By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I Believe Xbox One Needs A Mininum $150 Pricecut To Be Competitive Again (I Eat That Crow)

thismeintiel said:
Hibern81 said:
... And for those talking about a Ps4 price cut, dream on.

Why would you say that?  PS4 is 100% going to get a price cut next year.  Probably by $50.  And if the One's pricecut this year actually does something, they may drop by $20-$30 this year.

Lol, why don't you just say that it will get a price cut in the next 5 years to be safe.  Of course it will get a price cut eventually, I think he just meant it won't get one sooner than later.  Besides, if PS4 continues to sell at the current pace, Sony is not cutting the price.

Around the Network
Cj2i3 said:
BeElite said:
Cj2i3 said:
Toss that Kinect in the garbage, cut that baby to 350 and watch Xbone's fly off the shelf.

add some exclusives and yep.

Ps4 already proved that you don't need exclusives to sell consoles, unless people really are buying the PS4 for Knack and Killzone.

guess I could add change that marketing strategy to captivate gamers rather than captivating a demographic which doesn't buy consoles in the first place.

This is one of the more interesting things about PS4 sales. It really doesn't have any current must buy killer apps. It's almost as though people are being motivated to buy them because of the consumer frenzy tied to items that are in short supply relative to demand.

Granted, people can buy a PS console knowing what franchises they can expect to see in the future (just like buying any Nintendo hardware), but the key reason to rush to buy a console before those games are even available is simply because a lot of people are motivated to buy something now when it becomes momentarily available that they might not be able to buy at their convenience later. 

Price-wise, the $399 SKU is in line with what most early adopters are willing to pay. The consumer frenzy factor probably results in some additional sales from people who wouldn't buy otherwise, but my guess would be these either don't stay in homes for long before being sold, or they don't see much use, meaning they aren't tied to software sales. A console that's not selling software is essentially useless to the manufacturer given the margins. 

greenmedic88 said:
Cj2i3 said:
BeElite said:

add some exclusives and yep.

Ps4 already proved that you don't need exclusives to sell consoles, unless people really are buying the PS4 for Knack and Killzone.

guess I could add change that marketing strategy to captivate gamers rather than captivating a demographic which doesn't buy consoles in the first place.

This is one of the more interesting things about PS4 sales. It really doesn't have any current must buy killer apps. It's almost as though people are being motivated to buy them because of the consumer frenzy tied to items that are in short supply relative to demand.

Granted, people can buy a PS console knowing what franchises they can expect to see in the future (just like buying any Nintendo hardware), but the key reason to rush to buy a console before those games are even available is simply because a lot of people are motivated to buy something now when it becomes momentarily available that they might not be able to buy at their convenience later. 

Price-wise, the $399 SKU is in line with what most early adopters are willing to pay. The consumer frenzy factor probably results in some additional sales from people who wouldn't buy otherwise, but my guess would be these either don't stay in homes for long before being sold, or they don't see much use, meaning they aren't tied to software sales. A console that's not selling software is essentially useless to the manufacturer given the margins. 

About exclusives... different situations. In the case of Sony, they are selling the dream (cause of what they did in past cycles and even in special in the PS3 more recently. Not abandoning the system and having kick ass support until last year). In the case of Microsoft, they cant sell the dream, so they have to bring reality to it.

If Sony's dream doesnt come true its therefore reflected on the next cycle. Though that is unlikely given the sales.

So, yes. Microsoft definitly can use more exclusives. But, the price point is essential.

ethomaz said:
mii-gamer said:
$100 - with a promotion saying that they have killer instincts as a free game.

KI is free... it is not a hardware seller game.

It kinda helps if you trick the average joe that you are getting a free game. It wouldn't cost microsoft much if anything - plus you value proposition is a little higher then having no game advertised on the box

mii-gamer said:

It kinda helps if you trick the average joe that you are getting a free game. It wouldn't cost microsoft much if anything - plus you value proposition is a little higher then having no game advertised on the box

MS is giving a free game since launch... Forza 5, FIFA 14 and now Titanfall.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

mii-gamer said:

MS is giving a free game since launch... Forza 5, FIFA 14 and now Titanfall.

oh yeah i forgot they had fifa in australia. Still the more value you pack in the box cover the more enticing the product is. It couldn't hurt?

mii-gamer said:
ethomaz said:
mii-gamer said:
$100 - with a promotion saying that they have killer instincts as a free game.

Average Joe would probably feel hookwinked if they bought an XB1 for the "free" copy of KI, given that it's essentially a one character demo. But "Free Killer Instinct with every Xbox One" is not a part of the on box marketing. 

The Titanfall SKU on the other hand is a value added proposition even though it does require a paid XBL Gold subscription to really play. 

I agree.

greenmedic88 said:
mii-gamer said:
ethomaz said:

Average Joe would probably feel hookwinked if they bought an XB1 for the "free" copy of KI, given that it's essentially a one character demo. But "Free Killer Instinct with every Xbox One" is not a part of the on box marketing. 

The Titanfall SKU on the other hand is a value added proposition even though it does require a paid XBL Gold subscription to really play. 

Consumer dont take lightly to beeing fooled. That might earn you a sale now, but wont earn you a sale next time. Its something Microsoft is now learning the hard way. Dont incentivate them to continue down that road.

If you say you  give a free game, give a free game. In this case, KI with all content.

ethomaz said:

Landguy said:

I agree with this.  Dollar value match to PS4 is all it really needs.  The $50 price drop and a game would make it cost the same as PS4.  The demand that the PS4 sees today are mostly early adopeters which put a lot more value into the specs.  The people buying after the first 6 months are the casuals.  They care a lot less about the minor changes in resolution, if the gameplay is good.

That's why I expect the US to see a price drop at the end of April or sometime in May.  They will pack in the Kinect Sports Rivals and claim a parity in cost.

As far as dropping Kinect in 2014, NO WAY.  If all of the pack ins and advertising promos with retailers fail this year, they will have to drop Kinect in April or May of 2015.

I'm listening the early addopter talk since last year or demand will drop after that... in the reallity the causals already are buying PS4.

You will have to listen to it a lot longer.  Early adopters are just that.  They adopt a product EARLY in its lifecycle.  If this was a cell phone that will be replaced within 6-12 months, I would agree with you.  Due to the extremely long life cycle last gen, there are a lot more people who now have High def TV's and want to adopt the next gen right away.  Like I said"mostly" early adopters, not all. Like the Wii before, the PS4 has already gained a certain amount of the "cool" to have it thing going for it.  With the Chronic out of stock issue, it only adds to the fervor.  Had Sony had the instock that M$ had here in the states at the holidays, there would not have been as much of this constantly building demand.  Of course, they would have clearly outsold M$ if they had either way.

Sony clearly has the more sought after system at this point, and that won't change for most of the world either way.  Here in the US, the demand for the PS4 will stabalize when the instock issue is resolved.  Also, when M$ brings a little parity in price, the bleeding will slow or even stop.  As far as the rest of the world, M$ didn't even try to compete with the pricepoint they launched at.

It is near the end of the end....