By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 5 Reasons To Buy A Wii U

I'm doing these threads for all the systems at the moment, as a sort of "get to know the forum" exercise. We can discuss the strengths of our favourite systems and I get to know the lay of the forums. So without further ado...

1. The Gamepad Controller

People may scoff but how many of you own a DS/3DS/Vita/PSP that you rarely take out of the house and only play in bed, sitting around the house, or on the toilet (eeeewww... :P). We all know how nice it is to just pick up and play a handheld and the Wii U has given us all that but with the processing power of a home console backing it up. That's pretty damn sweet.

2. Backwards Compatibility

Why own a Wii? The only console to date to still have backwards compatibility and I'm so thrilled to hear it as I don't own a Wii... never did. With the Wii U I was able to experience great games like Pandora's Tower, Zelda: Twilight Princess, and The Last Story to name but a few; and there's loads more I want to try. This is fantastic as it also meant, despite the scoffing of "real gamers", that the Wii U launched with an existing game library, which made it a very easy choice for me to pick up.

3. Third Party Upgrades

I was so happy to pick up these games; the likes of Darksiders 2 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Already great games only now they have all the DLC on the disc, slightly upgraded graphics, and they're £10 cheaper... How can I argue with that. The Wii U effectively has the definitive editions of some of the best late release games of last generation.

4. Call Of Duty

I don't like Call Of Duty, never have, probably never will. I don't enjoy the FPS genre, and actually actively dislike the first person perspective, it makes me feel sick. That said, I have friends that do and have on occation played the games. The Wii U is the best place, by a long long margin, to play Call Of Duty online. Why? Because the average Wii U gamer is 26-32 years old, respectful, and shows at least some level of sportsmanship. Sure there's less people playing, you may have to wait a minute or so to get a match, but it's worth it to not be playing with a bunch of sexist, racist, homophobic 13 year olds who despite being children and almost certainly virgins who've never even seen a naked woman, they still spend the entire match talking about how much sex they have and which of your family members they intend to rape. Call me old fashioned if you want, but I prefer not having to game with the scum of the industry.

5. Nintendo First Party Royalty

Let's be fair, we're picking up the Wii U for Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong etc. and we all know that. But why? Because they're fucking awesome. Even now, first party Nintendo games are some of the finest games produced and they deserve the praise they get. Add in new first party games with more mature themes/style like Bayonetta and X, and you have a line-up other consoles would kill for. This reason alone would be enough for many of us I'm sure.

So those are my 5 reasons to buy a Wii U. Hopefully people found it an interesting read and we'll get a good discussion out of it.

Around the Network

Should've included indies on the list like you did for PS4...

anyways, Wii U will be my only console this gen. Once I actually have some disposable income, I will run to pick one up.

sundin13 said:

anyways, Wii U will be my only console this gen. Once I actually have some disposable income, I will run to pick one up.

I wanted to limit myself to 5 reasons and the Wii U never felt like a home for indie games as much as PS4 or PC... still it's good to know they're supporting indie developers.

TornadoCreator said:
sundin13 said:

I wanted to limit myself to 5 reasons and the Wii U never felt like a home for indie games as much as PS4 or PC... still it's good to know they're supporting indie developers.

It seems like every day I see more indie games being announced for the Wii U...heres a list of some of the games that are coming (doesn't include many of the newer announcements)

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/article/120-upcoming-wii-u-games-indie/

I seriously can't think of any.......

Oh maybe Zelda u or possibly the free online(thou kinda shitty)
That's 1 or 2 maybe

Around the Network

I would replace #4 with free online and #3 with deluxe promotion

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I made a thread like this probably a year ago, I'll try to dig it up later. I love my Wii U! I even got a Miiverse tattoo.

Kind of lol'd at the CoD point. But Miiverse as a whole is probably the most positive online community out there.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

TornadoCreator said:

So those are my 5 reasons to buy a Wii U. Hopefully people found it an interesting read and we'll get a good discussion out of it.

I would replace reason 4, with a free online gaming with a respectful community, instead of linking it to a single game. The miiverse is a very good place to spend some time, share your messages, etc.

Also, you should consider including the lower price somewhere, the console with a game costs 300 U$, that is bellow the competition asking price, and include as I mentioned 1 game and free online, so no hidden extra costs.

flagstaad said:
TornadoCreator said:

I would replace reason 4, with a free online gaming with a respectful community, instead of linking it to a single game. The miiverse is a very good place to spend some time, share your messages, etc.

Also, you should consider including the lower price somewhere, the console with a game costs 300 U$, that is bellow the competition asking price, and include as I mentioned 1 game and free online, so no hidden extra costs.

Both very good points actually yeah. I was limiting myself to 5 points, but the lower price point is definitely a strong point for buying it and if I played games online much I'm sure I'd agree abou the online community as a whole. I'll be honest, I wrote point #4 that way as I found it amusing that I could come up with a genuine reason to declare the Wii U the best place to play Call Of Duty... the point can easily be extended to online gaming as a whole though. I, personally, am more of a single player gamer anyway so it's less important to me, but my friends who play Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2, Monster Hunter 3, and Warriors Orochi 3 online a fair bit, they say it's far better than other consoles community wise and it's free which is getting rarer.