By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Are Xbox One buyers REALLY paying $100 more for weaker hardware?

You ask if the hardware is weaker, then you proceed to answer other questions about it (percieved value about specific features, that may or may not be relevant to many people).

- The answer is yes, the xbox one is significantly weaker

Does MS make a lot of money on every unit sold: not that much, but as a customer this is not my concern, my concern is that I get something I want at the price I am paying, typically consoles are sold at a loss, early in their life cycle anyway (this is the case for the PS4, Sony loses money until you buy one game or get a year of PS+).

As for specific features:

Kinect: You can get the PS4 Camera for less than the price difference between the two (honestly if you are to play dance games the PS4 camera does the work)

Headset: I can plug any headset I want on the DS4, and I can now use bluetooth that were already on the market for the PS3 as well!... so yes you get a better headset at first, but you actually paid to lock yourself in their headset scam business, nice move.

HDMI in/TV features: they are useless outside the United States, the HDMI port can't be used to plug other game consoles since it induces serious input lag... anyway, to use it properly (with the tv guide) you need to be on Gold, another feature you though you bought, but you actually locked yourself into the Gold membership and it's half implemented at best (yes it controls the TV/cable box, but it does not control the DVR related functions, it makes the whole point completely useless, you still need your remotes...) they should have included HDMI QI, like the PS3/4 have, it lets me control the console with my TV remote! no need to buy a "multimedia" remote.

These features may seem nice, but beyond the original cost they bring in other issues:

- To use them properly you need to pay 60$ a year FOREVER to keep using them, so if you are to buy the console for the entertainment value as opposed to any other entertainment devide it will cost you as long as MS decides to keep the service running and the day they decide to stop support for the xb1 Gold services the machine won't even be able to log into Netflix or HBO go, nor will it display your TV guide or browse the web with IE... if you own the machine 7 years it will have cost you almost 1 000$ (assuming you did not buy any games or a second controller and you never changed the batteries in the controller either).

- Since Ms designed the machine around these features the machine's processing power was sacrificed to the altar of multi-media features people from the 90s would have dreamed of, your favorite games will either look worse or run at lower frame rates because of these, they may sacrifice interaction or AI too... 

The reasonable cost of the xbox one for many gamers would be around 300 - 350$ at most... no matter that MS spends on the box, since you know you will mostly sacrifice 1080p gaming, this is where people would say: well I get Titanfall that runs only at "whatever below 1080p" but I saved a few $ in the process, I guess it's worth it.

Around the Network

Well power brick is a plus. it makes the game less susceptible to overheating and shorting out. heres something that happened to me recently.

We had rain, lots of it. it rained hard in my area from 3pm to about 2am. By that time the ground level of my house had about 2 feet of water in it. I gave my fat 360 to my dumb ass brother who left the thing on the ground plugged in the whole time. I counted the system out after I saw it completely under water.

after everything thawed out I decided to test it out for shits and giggles. It wouldn't power on. Thought it was dead but it wasn't. What had died was the power brick, I had 2 spares from my modding days and plugged it in and it worked perfectly.

If the power supply was internal the whole system would have been a dud. It's one of those things that is a inconvenience when relocating a console but a thank the heavens when your power company random any turns off and on your power. Internal power gadgets die to shortages.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

FlamingWeazel said:
Landguy said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Also might i add, that in order for xbox to be worth the extra 500 bucks that consumers needto find value in it. Most dont find value with Kinect so that doesnt make it worth an extra 100 bucks. The extra hdmi input is moot since most peopledont use more than they have

How do you know that most don't find value in it?

I have an XB1 and I find value in it.  You clearly don't have one and are making statements that those that do don't care for it. 

You also claim that the headset only came after an outcry.  True, M$ may have intended to not include it, but they never shipped a unit without one did they?

Umm sales show most don't see the value in it.Most of it is gimmicks or things people simply don't need.

Sales???  They have sold 3.5 million of them.  That is pretty close to the original Wii sales at this point.  Just because the PS4 is selling at crazt levels, you seem to imply the XB1 is selling badly.  You also imply based on your personal tastes that everyone has only your opinion.  LOL!!!

It is near the end of the end....

Now we know who the haters are... Thanks to d21. Like a male stripper at a fat girl party.

Say something that could be positive about Xbone and it gets torn apart quicker than someone getting tentacle raped.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

The size of a box is directly proportional to better hardware.

We all know that bigger box=MOAR POWAAAAARRRR!!!!

Around the Network
Landguy said:
FlamingWeazel said:
Landguy said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Also might i add, that in order for xbox to be worth the extra 500 bucks that consumers needto find value in it. Most dont find value with Kinect so that doesnt make it worth an extra 100 bucks. The extra hdmi input is moot since most peopledont use more than they have

How do you know that most don't find value in it?

I have an XB1 and I find value in it.  You clearly don't have one and are making statements that those that do don't care for it. 

You also claim that the headset only came after an outcry.  True, M$ may have intended to not include it, but they never shipped a unit without one did they?

Umm sales show most don't see the value in it.Most of it is gimmicks or things people simply don't need.

Sales???  They have sold 3.5 million of them.  That is pretty close to the original Wii sales at this point.  Just because the PS4 is selling at crazt levels, you seem to imply the XB1 is selling badly.  You also imply based on your personal tastes that everyone has only your opinion.  LOL!!!

Aerys said:
You could play Titanfall on 360/PC if you really want it, after testing the beta, ths game is absolutely not a reason to buy a console, especially when it's on 2 other platforms.

It's like buying a next gen for COD

Aerys said:
From an objective pov, there is absolutely no reason to buy One over PS4, if you want to play multiplatforms, you buy a PS4, if you want to play big microsoft exclusives...You wait until the end of the year- 2015/price drop. ( yes, it's insane to buy one now knowing the price drop will come quickly to compete against PS4 )

After reading these two posts I got from it that nobody should buy an Xbox One nor a Ps4 right now. We can all play our Asscreed and Fifa on Ps360 or PC and Halo nor Uncharted didn't release yet. Only games like Killzone, Forza, Dead Rising and Knack.

Sure, chance is higher that Xbox One will get a price drop as Ps4 will but there is always a chance that Ps4 will also get one or that there will be a console revision until there will be the games worse to buy a new console for. 

Pretty much exactly like I handle it, I wait for a better moment for both

UltimateUnknown said:
The size of a box is directly proportional to better hardware.

We all know that bigger box=MOAR POWAAAAARRRR!!!!

thats how it was the last two generations.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

d21lewis said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
At least in the US, they had free plus for 30 days I think ending sometime in March

I live in the U.S.  I don't have free plus.  I'll probably use the $10 thingy that came with the PS4 for a month of Plus and then subscribe for a year.

my free month was on the same paper that the 10$ was on, i think it was folded in 3, a free month of Plus, fee month of unlimited music, and 10$ voucher.

vivster said:

I always wondered what's actually inside. I mean bigger case for less hardware? There must be extra receptacles for the secret sauce.

Don't be foolish or feign ignorance. For It to host the Unbelievable Power of the Cloud it requires free space. Lot of.