By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Comments on PS4 Sales in Japan as the Second Shipment is Already Starting to Dry Out

mushroomboy5 said:
superchunk said:
mushroomboy5 said:

don't worry the way things are going Im sure there will very soon be one console in the market.

You're crazy. Only MS has the real option of leaving the console space and that's solely due to investor bitching and a new CEO wanting to show action to shore up MS financials. In reality, it would just sell Xbox to someone else, so the IPs would live on.

My remark was sort of an exaggeration cos I'm feeling pessimistic about the industry today... But in theory if what you're saying occurs (with Xbox) who's to say Nintendo or Sony gaming division won't buy them out just to acquire their ip's ( Nintendo could do with them, for example) then we'd be down one just like that... Call me crazy (and you did!) but I just get the feeling we're gonna be one console down by the end of this gen. 

Oh you meant one console down... you're post made it seem like there would only be one console on the market.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
mushroomboy5 said:

don't worry the way things are going Im sure there will very soon bewhat's  console in the market.

You're crazy. Only MS has the real option of leaving the console space and that's solely due to investor bitching and a new CEO wanting to show action to shore up MS financials. In reality, it would just sell Xbox to someone else, so the IPs would live on.

whats option do u have if nobody wants to buy your console keep making them and losing money?

So the end sales for this week should be interesting, I wonder how many more consoles they sent out?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

starworld said:

whats option do u have if nobody wants to buy your console keep making them and losing money?

Nintendo has enough money in cash that they can afford a few Wii U disasters before they'd leave the only market they are actually in. There is no way in any scenario that Nintendo will leave the console business this generation. They will not allow Wii U to live on for eternity and it will be more like GC in that it has a 4/5 year life max. But, there will be a new home console eventually announced and it will hopefully learn from WiiU/3DS mistakes.

MS is the only one that may choose to leave and that is solely due to investor pressure and a new CEO who wants to prove he is making progress, unless he correctly demonstratest to investors that a tv connected box is important for its other bigger products, such as windows. It also has plenty of cash in reserve and Xbone isn't a big money loser at this point. Likely to be similar to 360 in terms of general profitability and in long run finally allow their entertainment division to fully recover the billions lost on the original xbox.

Additionally, MS is not at the same cross roads as Wii U. Xbone has the power and capability to be turned around and produce sales. Not in Japan and its not going to match PS in Europe. But it could do well in EU and very will in NA if they make the right moves. They need to ditch kinect and match PS price.

vivster said:
Puppyroach said:
I belive that, at the end of summer, alot of people will realize that the 8th gen will be in trouble across the board, all three consoles will suffers quite bad sales in the end.

Because summer is such a good time to gage demand. Epecially the first summer after launch when many people are still waiting for price drops and games.

Well, yeah, since we are kind of measuring PS4 against Wii and the numbers it did. We also know Wii was an absolute monster during the holidays so the summer will be crucial for PS4 to show how well it can match or sell ahead of Wii.

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
vivster said:
Puppyroach said:
I belive that, at the end of summer, alot of people will realize that the 8th gen will be in trouble across the board, all three consoles will suffers quite bad sales in the end.

Because summer is such a good time to gage demand. Epecially the first summer after launch when many people are still waiting for price drops and games.

Well, yeah, since we are kind of measuring PS4 against Wii and the numbers it did. We also know Wii was an absolute monster during the holidays so the summer will be crucial for PS4 to show how well it can match or sell ahead of Wii.

PS4 will never match Wii sales. Wii will easily plow the summer numbers of the PS4. It's surprising enough that PS4 is still in front. That doesn't mean however that the game industry is suffering. We need to ackowledge where those sales for the Wii came from and that the demographic that bought the Wii early on doesn't exist in the console market anymore. I think the market will be about equally strong but with less consoles sold overall.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Puppyroach said:
vivster said:
Puppyroach said:

But the summer is a notable low point in console sales. I still don't get why everyone thinks that the PS4 needs to sell like the Wii did in it's first few years in order to be considered successful. I think it's more important for the PS4 to make sure it doesn't drop off like the Wii did.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Puppyroach said:

Your baseless opinion is off topic.

My 8th gen collection

superchunk said:
mushroomboy5 said:

My remark was sort of an exaggeration cos I'm feeling pessimistic about the industry today... But in theory if what you're saying occurs (with Xbox) who's to say Nintendo or Sony gaming division won't buy them out just to acquire their ip's ( Nintendo could do with them, for example) then we'd be down one just like that... Call me crazy (and you did!) but I just get the feeling we're gonna be one console down by the end of this gen. 

Oh you meant one console down... you're post made it seem like there would only be one console on the market.

yeah my original remark did sound like that but I was being a bit miserable... I doubt it will happen for a while but i do think the industry will shrink...I also doubt either sony or nintendo will drop out any time soon (ms...who knows?). Even if they fail this gen they'd give it another shot...but ultimatly I think in the future some of these companies are gonna have to rethink their strategies (which nintendo has already publicly acknowledged) to stay afloat and who knows what that could entail?