By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Will the Gaming Industry Crash?

Is our Industry headed for a crash?

Now 51 24.17%

Later 87 41.23%

Never 71 33.65%

Total:209

There might be a mini-crash, but I think games are here to stay for a while.

Around the Network

Pay to win, free mobile games and DLC will lead to decreasing quality and people turning away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_video_game_crash_of_1983

http://www.cracked.com/article_20727_5-reasons-video-game-industry-about-to-crash.html

Already has, the casual market on console is crashing hard. They went from being the future of gaming into irrelevancy, the one company that didn't put too much effort into chasing them is the one doing the best right on on the console market, coincidence? I think not.

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

If anything crashes, it will be Sony Corporation.

''Hadouken!''

chapset said:
Not on Sony's watch, now that they are back on top again gaming will bloom like it's 1996

not sure if being tongue in cheek???

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
sundin13 said:
Well the AAA market is declining but I don't think the video game market will crash. I do think that there will be a large amount of companies that will need to rethink their strategies and as such we will lose a lot of great companies to the evils of Smartphones (dun dun duuuuhhh!)

but seriously, I don't like where gaming is headed >.> it scares me a bit

AAA market is declining?

I'd argue yes...It seems more and more devs are moving to smartphones or spending way too much on a game and considering a game like Resident Evil 6 (which sold ~5mil) a failure and Tomb Raider barely making profit until a few months ago etc.. The industry is getting too expensive and is on very shaky ground. How long can we milk the big names until we lose our footing?

I'm not saying it will crash, I'm just saying things are going to change and I'm not really sure if it will be for the better.

for metascore madness!

Microsoft leaves and gives too much power to Sony.

I doubt the industry will actually, full on crash. As people have said, it's become too diversified over multiple companies in order for it to just go kaput. However, I do feel like if one of the major console developers goes under, then it will leave a large scar on the industry. Each of them are important to the stability of this, the gaming industry.

There will definitely be a decline from last generation, however. Last generation was inflated due to the overall success of everything on the market thanks to the casuals. That's clearly not working out all too well anymore.

lucidium said:

A little something like this.

Car - Microsoft
Roof - Sony
Ticket stand - Nintendo

Sonys going to crush them all?