By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - PS3 or XBOX360? which one should i get?

The Triple

Friend Code : 2878 - 9590 - 0767

Around the Network

Based on what I have seen (you can't pay for online cause you are young), go with the PS3. You can always use it as a Blu-Ray player 3-5 years down the road too. By then even your parents might want one.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

If you want to play games, pick the 360, but if you want to participate in second life....errrr...home, then pick the PS3. Think about it...you'll be able to basically do things in the game like in second life...all of this for free. I'm wondering if sony is going to start letting people play all their online games like Everquest and Planetside for free...wait a minute...is anybody still playing those games? Maybe Sony can tie it in, so that PS3 owners can play those games for free as well...lol.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

I say get a PS3. It has built in wifi and you can play online for free. If money is of little concern for whoever is buying this for you, I would recommend getting the 80GB or 60GB PS3 (if you can find it). You will have a huge library of PS2 games which you can get cheap, a decent selection of PS3 games, and what should be a good upcoming year of PS3 games.

I'd say it depends on the type of games you like an whether or not you have a gaming PC. If you have a gaming PC the PS3 is an easy choice since, you can just get a lot of the big games on PC. If not, the 360 is a lot cheaper than buying a new, gaming level PC.

For game types, being a western console, the 360 has a heavy lean towards western games. It's often labeled as an FPS console and such, but this is really unfair. It has a good variety of genres, but the majority of games come from western developers and western games in many genres are distinctly different from Japanese games. And that's different, not better/worse. So if you tend to like western games better, the 360 is probably the best choice. Throughout its life it's likely to continue getting a lot of exclusive and PC/360 (MS exclusive) games from western developers.

The PS3 on the other hand has a wider variety (though fewer games right now) since it has more support from Japan. It has plenty of support from western developers as well, but not as much as the 360. If you favor Japanese games and don't play many western games, the PS3 is definitely the way to go.

Overall the 360 really has a much better library now, but that's at least in part due to it being on the market a year longer and the PS3 will close the gap at least somewhat eventually. If you like western games(especially FPS and action games) and don't have a gaming PC, get a 360. If you like a mix or prefer Japanese games the PS3 is probably the better bet. However, being a year behind, the PS3 library is still a bit slim.