By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - New PC, I'm desperate, please help

lucidium said:

There are some exceptions with CPU heavy games of course, but generally speaking, changing to a higher end cpu makes much less difference on your framerates overall then spending the same money on a better gpu.

Yeah, that's always been my philosophy. Put at least twice the amound of Dollars on the GPU than the CPU if you're a gamer. In most games and most situations inside a game, it's the GPU that's gonna be the bottleneck. RTS games are an exception and Skyrim to some extent but most gamers tend to overpower the CPU compared to GPU.

Where would the FX-8350 end up on those charts though?

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

Yeah, that's always been my philosophy. Put at least twice the amound of Dollars on the GPU than the CPU if you're a gamer. In most games and most situations inside a game, it's the GPU that's gonna be the bottleneck. RTS games are an exception and Skyrim to some extent but most gamers tend to overpower the CPU compared to GPU.

Where would the FX-8350 end up on those charts though?

A position or three above the FX-8120 thats listed.
To be blunt, you wouldnt have problems in framerates with most games.

Nothing wrong with AMDs CPUs, they're not the top end but they are still good value for money. You don't need that strong CPU for gaming anyways just more focus on GPU, especially if you are planning on playing some mantle-supported games. ^^

Why not go with 8320 instead of 8350? They're essentially the same chip, other one just runs slightly higher clocks out of the box that you can easily catch even with 8320. You save a bit of cash that you can invest into something else.

I have good experience with Corsair builder series slimebeast, I have CM500 on my old budget build and its still chucking along great past a third year. I think they have 3 year guarantee nowadays, but could be wrong.

I would also recommend OCZ ZT-series as an alternative if you find a good price, they're modular and good value.

Slimebeast said:
Locknuts said:
Slimebeast said:
Locknuts said:
Corsair HX series and above are the best quality. The others I'm not so sure about. It would be best to go modular anyway for your sanity's sake.

So a Corsair CX 750M, you think is too bad quality?

WHat's the difference really? Is the quality of components, but what does that mean in practice? Longer life?

What do you mean "best to go modular anyway". Modular with what? RAM memory?

I just looked up a review of the little brother of your PSU. It actually looks really good for the money.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_cx600m_psu_review,1.html

I believe the CX series only come with 2 year warranties whereas the HX series (the only ones I use) come with 5 year warranties. So yeah, the components are better. If you're looking to go crossfire in future with the 290s in I would definitely recommend a HX series or above as they will defintely deliver the wattage promised.

Also, I just realised that the 'M' in CX 750M stands for modular. That's what I was referring to. You don't to be fiddling around with any cables you don't need.

Overall I would say the PSU looks good for 1 R9 290, but 2 might be pushing it. I personally wouldn't risk almost $1000 worth of GPUs on anything less than a HX series, but it's your call.

Cool. I didn't know about the modular PSU stuff. I like convenient and easy to use parts. So the PSU I listed is modular?

Corsair CX 750M, 750W PSU

ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze, Modular. 4x 6+2pin PCIe, 8x SATA, 6x Molex

I will take the chance and hope it will be able to run 2 R9 290s for many years. I don't care about guarantees since I never try to bring in parts that break, I just buy new stuff.

Yeah if Corsair see fit to provide 4 x 6+2pin connectors, then I'm sure the PSU can handle 2 high end video cards. You'll be fine. Oh and make sure you get some 290s with non-reference coolers (Twin-Frozr, Windforce etc). The stock ones are ridiculously hot and noisy. 

DucksUnlimited said:

Maybe not for their higher end stuff, but their mid range CPU's definitely give you more bang for your buck, unless something drastic has changed in the last few months

In the midrange, it's 2-core, 4-thread fast CPUs vs. 6-core, 6-thread  AMD chip with lower clocks and much lower performance per clock. I'm sure you can get some theoretical or massively parallel benches up that say AMD is faster when you use 100% of the chip's capacity, but for typical games Intel will run faster.