By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is getting both a PS4 and Xbox One worth it?

I would get the WiiU over an XBone if you already own the PS4 and vice versa.

The overlap is far smaller if you go the Sony/MS + WiiU route.

Around the Network

Nowayz.

Use the extra moneys to game on PC. IT'S WELL WORTH IT. Steam sales means that you get amazing games for almost nothing. And you can play it on the couch with a 360 controller all the same.

Nowayz.

TornadoCreator said:

Not at all worth it, not for at least 2 years. There's no even close to enough exclusives of note for either console at this point, and there still won't be at the end of the year.

My rule, though admittedly it's one I got from a podcast, but it's a good rule: Only buy a console when it has a minimum of five games you want out for it on the day of purchase, that you can't play on a platform you already own. This is a golden rule, and it's why I don't own a PS4/Xbone. InFamous: Second Son would count, Dead Rising 3 would count, Assassin's Creed 4 would not as it's on the last gen machines, Titanfall would not as it's on PC and will soon be on Xbox 360, Metal Gear Solid V, Watch_Dogs, and The Evil Within... none of these count, because they're all coming to last gen hardware. It's a hard rule to follow, especially when they promise better graphics and a better experience, but honestly the difference will be minimal.

My opinion is that right now, it's not worth buying either of them. However if you must buy one, buy the one with the exclusives you're most interested in and stick with that. It'll be late 2016 before either console can claim more than 5 exclusives that are must-have and while some games like Final Fantasy XV, Cyberpunk 2077 and Batman: Arkhan Knight may make you want to move up to the current-gen hardware now, they're multi-platform so you only need one to experience almost everything new this generation can offer.

My suggestion would be to go PS4. It has InFamous: Second Son and The Order: 1886; both of which are exclusives that look genuinely interesting. The Xbox One may have more exclusives but nothing really jumps out at me, and while Titanfall may look fun, you can always get it for Xbox 360 or better yet, get the PC version, which will be the superior version. Other than Titanfall, nothing on that system looks overly interesting except maybe Dead Rising 3 and it's not worth spending so much for one game. Even Halo has been pushed back till Q2 2015 (or so I've read).

Right now, unless you're uinemployed and have nothing to do all day every day, there's plenty to play on the PS4 to keep you going, no must haves on the Xbox One that aren't multiplatform, and if you already have a PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii, there's literally hundreds of games on them; most of which you've likely not played yet. Concentrate on them before you waste money on expensive hardware you'll get very little use out of.

I would say this is a great answer. As long as most games are also available on the older systems(if you have them) and there's not too many exclusives out there to really justify a buy I think it's not worth it.

DarkD said:

2) Third parties like Microsoft better. They made the best versions of their games on the 360 and not the PS3 last gen because that's where their sales were. Of course things are looking very different this gen, but historically....

In short, the best answer is to buy a Wii U and a 3DS and wait for the other two to reveal their hands.

lolz 3rd partied like MS better,  its not 2007 any more.  Historically 3rd prties prefer PS, xbox was their console of choice for half a gen.

The last choice short of giving up gaming is the wii u.  A used wii a 5/10 dollar games will get you pretty much the same gaming as the U.  Worst impulse buy iv made has been the wiiU.

Whats to revel, PS4 is the console of choice.  Marlet deemd it so.

I wouldn't really recommend it yet. If you have an xbo or ps4, you should be good for a year or 2 until some more exclusives come out to make the purchase worth it.

Around the Network

I have all three current gen... Wii U gr8 for the kids and me to play games with them. Xbox one has a few good exclusives but annoying machine, it's very slow installing and i've had numerous problems with installing games and it saying it's gotta reinstall all the time. Very frustratingly slow. Ps4 is my main machine speedy compared to xboxone and looks like the power within will outdo anything on the xbox one.  currently have 10 games for ps4 . 4 for xbox one which are all exclusives and 24 on wii u.

I think it's worth having the both because at the end of the day xbox will have some really good exclusives and the Ps4 has too plus ps4 is better machine with better 3rd party.

If you want both sets of exclusives then sure. If you're mainly interested in 3rd party games then you should probably just get one.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

i am considering getting a xbox one in the future. it needs a slim model, pricedop, no kinect, and some more exclusives for that. so maybe in 3 years or something.

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse

Haven't turned my PS4 on in a couple of days. It's just been Donkey Kong Country on Wii U, Walking Dead on 360, and Tomb Raider/WWE Network on PS3. So, not only is it not worth owning both, I'd say right now it's not worth owning either!!

With that said, I'm gonna own them both before the month is over. I'm a walking contradiction.

Only if u have the money to do so and want the most options.  Then yes, deffinetly get both.  Reality of it is however, if u like exclusives and 3rd party games, both seem to have plenty in the arsenal (PS4 has more in the forseable future, but both have them). Either way u shouldn't have a problem keeping busy as they take off.

If u prefer PS exclusives and want the best performance this console gen has to offer with decent media functionality, get PS4.

If u like MS exclusives and dont mind performance taking a back seat or u want a better media center that plays games, get X1.

If u only care about 3rd party games and indies, get a PS4.

If u can't afford both but want a nice side dish for ur main course, get a WiiU. Also a good console for kids.

Thats how I see it anyway.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261