By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US Threatens to Withdraw Troops from Afghanistan

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nato-chief-backs-obamas-threat-to-karzai-says-alliance-will-pull-out-of-afghanistan-without-bsa/

NATO's secretary general says that if Afghan leaders and the White House can't agree on a key security pact, the U.S.-led alliance will pull all of its troops and equipment out of Afghanistan by December.

The blunt statement from Anders Fogh Rasmussen Wednesday at the start of a NATO defense ministers meeting ratchets up pressure on Afghan President Hamid Karzai to strike a deal.

On Tuesday, President Obama threatened to withdraw all U.S. troops from Afghanistan by the end of this year if the Bilateral Security Agreement (BSA) isn't signed.

Old-fashioned military posturing:  If you don't do what we want you might find troops entering your country.  

New & Improved military posturing:  If you don't do what we want you might find troops LEAVING your country.  

Discuss.  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

Well that's how you fight terrorism. Get into a silly kindergarten fight with the host country and threaten it to take all the toys with you.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Threatens to withdraw - should never have been there in the first place.

I love it when political paradigms get turned around like this one has. Withdrawing is the invading haha. Seriously, As long as Hamid Karzai is president he won't sign a deal to keep U.S. troops in Afghanistan any longer than the current agreement states. The U.S. knows and are sort trying to scary other elements of the government to sway Karzai or overthrow him.

They shouldn't leave until every Taliban head is on a pike.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

Agreed, America really helped start all this by backing the Mujahadeen (some of who are Taliban now) in the Afghan-Soviet war (proxy war) of the 1980's. The 2001 invasion itself has not really had any benefits. It's only destroyed more of Afghanistan and left them with a corrupt puppet (Karzai). The "war on terror" was bogus with the stuff happening there by both sides.

Anyway, there's one thing Afghanistan needs to reduce influence of the Taliban. It needs to be allowed to grow it's economy, war only hinders that.

Here is Kabul in the 1970s before any wars kicked off. It's was still poor but a very progressive place to be. 

This is the cost of war. Thanks alot to both Russia and America! 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Now, come, come, that's not how you treat your business partner - I'm sure you guys can sit and renegotiate those profits from all that opium fields.

With the shitty rules of engagement from Despot Obummer, and them being involved with negotiations, i already know we failed now. US foreign policy is a embarrassing joke.

That's sad, no Democracy for Afghanistan then..

the2real4mafol said:
Mummelmann said:

Agreed, America really helped start all this by backing the Mujahadeen (some of who are Taliban now) in the Afghan-Soviet war (proxy war) of the 1980's. The 2001 invasion itself has not really had any benefits. It's only destroyed more of Afghanistan and left them with a corrupt puppet (Karzai). The "war on terror" was bogus with the stuff happening there by both sides.

Anyway, there's one thing Afghanistan needs to reduce influence of the Taliban. It needs to be allowed to grow it's economy, war only hinders that.

Here is Kabul in the 1970s before any wars kicked off. It's was still poor but a very progressive place to be. 

This is the cost of war. Thanks alot to both Russia and America! 

A library?