By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - N+ cost $214,000 to make for XBLA - how fast will it turn a profit?

This game is also on DS and PSP.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Interesting article.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Interesting. You do a good job with this stuff, Mr. Stickball. I look forward to seeing you cover WiiWare/Virtual Console as well as PSN in the future.

BottledSpringWater - of course an 'arcade' game can be over $200,000 - you do realize these games are coded using the same programs, the same way a game like Halo 3, or Super Mario Galaxy, right? Games cost time to make, which if your hired as a programmer, or anything associated. The difference is the fact that N+ cost about 1/100th (or 1%) of what a big PS3 or X360 game cost.

outlawuron - N+ will be on DS/PSP, but that version of N+ wasn't created by the same studio that the XBLA version was - N+ for X360 was made by MetaNet, the creators of N, and Klei Entertainment helping with other aspects of the game (as they've had experience with making XBLA games). N+ for DS/PSP isn't out yet (slated for a 3/15/08 release). N+ for PSP/DS is being made by SilverBirch, and published by Atari.

As for a breakdown of various "requirements" for a game making it's cash back on XBLA. Remember: Microsoft takes 30% of any given game's revenue on XBLA to cover it's costs (and sale of XBL Points via retailers). More is taken if Microsoft assists in coding the game (in which some games are sent to MS to basically be made, whilst the original IP holder pockets 50% of the income).

Production CostLTD Sales needed @ $5 USD Req. Wk 1 Sales @ $5    
 $125,000 35,714 1,785   
 $214,000 61,142 3,057   
 $500,000 142,857 7,142   
  LTD Sales needed @ $10 USD Req. Wk 1 Sales @ $10   
 $125,000 17,857 892   
 $214,000 30,571 1,528   
 $500,000 71,428 3,571   

LTD Break Even = 18 months.

Week 1 Sales = 5% of LTD Sales of 18 months.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

The DS and PSP versions will probably make shure this game will get a profit , but in the same time this could be a surprise hit on the XBLA ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

I'm really interested to see how the XBLA sales compare to the DS sales (its not fair to compare PSP software sales with any other hardware)

well, considering how addictive N is on the PC, if they've implemented some multiplayer features on Xbox Live like they said they did with (I think) DS and PSP, then I'm pretty sure this will be a huge hit. Esspecially since Xbox Live crowd are known for being the hardcore obsessive, the challenge that N brings to teh table is huge.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Hm, wonder how far back average budget for a console (or homecomputer) game was $200K. I bet Jet Set Willy was a bit cheaper than that :)

Great read, and great analysis mrstickball. This reminds me of an interview I read on a Finnish gaming site about the development of Super Stardust HD. I might translate bits of that if there's any interest?

Plaupius - any tidbits about downloadable games on any of the 3 major services is always a good read.

Grey Acumen - N+ on X360 has multiplayer, and create-your-own-levels, as well as lots of other extras. It's amazing what they did with 16 megabytes of space for a download.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.