By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Price cuts, not Titanfall, will "save" the XBO.

Kinect needs to be optional, then after a $100 price cut the X1 would be very competitive.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

Titanfall, the first major killer app for the XBO...

Point being, individual games are good for extremely short-term gains. The only thing that has demonstrated the capacity for longer-term boosts to baseline sales is price cuts. While the effects can differ from region to region, each and every price cut has boosted sales significantly for a decent period of time, sometimes a few months, sometimes well over a year...

... can't be. How can a multiplatform game be a killer app? It will be a shot in the arm for Xb one for sure, but almost by definition a non-exclusive can't be a killer app for one of the platforms. Every sale of TF on 360 is a non-sale for the Xb one.

... and in some cases permanently, especially once the mass market price is reached.

Your main premise is correct of course, only price cuts can have a lasting effect on hardware sales. Though if popular exclusives released every month for a year that would cause a lot of temporary spikes, which collectively would amount to a sustained increase in sales. But who has the resourses to release 12 popular exclusives in a year?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

true_fan said:
Lol these blogs sure seem lonely for ps4 fans, you guys have been working overtime today. Oh well I'm off to go get my copy of Titanfall, while you guys do what you do best WAIT.

agreed. the explosion of the PS Nation thread last night is only proof that PS4 fans are just lonely and have no lifes. 

FlamingWeazel said:
true_fan said:
Lol these blogs sure seem lonely for ps4 fans, you guys have been working overtime today. Oh well I'm off to go get my copy of Titanfall, while you guys do what you do best WAIT.

1 week foir infamous? Ps4 has more games now then x1 so not sure what your point is.

Don't mind true_fan he claims to be an Xbox One owner, but he spends the majority of his time on multiple sites defending Microsoft and/or trolling Playstation.

Free games are a smart short term solution to boost console sales.

They should bundle Kinect Sports and Watch Dogs down the road as well. Then do a $100 price cut during the holiday.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

That's what I keep saying. I don't think they realize how well a $400 model without Kinect would boost sales. That $100 extra for an accessory I don't want is what's stopping me from buying one.

That would be a good start, plus get rid of the anti consumer policy of having to have Gold to even watch Netflix.

vivster said:
Don't agree. MS needs more system sellers. Pricecut won't do shit. If MS manages to turn the image of the X1 around people will buy it regardless of price.

Really, you think that? People didn't buy PS3 regardless of price when it was $600...and that's arguably the strongest brand in gaming (coming off of the PS2). Granted that high price was in combination with no amazing games for about a year. 

But then the combination of a price drop and good games rolling in and the PS3 started selling like hotcakes.

A $400 X1 (they could achieve this price by taking the mandatory Kinect out) would immediately boost X1 sales astronomically. 

Great little speech you have many good points there and I agree a big price cut would easily get the Xbox One further in the sales lead, but for now the PS4 is cheaper so more people buy it (duh) but hopefully titanfall will help the Xbox One get past the 4million milestone maybe even further if the hype lives up.

Does microsoft make $50 off every xbox sold? Maybe if retaliers sold as an even $350 it will get more buyers and still not take a loss.