holiday there either.

I seriously doubt the supply shortages bullshit people keep peddling. PS4 was still stocked up in many stores days after launch.

As for the reason why? Japanese games have an almost non-existant presence in the home console market these days. Why would they buy a console if they have nothing but shooters to play which Japan hates.

Another soap opera , produced and directed by Rol .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

lol a flop in Japan? The 360 was a flop in Japan...Wait till shipments become stable...

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
DarkD said:
Its on its third week... That's pretty damn serious evidence that Japan has lost interest in home consoles. However the fact that the Wii U was doing well is evidence that Japan wanted Wii U to win the console war this gen.

For those talking about the time each of these consoles were released, talking about christmas. Japan doesn't celebrate christmas nearly as much as other countries. Only like 1/2 a percent of japan is christian. Christmas is not a national holiday there either. 

The Wii U was selling better in its second and third week than the Wii did. Did that actually translate to success? Sales from the first three weeks means jack squat in the long run. Get back to me in a year and then we can talk about "Doom!"

Also, Christmas is indeed a major shopping season in Japan. December is always the best month for hardware sales. Every year the Wii, PS3, and 360 were out, December was the best month for sales. Same for the 3DS and Wii U now. The PS2 sold "only" 71,780 units its third week. Yep. Totally doomed. Except it was a March launch. Release timing does effect sales in the early weeks. This is a fact, no two ways about it.

Say whatever you like, but week three for a new console is way too early to be underselling.  It tells me that less than half a million japanese gamers are even excited about the system.  

I'm not saying it means doom.  I'm worried because the gaming industry can't handle a fuck-up with PS4 level graphics.  Wii U can make a mistake or two and be fine, but the PS4, no way.  Why do you think so many developers are going under, its because of underperforming games.  If the audience keeps shrinking then forget 100 million console sales that this system needs to make money, more like 60-70 million.  That is a terrible number for a front running console that is using cutting edge graphics as its selling point.  

You guys are the ones who keep asking for better graphics, well guess what you need to support those graphics...  SALES!!!  Don't have those and the entire industry goes kaput...  If you can't support the system with sales then you have to give way to alternative thinking and ideas like the Wii U, SteamBox, or DRM which are the alternatives right now.  

PS4 doom confirmed

thanks for enlightening me TC

I blame word of mouth.

Japanese gamer's realized how terrible knack is

I wouldn't go as far as calling it a flop. It's a decent performance especially with the lack of any heavy-hitters at this time in the console's life. That said, I'm not sure about it selling out in Japan as some have mentioned. 

You can pretty much walk into any major electronic store and buy the console right away. Amazon Japan even has some First Limited Pack consoles in stock and ready to ship (the prices have gone up a notch, though).

mii-gamer said:
I blame word of mouth. 

Japanese gamer's realized how terrible knack is

Maybe there is hope down the road. After all, even UENO Juri is appearing in a drama this year after a few years hiatus ;)

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova

admit it, ps4 sell that badly in japan cause there are no game that Japanese want. That's the reason Sony delay its launch date in Japan. We have to wait till FFXV release date to fully answer the question: "PS4 is a flop or not" :)