By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The industry wanted Wii to fail

@twestern
Do you think alot of these developer are jaded because they create the same game over and over again, and the fact that they don't get to branch out and inovate as mush as they want to? would you say you are bored of being a gamer/developer?

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

Around the Network

The fact that the Wii did so well in spite of all these naysayers speaks highly for the Wii marketing and strategy desks, and poorly for those people.

Sometimes your own foolish words get you less respect than your silence.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

BornFirst. said:
@twestern
Do you think alot of these developer are jaded because they create the same game over and over again, and the fact that they don't get to branch out and inovate as mush as they want to? would you say you are bored of being a gamer/developer?

We actually didn't get far into why he was jaded because I had to leave in a hurry (half sick, half I just had to be somewhere else).  With this person at least I don't think it's because he's working on the same thing all the time because now he's working on something that's pretty different than the other things he's worked on.  It could be they just get burnt out from working so much (because you do work a lot), could be working on the same thing over and over, or could be any number of things.  I'm sure he'll be in my office again tomorrow and we'll get back on the subject.

As for me, I'm not burnt out at all.  Though I imagine if I spent all day working and then came home and spent all day working on the same things in my free time I would be burned out quickly.  Luckily I do things like pen and paper gaming, Magic: the Gathering, or just hang out with friends to give myself a break.

@ manuelf

3rd place is last......

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

nitendo tought it would fail too

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

If you're doing fairly well for yourself you may begin to believe that the status-quo is necessary to preserve or improve your fortunes, and you may fear change. Truth be told, many people should fear change ...

While a (mostly) unimaginative publisher like EA can dominate the market with yearly iterations of popular series on a conventional system, smaller and more imaginative developers stand a chance to outshine them on the Wii by producing new genres or by taking an existing genre in a new direction.

@twestern

cool, how well do you need to know the syntax of say c++ to creat ? I would say i am a good at pragramming but not great. i am currently using openGl to do little demos, having a difficult time buildinng code for skeletal animation. The thing is i would like to develop games, but i don't really want to join big dev houses like EA, where you have to be a big name in order to have creative freedom. Me and some of my friends are thinking on starting our own indy studio, for platforms like wiiware. But it would be more of a part time venture. do have any advice on this at all?

Quotes to live by!

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

psrock said:
nitendo tought it would fail too

Huh!! proof? show me a link in where nintendo thought they would fail.

Infact here is alink to a quote where he believed it would be a success

EDIT: 

http://uk.cube.ign.com/articles/636/636350p1.html

link fixed

soz 

Finally, Iwata spoke on the Revolution's unique interface and if it would alienate third-party developers. 

"Well, of course, the idea is that the Revolution will sell and sell and sell so it becomes the standard in the industry," Iwata mused.  

Quotes to live by!

BornFirst. said:

@twestern

cool, how well do you need to know the syntax of say c++ to creat ? I would say i am a good at pragramming but not great. i am currently using openGl to do little demos, having a difficult time buildinng code for skeletal animation. The thing is i would like to develop games, but i don't really want to join big dev houses like EA, where you have to be a big name in order to have creative freedom. Me and some of my friends are thinking on starting our own indy studio, for platforms like wiiware. But it would be more of a part time venture. do have any advice on this at all?

A decent artist is far harder to find than a decent programmer, you will need more good artists than programmers, and you can leverage the work of good programmers by buying a licence to an inexpensive game engine (TGE) or by using an open source engine (probably the Quake 3 engine). Limit your scope to something you can achieve, and don't let your project get taken off track by gold plated requirements; everyone wants to produce a epic game but few can even complete a simple puzzle game.

Regardless of what anyone else tells you, avoid focusing on technical requirements and spend your time focusing on useability and enjoyment.

they basicly took the gamecube and added motion control to it. that's thinking like a third place company

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)