By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The truth about Nintendo

What do you think about Nintendo's attitude?

Awful, they should fail i... 189 14.04%

Pretty Bad, they should l... 385 28.60%

Not bad, they're just as anybody else 188 13.97%

Good, we need more like them 389 28.90%

Excellent, they don't need to change one bit 173 12.85%

Total:1,324
Anfebious said:
This thread delivered Zod95, you are fierce debater. Logic and reason are your allies and you used so many facts! You kinda remind me of johnlucas.

I hope you keep throwing this kind of threads to VG Chartz more often, quality has been declining lately and I would love to see more of your threads to ramp up the quality here.

With love, Anfebious.

That's very nice of you to say that. Thank you.

Yes, I always try to use logic and reason rather than feelings and personal tastes when debating with others. I believe there's always a common ground we can all get into. That's why I believe so much in the forums. That's why I'm here

The OP of this thread took me some weekends to write, so it will take a long time for me to do another thing as big.

Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M

Around the Network

ok

DarkD said:

They bankrupted them by making that abomination known as the PS3 with an 8-core processor that barely even worked.  As I recall, the PS3 production standard was that up to 2 cores on a Cell processor was allowed to be dead on arrival leaving only 6 viable cores.  They bankrupted them by turning everything into a graphics war.  It wasn't a graphics war in the PS2 generation, now developers feel pressured to create an unrealistic development standard.  If something goes wrong and even one of those triple A games doesn't sell, its bye bye developer (as in the case with Lair)

First, Sony hasn't created a complex architecture for the PS3 on purpose (that was even bad for them). Second, no one was forced to develop games for that platform. Third, they didn't turn everything into a graphic war. Do you think games like Eye Of Judgment, LittleBigPlanet and Flower are in a "graphics war"? Fourth, it was up to 3rd parties to engage into any graphic war or any other war they wanted. They were (and still are) free to do whatever they want to.

DarkD said:

Its Sony who isn't evolving,  All they do is refine what works with other companies and sell that.  They haven't innovated in their entire history as a company, not in a way that really matters.

Then Eye Of Judgment, LittleBigPlanet and Flower are only refinements from what games? And what about Twisted Metal, EyePet and Singstar? I'm also curious to know which games are Heavy Rain, Destruction Derby and Getaway refinements from. And also MotorStorm, Knack and Killzone.

DarkD said:

The reason third party developers is a question for another thread.  Is it really Nintendo's fault if their legendary franchises overshadow third party games?

Please read these sections of the OP:

2.1. Limiting third-party freedom
2.2. Despising partners’ needs
2.3. Using fear to motivate developers
2.4. Suffocating competition

DarkD said:

I wouldn't even call playstation Now an innovation....  It's doing the obvious, exactly what Sony always does

I haven't either. And, in a sense, you're right: it's obvious that Sony welcomes the future while Nintendo desperately tries to hold it back in order to protect their highly profitable easy-business.

DarkD said:

David Jaffe GoW creator is making browser games, Irrational Games went Indie, they won't admit that it's because triple A games aren't profitable anymore, but that's the reason.

I would say that's because smartphones sell 800M while consoles sell 30M in a year. The issue is not on the software, it's on the hardware dissemination.

Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M

MDMAlliance said:

This argument is filled to the brim with holes.  Voice acting is not a sign of a game being more advanced.  Real-time animations exist in Nintendo games, but are certainly not necessary as MANY 3rd party games still don't opt for.  "Character full-control" I don't even know what that is.  Nintendo is not "clinging" to these "architectures" and it ISN'T because of money either.

Games began with balloons and have gradually evolved into voice acting. Please go see the videogaming history.

Real-time anymations exist in games such as Gran Turismo, FIFA or Skate. Each collision is a collision. Each goal kick is a goal kick. Each skate trick is a skate trick. But, among the balloon-based games Nintendo has, such as Pokémon, you don't control the character to perform your unique attacks (that would be character full-control). You just order the attack and the attack "X" has always the same animation (it's not real-time).

You may tell that Nintendo has never evolved Pokémon into this level (so much desired by the fans) not because it would be massive money spending but because it would not be good for the gamers. But then I just don't believe you. My conclusions are different.

MDMAlliance said:

I think the fact that you keep using the word "cartoonish" means that you don't know what you're talking about.  It's like you think photo-realism is always harder to create than something that looks animated.  Your jumps in logic are astounding.

Of course it is. To buy cameras, to hire professionals to travel and shoot real places, to hire designers to recreate those environments, to spend the time to make sure that the result in the game is similar to the real thing. And realistic HD graphics demand eagle-eye and a thorough work. Cartoonish SD graphics don't require any of that.

So your complaint is that a Turn-Based Strategy game is not real-time? How does that even make sense to you?

It's also interesting that you use pokemon as an example that Nintendo puts no effort into their games when it is the exact opposite. Over 700 unique pokemon 3D character models were created for Pokemon X/Y. Each with 2 (or 3, I believe) attack animations, to be used with various attacks. This would align well with your cherry-picked criteria for a good game being one with a very large number of unique characters.

One problem with your assertion that only photo-realistic graphics require effort: they require no artistic skill. To say that artistic creation is not valuable, difficult, requiring 'eagle-eye' or thorough work is ludicrous. Conversely, one could argue that photo-realism is easier, because it requires no creativity, only pure technical effort.

Luck said:

I can't believe you seriously think you are being objective, like some have said, it must be a joke thread.

I was really willing to answer to your entire post, as I have been trying to reply to everybody that challenges the OP. I have that respect for any user. But you are not respecting me. I'm sorry but then I don't feel the need to give importance to your comments either.

Around the Network
Zod95 said:
Nem said:
"the truth" How dramatic...

No i think Nintendo simply doesnt let others set their pace. They go at their own pace, for better or worse. There are advantages and disavantages, but otherwise i am happy they are around.

This is far from being just about pace. If you don't want to read the whole OP, read the section 3.3, which summarizes almost everything.

You are just wanting to play the drama game. The first paragraph from the point you are alluding to mentions pace but in your own twisted interpretation .

You might have a point about 3rd party relationships, i have no way of knowing, but as far as the exclusives go, its business. Without those Nintendo consoles would be nothing. I guess that frustration is what led you to write this opinated nonsense and try to hide it under the format of a professional article.

Your just gonna have to learn to deal with it. Nintendo strategy passes in great part by differentiating their products in the market through an exclusive brand offering. There is nothing wrong with that. They dont put their fate on other companies  hands and make the system that allows them to carry on their strategy. Those that want to join in, great. Those that dont, so be it.

Should Nintendo try to make more encopassing systems t? Why? It does not help their strategy. They need to aim at consumer needs, not to be misinterpreted  with your  personal  needs. If theres sales third parties will jump on board naturally.

So, you say using a different architecture isn't innovation, it's hindering 3rd party support... Did you feel that way about the cell processor?

Tell me, what has Sony or MS given back to you as a gamer that Nintendo hasn't?

If you don't like Nintendo games, I imagine you would feel they gave nothing back. But I feel Nintendo has contributed a lot for the gamers, just as much as the others if not more. That is my opinion, but under your logic it equals to a FACT.

What about Sony's proprietary memory cards?... like the ones for Vita, I'm sure you loved those. Or how about their mini disc format. Or their Beta vcr ? I guess all those products that sony makes are the best for everyone! right? Yep Sony only gives back to the people. FACT

You are wrong, not everyone views the gamepad as a gimmick, you want proof then do a little reading in the forums. It has great functionality, I wish all three systems had a second screen. FACT

I have never seen such bitterness and illogical thinking since Ninjablade was around. FACT

With the success of the Wii, N had the resourses to create more ips and better hardware yet they came with wii u which only has a few exclusives with limited 3rd party games after over a year on the market.
remember, they abandoned the wii in its final years, yet they still weren't ready with games for wii u.

all that profit with nothing much invested. you got some good points, i give u that.

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

Zod95 said:
Kane1389 said:
Excellent text Zod. I agree with it completely. Yoy are easily one of the nost knowledgeable useres on this web site.

I know I'm not. I just did some research and took the time to gather and organize all the information. Anyway, thank you for your compliment.

Thats still more than what the majority of people do here when they defend thier favourite brand

trixiemafia86 said:
With the success of the Wii, N had the resourses to create more ips and better hardware yet they came with wii u which only has a few exclusives with limited 3rd party games after over a year on the market.
remember, they abandoned the wii in its final years, yet they still weren't ready with games for wii u.

all that profit with nothing much invested. you got some good points, i give u that.

They probably invested on something, but I too want to know what that was.