By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Layoffs Hit Sony Santa Monica; one project cancelled, 50 people fired | MS hiring.. ;)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/25/layoffs-hit-god-of-war-studio-sony-santa-monica

Layoffs Hit God of War Studio Sony Santa Monica

Update: Sony has provided the following statement to IGN, confirming what our sources have told us:

SCEA can confirm that we have completed a reduction in workforce at Santa Monica Studio. This is a result of a cycle of resource re-alignment against priority growth areas within SCE WWS. We do not take these decisions lightly. However, sometimes it is necessary to make changes to better serve the future projects of the studio. We have offered outplacement services and severance packages to ease transition for those impacted.
--------------------------------------------------- end update

Sony Santa Monica has released five games in its history -- Kinetica, God of War, God of War II, God of War III, and God of War: Ascension -- although it also has a significant presence in Sony's second party development ecosystem. Thatgamecompany (Flow, Flower, Journey), Giant Sparrow (The Unfinished Swan), and Fun Bits (Fat Princess, Escape Plan) are just a few of the developers that got their start working alongside Sony Santa Monica.

More recently, SuperBot created PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale with the help of Sony Santa Monica, and games like Hohokum are currently under development with the help of Santa Monica-based producers.

However, all has not been well at Sony Santa Monica, specifically when it comes to God of War: Ascension. The God of War trilogy that came before it sold prolifically, but word was that God of War: Ascension underperformed "significantly" when it launched early in 2013. The studio moved on to something else after finishing its DLC support for the game, though that didn't stop long-time Sony Santa Monica employee and director of Ascension, Todd Papy, from leaving the studio.

Strangely, Sony Santa Monica recently moved offices while noting that it was hiring and expanding its workforce. The most notable recent addition to the staff was none other than Cory Balrog, co-creator of God of War, who returned to the studio after a six year absence.

The original story is below.

Reliable sources have confirmed to IGN that there were layoffs at Sony Santa Monica Studio today. The Sony-owned, exclusive developer – founded in 1999 – is best known for its God of War games.

The extent of the damage remains unclear, though there are indications that one of the projects the studio was working on has been cancelled alongside this round of layoffs.

We’ve reached out to Sony and will update when we hear back. In the meantime, our very best goes out to those affected by this unfortunate news.
----------------------------------------------

for the gamers? :(

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

Sad news for those affected. Hope they get picked up fast.

I'm not surprised. It's been 4 years since GoW3 - what has the other team been doing? If a game isn't out within 3/4 years, it has to be written off.

PS4 DOOOOOOOOOMED !

Maybe if they didn't drop the price of GoW:A it could have made them some money.. it was like 25 euro's after a week or 2..

Around the Network

https://mobile.twitter.com/XboxP3/status/438486097295720448?screen_name=XboxP3

NiKKoM said:

That's perhaps a bit of a stretch. I believe they already mentioned they were hiring former IG staff.

It's strange though. They move to a new, larger location, have been actively hiring since October of last year and one of the directors mentioned they were trying to attract the best in the industry to create and "Oceans 11 style" team.

Then they proceed to downsize.

Are they just releasing some workers as new talent has replaced them? cancelling a failed side project? Or is there a major reshuffle going on? Possible cost cutting measures?

I'd love to know more.

I imagine Ascension being a total bomb is part of the reason. They expected that game to be huge. It had a Super Bowl commercial and a special red PS3 bundle and it still bombed hard.

That sucks when stuff like that happens to a good studio. Goodluck job hunting, because it sucks.

Dallinor said:
NiKKoM said:

That's perhaps a bit of a stretch. I believe they already mentioned they were hiring former IG staff.

It's strange though. They move to a new, larger location, have been actively hiring since October of last year and one of the directors mentioned they were trying to attract the best in the industry to create and "Oceans 11 style" team.

Then they proceed to downsize.

Are they just releasing some workers as new talent has replaced them? cancelling a failed side project? Or is there a major reshuffle going on? Possible cost cutting measures?

I'd love to know more.

Yeah its very bizarre. Perhaps its an underperforming side team, and sometimes you have to clear the team out and start again, or move people onto the more important projects. It's even more bizarre that this has happened when they have only just moved studios and talked about increasing team sizes. Also I dont think its fair for sony to get rid of people just because of GOWA poor sales... nothing has sold well on current gen last year, so that more indicative of the gen being so long. So i dont think it would be that.. most games released last year performed badly except GTAV and one or two others.

I hope we find out more and hopefully its not a big major project that they are working on.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!