By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US Threatens to Withdraw Troops from Afghanistan

the2real4mafol said:
Mummelmann said:
Threatens to withdraw - should never have been there in the first place.

Agreed, America really helped start all this by backing the Mujahadeen (some of who are Taliban now) in the Afghan-Soviet war (proxy war) of the 1980's. The 2001 invasion itself has not really had any benefits. It's only destroyed more of Afghanistan and left them with a corrupt puppet (Karzai). The "war on terror" was bogus with the stuff happening there by both sides.

Anyway, there's one thing Afghanistan needs to reduce influence of the Taliban. It needs to be allowed to grow it's economy, war only hinders that.

Here is Kabul in the 1970s before any wars kicked off. It's was still poor but a very progressive place to be. 

What exactly do you think Moden Kabul looks like.  Based on your pictures it makes it sound like you think it's a burnt out husk of huts with no modern stores.

As opposed to

Pretty much the same thing, but more developed.

As for reducing the Talibans influence.   Karzai can't keep them incontrol with the waning support the US is giving him.  Without the US, Karzai is screwed.  Hence why there is talk about bringing the Taliban into the fold government wise.

Around the Network

why can't Russia, China, and the US just take over the world and split it among themselves?

LiquorandGunFun said:
With the shitty rules of engagement from Despot Obummer, and them being involved with negotiations, i already know we failed now. US foreign policy is a embarrassing joke.

Yeah you definately are an intelligent source of political wisdom...

spurgeonryan said:
Is such a horrible place to be. I hope everyone comes home.

That's a bit fucked up to say, but ok.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

pokymon90 said:
why can't Russia, China, and the US just take over the world and split it among themselves?

It had already been conquered and divided between US(All the world), Russia(Russia, CIS(partly)), China(China).

Nintendo 2018

English is not my native language.
Around the Network

They need to withdraw the troops either way, so...

Figgycal said:
Final-Fan said:
Figgycal said:
"Threatens"?

Lol it's an unpopular war. Most people don't want U.S. troops there.

The USA certainly makes diplomatic mistakes from time to time, but I really don't think the people involved are so incompetent that they'd take this angle if the response was going to be "yeah, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out." 

I believe this was Obama's stance all along-- as in he ran his campaingn on the promise of exiting the wars. And the last poll I checked says that most U.S. citizens are in favor of pulling out. I wouldn't think Afghanis would oppose.

Well, if US troops are what stands between Afghanis and increased sectarian violence or brutal repression, they may not be so hot to see us suddenly pull up stakes instead of gradually diminish our role as (hopefully) local forces become able to fulfill the same role.  (This is pretty much what's been going on for a while now, but it's clearly still a work in progress.)  

That's why, when we announce that we will pull out completely soon if we don't get them to explicitly approve our staying, it counts as a "threat" and they might not be dancing in the streets.  

As for the home front, it wasn't really what I was talking about, but I imagine that while most people support the idea of "getting our troops home", many people also don't want us to "abandon Afghanistan to potentially become a terrorist haven again".  So that's why there's a middle ground of keeping a few (thousand) troops in the area to sort of watch out and train locals et cetera.  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Figgycal said:
the2real4mafol said:
Mummelmann said:
Threatens to withdraw - should never have been there in the first place.

Agreed, America really helped start all this by backing the Mujahadeen (some of who are Taliban now) in the Afghan-Soviet war (proxy war) of the 1980's. The 2001 invasion itself has not really had any benefits. It's only destroyed more of Afghanistan and left them with a corrupt puppet (Karzai). The "war on terror" was bogus with the stuff happening there by both sides.

Anyway, there's one thing Afghanistan needs to reduce influence of the Taliban. It needs to be allowed to grow it's economy, war only hinders that.

Here is Kabul in the 1970s before any wars kicked off. It's was still poor but a very progressive place to be. 

This is the cost of war. Thanks alot to both Russia and America! 

Females wearing skirts and not being covered in a hijab? White women? English writing in a library?

That's clearly not Afghanistan.

Unless we fucked it up that bad.

Yeah women were allowed to go to school and wear what they want before in Afghanistan (okay not wear everything they wanted but atleast more freedom then they have know) USA is not responsible for that change but still the invasion certainly not helped..

Final-Fan said:
ArnoldRimmer said:

I've actually forgotten why the U.S. troops even went there in the first place. What the hell did 9/11 have to do with Afghanistan again?

Afghanistan was sheltering the organization behind the attacks, fool. 

That was the official reason they stated? And people didn't roll on the floor laughing?

ArnoldRimmer said:
Final-Fan said:
ArnoldRimmer said:

I've actually forgotten why the U.S. troops even went there in the first place. What the hell did 9/11 have to do with Afghanistan again?

Afghanistan was sheltering the organization behind the attacks, fool. 

That was the official reason they stated? And people didn't roll on the floor laughing?

Where are you finding the humor?  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!