By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Xbox One Will Catch Up To Playstation 4 in Performance.

How this thread is still going is beyond me ~

Around the Network
Pibituh said:

Its a never ending cycle, every TitanFall thread spawns a couple of XB1 PS4 parity threads which spawn XB1 price cut threads Which Spawn PS4 sales threads wich spanws a nother resolution gate thread which spawns a xb1 catching up to ps4 thread which prompts the a similar thread out of the wii u and eventaully we get back to titanfall threads.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Pibituh said:

Its a never ending cycle, every TitanFall thread spawns a couple of XB1 PS4 parity threads which spawn XB1 price cut threads Which Spawn PS4 sales threads wich spanws a nother resolution gate thread which spawns a xb1 catching up to ps4 thread which prompts the a similar thread out of the wii u and eventaully we get back to titanfall threads.

Ohh I see  ~ 

drkohler said:
Michael-5 said:

1. DDR3 is 64 bit, not 256, so DDR3 on XB1 would be like a 64 lane highway in your analogy.

ddr3 chips are 16 bits wide. The XBox One has 16 chips in parallel for a 256 bit bus

gddr5 chips are 32 bits wide but two chips can be paired as 16 bits wide each (clamshell mode). The PS4 has 16 chips in clamshell mode for a 256 bit bus.

Something like that, that's where my level of comp sci intelligence stops.

PS4 has 16 x 4Gbit chips for a 256 bit bus, but in clamshell mode don't those chips split between 2 IC's? This would effectively double the memory, and it's why the memory is half the value in clamshell mode (this is why you don't see 16 x 8Gbit chips).

I dunno, I keep reading that DDR5 is about 4x as powerful as DDR3 for a given size. Is that true? That's all I'd like to know.

----

Also reading, 3/8 GB of RAM is used to power Kinect/the OS. So doesn't the XB1 only technically have 5GB of DDR3 RAM for games?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_One#Hardware

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Normchacho said:

So after reading much of this thread, this is how I think most people on here feel

Thanks for the new show reccommendation. I watched that episode thanks to this comment, and now I'm in love with Rick & Morty. Watched the exact episode too

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Normchacho said:

So after reading much of this thread, this is how I think most people on here feel

Thanks for the new show reccommendation. I watched that episode thanks to this comment, and now I'm in love with Rick & Morty. Watched the exact episode too

Same

Normchacho roped me into this!

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Michael-5 said:
Normchacho said:

It's such a good show! The guy who voiced the Meeseeks is the same guy who voices spongebob!

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Michael-5 said:
Normchacho said:

Same

Normchacho roped me into this!

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

This thread goes way too indepth... the OP was proven wrong atleast 100 times... the Xbox One will not catch the ps4 in power... it has a stronger gpu and better ram.. and people who talk about eSRAM being a plus for the Xbox are confused... look it up on google... developers find it a hindrance...

That being said they are both fantastic consoles and if we all get enough money we should try to experience both of them :)

Michael-5 said:

2. Above 24 FPS, a human eye can't detect any changes to frame rate (first year chem/bio). You will see a smoother image, but never any screen tear or lag. So above 24 FPS and the difference is marginal. PS3 games lock in either 30 or 60 FPS, XB1 does the same, and so does WiiU. Neither is performing better here, all are doing well.

There is nothing like that in the human eye or brain. Light signal is continuous and there is no notion of FPS in the eye or brain. 24 FPS is just a convenient and very old standard to produce with trick and limits a non interactive, good enough looking movie:

1 - Motion blur in the picture trick the eye to see the animation smoother than it is. Lag would be painfully noticeable if you were to watch 24 fps without blur. Don't expect a 3D game to be as good as the real motion blur from time of light exposition on a real thing.

2 - On interactive game, if you click on a button and the action display in 1/30th or 1/60 you will notice. In a movie you don't have any reference to assume a picture is late or not. In a game you compare to your own input.

3 -  You need only 1 fps to display an unmoving wall, but the faster the movement, the more fps you need to make it smooth. That's why fast camera travellings in movies doesn't look so great.

4 - Even for a non interactive motion blurred movie and no super fast travelling... go to 48 fps and you will notice it a lot. In fact it will fill a little wierd, not like a movie. It will feel more real.