By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Xbox One Will Catch Up To Playstation 4 in Performance.

I love Jega's thread. Need more of him than the never ending spamming threads by avigwake.

Go Jega!

Around the Network

It's like trying to argue that 1 is more than 2.

My brain hurts after reading things like these...It's as if these posters are trying to convince me and others that a circle is really a square.

Good one OP, but I'm moving on and so should you.

No.

Wait wait wait.... no.

Did you not see the Tomb Raider game which runs ~60fps on PS4 and ~30 on the X1? Are you going to tell us less is more now?

My 8th gen collection

Jega said:

Here is my 2 cents on the whole performance debate between the Xbox One and the Playstation 4.

Number 1

Ever since 2005 when sony started putting the 1080p truehd logo on their bravia hd tvs., I thought it didnt make any sense and here's why?

Read carefully, True HD is 720p that is 1366 x 768 pixels which equals more than 1 million pixels.

Sure 1080p is more pixels and a higher resoltuion, but if you are gaming in 720p you shouldn't feel like you are missing out if you are not gaming in 1080p.

I challenge anyone to test it out for yourself. Try two of the same tvs both capable of 1080p run the xbox one version on one tv and run 

the playstation 4 version on the other tv, with the 2 tvs side by side, the difference will be marginal at best.

Number 2

What should matter to gamers more than anything else is FRAME RATE.

I would prefer a game to run in 720p at 60 frames than a game to run at 1080p at 30 frames per second any day.

I am hearing Infamous second son will run at 30 frames at 1080p. Playstation fans should not be happy with this.

Xbox One have delivered on the true hd experience 720p at 60 frames per second.

So far, Microsoft is delivering on what matters.

Number 3

So what is the fanboys really talking about the POWER of the Playstation 4 vs the Xbox One.

I took the liberty of checking this out for myself.

From the information I have gathered from various sources, it breaks down like this.

The Playstation 4 does indeed have a faster GPU.

OMG! GASPS! Playstation 4 is better. I knew it all along. I knew it all along.

BUT WAIT.

But wait, what do you mean wait?

There is a but.

One of the GPU's were bound to be faster than the other has it is two different companies. Sony and Microsoft would have to 

work together to ensure both consoles were the exact same speed. DUH!

The Playstation 4 having a faster GPU means nothing because multiplatform games will not take advantage of that difference in 

performance. So multiplatform games will be based on the Xbox One GPU

Why?  

Because it takes to much time and will cost developers more money if the focus on making 2 different versions of their games.

Hence that is why you have minor differences like resolution as we have today and that is why the PC versions of consoles games

just have increases in only resolution and texture detail that is far as a developer can go. You will not see a major difference 

in the games. Xbox One will have a market developers cannot ignore.

Now!

How will Xbox One catch up to Playstation 4 in performance if the Playstation 4 GPU is faster.

ESRAM!

The 32 MB of ESRAM is faster than the 8 Gigs of DDR 5 ram in the Playstation 4.

What? Thats Bull@#$t you may say.

From what I know the the PS4 can do 176GB/sec while the 32MB of ESRAM in the XBox One is capable of 192GB/sec.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-one-memory-better-in-production-hardware

And that is just for graphics. The Xbox One also has 8 Gigs of DDR 3 ram which is capable of 68GB/sec which will take

care of stuff like app switching, kinect, and Artificial intellingence for game characters and physics calculations.

That equals to a combined speed of 256GB/sec for Xbox One and 176GB/sec for the Playstation 4.

So Microsoft did not sacrifice the game performance for other stuff.

That is why they put in the extra 32MB of memory.

Now which console is more powerful again.

Yes, technically, the answer is the Xbox One, by about 25%.

So what's up with these Playstation 4 games running in a higher resolution than some Xbox One games?

It's simple, Microsoft is late with the software development kits (SDKs) for to developers to take full advantage of the Xbox One.

Future Xbox One games will have no problem running games at 60fps and 1080p.

Also Microsoft will be able to do things that has never been done before to make Xbox One games look amazing.

Tiled Based Rendering!

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/x1-esram-directx-11-2-from-32mb-to-6gb-worth-of-textures.453263349/

Future Xbox One games will look amazing with this new kind of rendering technique.

So to wrap up Microsoft did not sacrifice any of the Xbox One's power for games in favor of kinect or app switching.

Rather they built a system that can handle all of your entertainment without making any sacrifices while being as

efficient as possible.

Point 1. So you're saying that the xbox one is as powerful as the ps4 because you can't tell the difference? That's not really a valid point. I can tell the difference between 1080p and 720p on a 23 inch tv from accross a room. I'm not saying that everyone can do that, but the average (below average considering that fact that I where contacts) human eye can do this means that there's differently a noticable difference. It has more than twice as many pixels, that's a lot. You're also failing to realize that the graphics on xbox one are downgraded in other aspects (anti-aliasing, textures, shadows, etc). This entire argument doesn't make any point about either's power, except that the ps4 is twice as strong. 

Point 2. When the only thing that's changed is resolution, the ps4 can probably get 60fps at 1080p when the xbox one gets the same framerate at 720p (COD). Or a significanty higher framerate when the the same/slightly lower res (TR, and a lot of gamers have said that xbone appears to be a lower res). Your point about infamous SS isn't valid. If the game were ported to xbox one, it would need to run lower than 900p to acheive a similar framerate. So ms is delivering in one isolated incident on what matters to YOU. And I know you're directly referencing TF, which IGN is saying is having framerate problems. 

Point 3.  You're wrong about the power advantage over the ps4. The ps4 has a stronger GPU, by about 1.5 times, just in raw performance. There's also more ROPS and other parts that are usually overlooked.  The near 50% is also accounting for the GPU's higher clock, especially considering the power reserved for kinnect. There's also the RAM bandwidth. The PS4 has a 170gb/s memory bandwidth I believe (might be a little lower/higher). The xbox one's has a bandwidth of 190 gb/s and 66gb/s for the esram and DDR3 respectively. This does not translate into an overall higher bandwidth, as you don't just simply add together the bandwidth as Major Nelson did, which has been said by many tech analysts. It's also been stated by various devs that the esram is hard to program for, encombering, and possibly a bottleneck for the system overall, as 32mb ram is barely enough for anything with. 

Your BUT WAIT! point, is already proven false. PC and ps4 are being used as the main platforms of developement, and then the games are being scaled down so they can be playable on the xbox one. I don't even know why you would try to use this as a point when almost EVERY game on the ps4 performs better than on the xbox one, with exception of sports games, which perform the same on both. And so far, devs might be able to ignore the other platforms considering the ps4 is currently commanding close to a 70% market share in 2014. And the overall marketshare is growing by a couple percent every week. So if they are developing for both platforms, they might as well raise res or framerate because they can. 

I've already eplained your whole esram argument, but I want to keep going. So listening to an MS employee about stuff he wouldn't know about makes no sense. Now I want you to consider this before you keep assuming that you just add up the to bandwidths. If the ps4 added a kilobyte of esram to it's pool and got it to 1000 gb/s (which is very possible), would it now have a bandwidth of 1176? It's more extreme, but the same concept. And I also don't know where your 25% stronger arugment comes from. Assuming your logic of the sum bandwidth idea, the PS4 would still be about 4 or 5 percent stronger (50% stronger gpu vs 46% higher bandwidth).  The ps4 also has a secondary CPU, allowing fewer resources of the main system being used to run background tasks. The question on this point isn't if the xbox one is stronger, but how much stronger than the xbox one the ps4 is. Even Microsoft has come out and said that the PS4 is stronger, just accept it. 

Also, before I say anything about tiled resources. I want you to explain to me what tiled resources are. No copy and past, your words because I'm betting it's more than likely that you don't know what it is. 

Around the Network
Jega said:
FlamingWeazel said:
Jega said:

You are just not getting it. Without the memory the GPU is useless, and visa versa.

I realise that, but fast memory does not offset a weaker gpu period. It just causes a bad bottleneck, and the x1 has worse memory setup as well, only making it worse.  You could put the worlds fastest nasa ram in x1,m the gpu would still cause it to lag behind, a system is only as fast as its slowest part... Nothing any magic can do to make the x1 gpu process better then the ps4's, or even near as close. Ps4 has faster unified ram, so it's a moot point anyway.

As I stated the PS4 has a faster GPU.

BUT

You are looking at it from the opposite direction than I.

You are looking at the speed of the GPU while I am looking at the speed of the memory. 

For example if the the Memory in the PS4 allows just 2 million pixels but the PS4 GPU can generate 8 million Pixels, just for an example,

the full power of the GPU will not be used.

Hence it doesn't matter how fast a GPU is if you can fit all that power into the memory.

You are so full of shit I actually spent the time to sign up and tell you that you are full of shit. You have zero credentials and zero knowledge about how the GPU and RAM work together in a system such as the PS4/XB1. Joke thread indeed.

Speed of the memory only has a little bearing on how the GPU will ultimately behave. Think of it this way, the eSRAM is a 5 lane highway about 1 mile long being merged into a 3 lane highway the rest of the way ( the 3 lane highway being the GPU). Essentially, the GPU is not fast enough to process what's in the framebuffer.  That's all it is. What a waste of bandwidth your post was.

Toastboy, is that you?

Pointless arguments. I don't know if any commentors have enough technical knowledge to understand even what they say. Me neither. So why argue about something that doesn't exist yet for years to come.

What I see so far with all multiplatforms is that the PS4 is more powerful, and cheaper! period.

Very silly thread

Honestly never tell if people are joking or just stupid. Very hard to determine

I remember you! You used to make loads of pro xbox threads many months ago.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54