By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lightning Returns impression

Barozi said:
I also loved FFXIII and XIII-2 but I know what you mean.

I'm only into the second day but I think I'm stuck (at least for the day). Went through one of the time gates on day one and stayed in that section (slums) there until 6am, now I'm still there on day 2 and the gates are closed til 8pm.
There's nothing I can do as far as I know except wait.

I'm guessing you're on the code section. You should be able to find 3 out of 4 of the codes in the morning around the town with the 4th number only being available at midnight.

While you're waiting (i.e once you've got the 3 numbers and waiting for the 4th), go to the south station and go to the Wildlands. You have to save a white chocobo in that area and there's also a bunch of new side quests through chocolina.

PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS + 3DS XL Owner.

PlayStation Nation

NNID: aminryu1

I need to stop buying games...

Around the Network
Barozi said:

I'm only into the second day but I think I'm stuck (at least for the day). Went through one of the time gates on day one and stayed in that section (slums) there until 6am, now I'm still there on day 2 and the gates are closed til 8pm.

Umm, lol. Use a ladder near the gate, they put them for that. geezz...

I played for a bit now and it was really really good that I had the lowest of expectations. I enjoyed 13 and 13-2 quite a bit but I was really worried about LR.

The time limit really is the single worst thing in the game. What makes it even worse it that there isn't really a necessity neither gameplay nor story wise to constrict the player that much. They could've easily just moved the clock forward after finishing main quests. It would just be A LOT more enjoyable if you could enjoy the fantastic freedom without constantly checking the clock and frantically fight every monster you see so you can stop the time again. I don't have a problem with grinding but I do it for fun and don't like to be forced to grind especially if the only reason is that arbitrary and detached time limit.

The game is clearly meant to be played through multiple times. Not only twice but 3 and more to finally max your stats. Looking at it that way one could really ignore the time limit since there are absolutely no penalties for running out of time. Even if you don't finish the main quest in the limit you just have to start again, with all your stats and items intact. You are basically getting a new game+ for not finishing the game.

I started enjoying the game after some time though. If you really get into the game and make time tables and manage your equipment right you can blaze through it and even have some fun in the process. This hurdle is too big though for everyone who didn't enjoy the 13 Saga as a whole.

I think I'll write a review after my second playthrough

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Putin said:
Barozi said:

Will try that but I already went to all the exits and didn't see a way out.
Still I was unsure if I was even supposed to be there since the enemies are extremely tough (and take ages to stagger even when knowing their weakness) and that bigger fly (I think it was a Meonekton) is waaay above me.

Yeah, there is a ladder near lower(on the map) exit oposite of the one near the station.

Around the Network
vivster said:

I played for a bit now and it was really really good that I had the lowest of expectations. I enjoyed 13 and 13-2 quite a bit but I was really worried about LR.

The time limit really is the single worst thing in the game.
What makes it even worse it that there isn't really a necessity neither gameplay nor story wise to constrict the player that much. They could've easily just moved the clock forward after finishing main quests. It would just be A LOT more enjoyable if you could enjoy the fantastic freedom without constantly checking the clock and frantically fight every monster you see so you can stop the time again. I don't have a problem with grinding but I do it for fun and don't like to be forced to grind especially if the only reason is that arbitrary and detached time limit.

The game is clearly meant to be played through multiple times. Not only twice but 3 and more to finally max your stats. Looking at it that way one could really ignore the time limit since there are absolutely no penalties for running out of time. Even if you don't finish the main quest in the limit you just have to start again, with all your stats and items intact. You are basically getting a new game+ for not finishing the game.

I started enjoying the game after some time though. If you really get into the game and make time tables and manage your equipment right you can blaze through it and even have some fun in the process. This hurdle is too big though for everyone who didn't enjoy the 13 Saga as a whole.

I agree with you there. I played it for another 2hours without caring about time and I actually enjoyed the game but all I have to ask Square is why force the player to do certain acts by a certain time and why force the numerous playthroughs? If a game is going to be non-linear, then don't impose a time mechanic. I really wanted to explore all of the Wildlands and Luxerion but my subconscious was constantly aware of the time.

PlayStation Nation

Barozi said:
Putin said:
Barozi said:

Still I was unsure if I was even supposed to be there since the enemies are extremely tough (and take ages to stagger even when knowing their weakness) and that bigger fly (I think it was a Meonekton) is waaay above me.

Even with the Cloud and Knight of Etro costumes, they were a pain.

P.S Cloud's Heavy Stike move is a beast when an enemy is staggered.

PlayStation Nation

well, i play a lot of time-limited kind of games like atelier's saga so is not really a big deal for me, since im very good saving time. I just finished Lightning returns normal mode with almost everything done in my first walkthrough so unfortunately there is no much reply value for me, except for the unlocked hard mode

aryu said:
Barozi said:
Putin said:
Barozi said:

Even with the Cloud and Knight of Etro costumes, they were a pain.

P.S Cloud's Heavy Stike move is a beast when an enemy is staggered.

Another tip. Go to the wildlands and the Canopi farm. Buy the 4 elemental garbs there. They will bring you through most of the early and midgame. Electronica garb is just perfect for everything Luxerion and most parts of the Wildlands.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

aryu said:
vivster said:

The time limit really is the single worst thing in the game.
What makes it even worse it that there isn't really a necessity neither gameplay nor story wise to constrict the player that much. They could've easily just moved the clock forward after finishing main quests. It would just be A LOT more enjoyable if you could enjoy the fantastic freedom without constantly checking the clock and frantically fight every monster you see so you can stop the time again. I don't have a problem with grinding but I do it for fun and don't like to be forced to grind especially if the only reason is that arbitrary and detached time limit.

I agree with you there. I played it for another 2hours without caring about time and I actually enjoyed the game but all I have to ask Square is why force the player to do certain acts by a certain time and why force the numerous playthroughs? If a game is going to be non-linear, then don't impose a time mechanic. I really wanted to explore all of the Wildlands and Luxerion but my subconscious was constantly aware of the time.

Well you just have to try to ignore the time as much as possible and just play through it multiple times without caring. Just think of it like 13-2 were you also practically revisited the game over and over.

They say that "normal" is hard but with the right configuration and some strategy and blocking skill it's really not that bad. Definitely going for hard after the first playthrough.