By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 ACHIEVED what Wii couldn't (50 + % Marketshare May 2015)

It will unless MS turns around and quickly changes some stuff.

Wii U is destined for low ~20m sales, but Xbone could push enough to keep PS4 out of 50% category. Doubtful to me, but it could happen.

Around the Network

Take a look at PS3 numbers in Europe and Japan compared to 360 numbers. This gen Microsoft might take the US, but it'll hardly be by the amount it was last gen, and PS4 numbers are going to be favored by Europe even more than they were last gen with the better specs and cheaper price.

I assume the Wii U won't sell anymore than 20 million, and I think the PS4 is going to have more than a 20 million gap between the Xbox One.

DJEVOLVE said:
Xbox One, Just like PS3 will come back and sell very high, They already signaled they will drop price, meaning will well see a price cut in the Fall. Most likely $100 off. This will push numbers very high for XBox One. The launch was very successful and looks like they just need the price to be right. The ones not buying in, obviously think $500 is just to much and to many it is. However $399 would be acceptable I think. So No I don't Think PS4 will get 50% market Share. It's only a matter of time before MS makes some major moves and this will stimulate sales.

It is unlikely that MS will take an additional $100 hit off their margins with a $399 MSRP in the hopes of chasing higher marketshare. 

It's easy for platform fans to wish this, but a big part of the 8th gen when it came to the original design process, was to minimize losses per unit right out of the gate. I don't doubt that this played a role in convincing board members that the Xbox brand was well worth continued support and development.

The only way MS would backtrack and take such a loss per unit, would be if the platform was in danger of becoming marginalized and developer support was beginning to drop off.

We'll see. Time will tell. XB1 sales can't stay as low as they currently are (launch window or no, this is still the slowest time of the year for hardware sales), but I wouldn't personally be making mighty predictions that sales will magically blow up sustainably in the near future.

If they could sell 250 k a week * 44 weeks left of 2014 Would make 11 million which would bring PS4 to 18 million if sales can be sustained. Then add the holiday boost we could well be looking at 20 million in sales (If sales are sustained)

poklane said:
DJEVOLVE said:
Xbox One, Just like PS3 will come back and sell very high, They already signaled they will drop price, meaning will well see a price cut in the Fall. Most likely $100 off. This will push numbers very high for XBox One. The launch was very successful and looks like they just need the price to be right. The ones not buying in, obviously think $500 is just to much and to many it is. However $399 would be acceptable I think. So No I don't Think PS4 will get 50% market Share. It's only a matter of time before MS makes some major moves and this will stimulate sales.

Microsoft has never signaled a price drop, the only thing they did is 30 bucks in the UK... Microsoft probably wont do a $100 price drop until they can manufacture the Xbox One for $100 less, or unles they drop the Kinect out of the package (which they wont). Because if they would, you'd start selling the Xbox One at a loss, which is the last thing you want to do.

Last gen they sold for a loss right away, So did PS3 and many platforms before. This is nothing new. Xbox could sell one game and a XBox live subscription and boom they are profitable. They also included Titanfall for free which is a unofficial price drop. They will drop price in the fall. By then the xbox cost should have dropped a little. You act as if this is not possible, it's very possible. Not only that, I think they will be profitable soon after this drop. As a whole it's better then losing market share, This stops game sales and many other things. So the price drop is just a drop in the bucket amoung many other things. If I was them i would sell the Titanfall bundle until fall, then drop $100 in price. Titanfall needs a Xbox Live subscription to play. So this will push profit.

Around the Network

As far as the long game goes (total sales for the 8th gen, for however long it lasts), I would say it's very possible if either the Wii U or the XB1 tap out early, cut their losses, halt production and start over with the 9th gen.

I'm not sure what the value of trying to predict what will happen two years from now would be though.

greenmedic88 said:
DJEVOLVE said:

It is unlikely that MS will take an additional $100 hit off their margins with a $399 MSRP in the hopes of chasing higher marketshare. 

It's easy for platform fans to wish this, but a big part of the 8th gen when it came to the original design process, was to minimize losses per unit right out of the gate. I don't doubt that this played a role in convincing board members that the Xbox brand was well worth continued support and development.

The only way MS would backtrack and take such a loss per unit, would be if the platform was in danger of becoming marginalized and developer support was beginning to drop off.

We'll see. Time will tell. XB1 sales can't stay as low as they currently are (launch window or no, this is still the slowest time of the year for hardware sales), but I wouldn't personally be making mighty predictions that sales will magically blow up sustainably in the near future.

I don't know by the Fall, if this continues they will take a $100 off with no issue. Remember they are taking a hit on the Titanfall bundle with the free game, Why would they do that at all if worried about Profits only. Market share is a huge issue, they know this, so does the board.

I think XBO will get out of it's rough patch with March coming up. Titanfall will help a lot even though it's on other platforms. It will spread word of mouth greatly and seeing as COD is somewhat getting less popular it could be very popular.

With regards to people talking about a price drop, it's not going to happen any time soon in the US. The UK price changing was merely to gain parity to European prices which were running at about 20€ cheaper.

XBO = £400 = ~$670

DJEVOLVE said:
poklane said:
DJEVOLVE said:

Microsoft has never signaled a price drop, the only thing they did is 30 bucks in the UK... Microsoft probably wont do a $100 price drop until they can manufacture the Xbox One for $100 less, or unles they drop the Kinect out of the package (which they wont). Because if they would, you'd start selling the Xbox One at a loss, which is the last thing you want to do.

Last gen they sold for a loss right away, So did PS3 and many platforms before. This is nothing new. Xbox could sell one game and a XBox live subscription and boom they are profitable. They also included Titanfall for free which is a unofficial price drop. They will drop price in the fall. By then the xbox cost should have dropped a little. You act as if this is not possible, it's very possible. Not only that, I think they will be profitable soon after this drop. As a whole it's better then losing market share, This stops game sales and many other things. So the price drop is just a drop in the bucket amoung many other things. If I was them i would sell the Titanfall bundle until fall, then drop $100 in price. Titanfall needs a Xbox Live subscription to play. So this will push profit.

One thing Sony and Microsoft aimed for with the PS4 and XB1 was to NOT sell the console at a lose. They are both businesses, and can't affor that, both of them. Remember, TitanFall is a deal with EA and MS, and is limited digital deal, gone = gone. There's 3 reasons why Microsoft would drop price: 1). Xbox costs less to manufacture. $100 less to manufacture equals $100 price drop. 2). Taking Kinect out of the package, this drops manufactering costs with about $100. 3). Full on panic mode: PS4 is kicking the XB1's ass in every way possible, sales are as low as they can be and support from both customers an publishers is dropping.

yes

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.