By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo hes a higher chance of going bankrupt then Sony - Explaining why

NintendoPie said:
Nintendo and Sony both have the same chances of going bankrupt. Which is none.

It's not all about looking at short term profits or losses in this case. Bankruptcy usually has roots in earlier problems from companies, not something that is just now showing up on their yearly profit/non-profit.

Sony has been bleeding for a decade. It's not something that just started the last couple of years, as it has for Nintendo. They are far from being on level ground. Not even close.

Around the Network
torok said:
VitroBahllee said:
The spelling mistakes in the thread title make it impossible for me to jump into that much text that is written with the same level of quality.

But Nintendo has huge cash reserves so the idea is wrong even without reading it.

I'm not agreeing with him, but cash reserves aren't everything. BlackBerry has huge cash reserves and they are pretty much fighting for their lives because they have only one product and it isn't selling like it should.

Very true, there is a difference though. They didn't change tactics or attempt to expand to new markets and the little that they did do was too late. They did the same thing Sony has done. They didn't bring anything new to the market and they allowed some of their largets markets (the business sectors like business depot) to go to apple. They should have done anything possible even to the point of undercutting apple by mass to retain that market, but they didn't. Sony hasn't changed anything it's doing, it isn't trying to expand to new markets or developments and that is the same as BB. Where Nintendo differs is that they are trying to expand to new markets and developments. What BB and Nintendo do have in common is that neither have any debt. BB was way over optimistic of the success of BB10 and their development of QNX into some vehicles is too late for viability. The CEO's of BB sat on their asses and did nothing while they watched their ship they build sink, then when it was all but entirely sunk they finally stepped down and got someone to try to do the near impossible. Thorston has done a reasonable job with it, but it was probably too late and didn't have the foresight to look into different outlets. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

EricFabian said:
Lawlight said:
People always point to how much money Nintendo have in the bank. While I don't see them going bankrupt soon, I do see them leaving the console or dedicated handheld market.

Care to explain?

Sure. Nintendo relies on 2 things for profit - their console and their handheld. The former will always sell poorly (the Wii being the exception). They can't go back to making a big profit on each system sold like they were before because consoles are more complex these days (with hard drive, wifi adapters, etc). They also don't have the brand to survive in the console space.

Handhelds are going the way of the dodo now - no one can deny that mobile is killing it. So, where do they go? I think them diversifying is the first sign that they're now thinking that having all their eggs in the gaming basket isn't a good idea. As their relevance in gaming diminishes so will their will to stay in that market (assuming their other products work).

I'm not getting the whole " Sony is heading the right way" quote. I think you are being a bit.too optimistic. A decade of losses aren't magically cured with a quarter or two of better news.

The ps4 is doing well that is good. But overall sony still hasn't shown any true turn around or growth to this point.

Wait, Nintendo..has?... a higher chance of going bankrupt...THEN Sony.

So you think Sony will go bankrupt, just not before Nintendo does?...Were my thoughts when I read the title..lol

But seriously, I don't think either of them will be going bankrupt anytime soon.

Edited

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Microsoft makes a small fraction of money from Xbox, which is more of a long term investment for them. They profit mostly on industrial contracts and Windows.

I'm pretty certain the only reason MS even bothered entering the console market, was too mitigate potential damage to their main revenue sources should Sony have come good on their claims that the PS2 was a super computer capable of launching nuclear missiles and proving "Toy Story quality" in game graphics.

Had such a device have hit the market in 2000, it would have seriously compromised Window's position as an OS and then all the MS applications that go with it, Office etc. I'm sure some early Sony PR stuff for PS2 showed spreadsheets/pie charts etc on a TV screen.

Otherwise I think they'd have just been happy continuing to produce/publish content for Windows as a gaming platform.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Microsoft makes a small fraction of money from Xbox, which is more of a long term investment for them. They profit mostly on industrial contracts and Windows.

I'm pretty certain the only reason MS even bothered entering the console market, was too mitigate potential damage to their main revenue sources should Sony have come good on their claims that the PS2 was a super computer capable of launching nuclear missiles and proving "Toy Story quality" in game graphics.

Had such a device have hit the market in 2000, it would have seriously compromised Window's position as an OS and then all the MS applications that go with it, Office etc. I'm sure some early Sony PR stuff for PS2 showed spreadsheets/pie charts etc on a TV screen.

Otherwise I think they'd have just been happy continuing to produce/publish content for Windows as a gaming platform.

How though? Microsoft is a software company and Sony is/was/is a hardware company. MS should face more threat from Apple, Google, and Linux then Sony. Hell, Vaio's were running Windows 7 and 8. Sony only started going digital so heavily because of Microsoft, and some other reasons.

Xbox wanted dat PS2 marketshare, especially in America.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

NintendoPie said:
Nintendo and Sony both have the same chances of going bankrupt. Which is none.

It's not all about looking at short term profits or losses in this case. Bankruptcy usually has roots in earlier problems from companies, not something that is just now showing up on their yearly profit/non-profit.

Both companies stand a chance of going bankrupt. Sony, however, is at a higher risk of becoming bankrupt at the rate that it's going at.

PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS + 3DS XL Owner.

PlayStation Nation

NNID: aminryu1

I need to stop buying games...

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
MikeRox said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

How though? Microsoft is a software company and Sony is/was/is a hardware company. MS should face more threat from Apple, Google, and Linux then Sony. Hell, Vaio's were running Windows 7 and 8. Sony only started going digital so heavily because of Microsoft, and some other reasons.

Xbox wanted dat PS2 marketshare, especially in America.

Xbox as a product was started before the PS2 even launched. Sony's pre release claims were that it would remove the need to ever have a PC and be able to do more than any PC and it would do it as a set top box in your living room. MS saw this as a genuine threat. Remember if it truly did replace home PCs, MS would not only lose OS sale royalties, but also it would open up the market for other applications to take over from their Office suite etc.

Xbox was essentially a revenue protection project that also had the potential to generate a very good revenue itself (win win).

Like you say, MS is primarily software focused, so why would they release a loss making hardware product otherwise?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

So many defensive Sony threads recently.

Nintendo has significantly less risk than Sony. They have one clear focus and they are the market leader in the handheld market. Nintendo is a consistently profitable company, with only two major products on the market it's not difficult for them to change their strategy.

The Wii U has been a disaster, they bet on the casual market picking it up and the casual market lost interest and moved onto the next fad. Nintendo have hinted that they have new hardware in development/planning that will be backwards compatible with Wii U titles.

Personally I think they have to go back after the core gamer, or get into the Tablet/Smartphone business.

Sony on the other hand is a large multi-national corporation. They have business/factories worldwide and have fallen behind in many sectors.

Their hardware business is failing, they have lost market share in the smart phone, TV, music player and electrical sectors.

Sony used to have multiple sub-brands like the Walkman, Vaio, Bravia but only the Playstation brand is really still relevant.

That said the Playstation, film and TV businesses are doing well and I can see Sony shifting into a content creater/services company.

They have lots of first party developers to create games, as well as TV, music and movie studios that can deliver content to their devices.

The problem is turning around the hardware businesses, pulling the profitable sectors down with the ship.

#SaveShenmue

Top 5 Most Anticipated Games:

- Quantum Break
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Destiny
- The Division
- Final Fantasy XV