By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What if it wasn't Red? or a Ring?

Seeing the title of this made me laugh.
"XBOX three-shitty." Gold but im not a fan boy, clever

Around the Network
simonutd said:
makingmusic476 said:
Speaking of the RRoD, MS got owned at GDC.

ha ha thats quality, i think microsoft should be taken to an court for selling faulty goods liek what happenbed to apple and there ipod and fine them millions, after all they are selling faulty goods

I'm not quite familiar with what happened with the ipod, but seeing as Microsoft is covering the problem under their warranty, I don't know if a court case is really in order. It is however a great deterent to getting one, and is likely hindering them, and is certainly costing them a lot of money.

Edit:I'm pretty sure I have heard to it referred to as the Xbox 3 shitty before 

Here is my question: Why did Microsoft go to such elaborate means to tell their service department exactly what was wrong with the machine? Most consoles simply have 2-3 light values (on, off, standby), but Microsoft must have known they had a problem. Their answer: just put a coding device on the front to speed up repairs. "We'll let the first 10 million customers be our debugging group."

Imthelegend said:
PooperScooper said:
legend -

FACT - MS rushed their console
FACT - their console suffered because of it
FACT - the RRoD didm't get nearly as much attention as the dusty Ps3
FACT - RRoD is a bigger problem
FACT - RRoD should have been put in the spotlight more(recall would have been in order)
FACT - people have a right to point out flaws MS has. Especially since people really like to bash the ps3 and its flaws,

1. So did Sony. It should have been held back 6 more months at least.

2. So did Sony's.

3. Disagree. Heard much more about rrod than dusty PS3.

4. Agreed.

5. Recall defintely

6. People can point out of flaws of MS, Sony and Nintendo. All three aren't perfect and all could of done a better job of their consoles. 

Fact: PS3 did not need to be held back. It was in development for much long enough. They simply did not construct it completely correctly. Holding it back wouldn't have fixed that.

Fact: "Dusty PS3" was by far much less publicized and much less an issue than the RRoD. I don't know a single gamer that doesn't go to messageboards like these that knows a single thing about PS3 hardware issues. Inversely, I don't know a single gamer that doesn't go to boards like these that doesn't know all about the RRoD.

Now that you both have completely ignored simple fact to attack the competitor... Please, leave your ignorant fanboyism at the door.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Actually guys, when I started this thread, I was hoping for an actual discussion on the phenomena of the RRoD. In a way, it caught public attention as much as the Wii's popularity did. But i'm just curious if people thought having that different shape/color combination would change how easy it rolled off the tongue and keyboard, and thus changed how easily it caught public attention.

Also I was hoping there would be various posts suggesting inane alternate shape color combinations.

This really wasn't meant to be a "complain about the 360/how the 360 has been getting so much flak" thread.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

Well, obviously the name "Red Ring of Death" derives from the "Blue Screen of Death", and it probably caught public attention by recalling Microsoft's perpetual lack of quality in everything they do. In other words, people who don't own a 360 can sympathize because they have to put up with Windows on a daily basis.

I find it amusing because I don't have a 360 and I don't use Windows. Even if they have better games, it's just not worth it.

Oh man, i came here thinking of a funny name for the RROD and instead got into ... i don't know what's this thread about anymore =(.

either way i think they could call it the Brown waffle of death ( i don't know why but i've always think you could do waffles on the 360 :P)

and, i won't throw mud into any console :P.

-- Live only for tomorrow, and you will have a lot of empty yesterdays today--

Tavin:  "Old school megaman is THE BEST megaman"      courtesy of fkusumot :)

My mind has changed. My strength has not.    Kamahl, Fist of Krosa

PooperScooper said:
legend -

FACT - MS rushed their console
FACT - their console suffered because of it
FACT - the RRoD didm't get nearly as much attention as the dusty Ps3
FACT - RRoD is a bigger problem
FACT - RRoD should have been put in the spotlight more(recall would have been in order)
FACT - people have a right to point out flaws MS has. Especially since people really like to bash the ps3 and its flaws,

Absolutely incorrect. I have never even heard of "the dusty PS3" (I just looked it up on Google now, though), but the RRoD have been mentioned hundreds of times, even just on these forums. The attention of the two are not even close.

Systems owned: Nintendo 64, GameCube, Xbox 360, Atari 7800, Genesis, PlayStation, Dreamcast, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS.

Year-end predictions (April 6, 2008):

• DS: 94 million (96.0)
  • Wii: 46 million (44.4)
  • PSP: 45 million (43.6)
  • X360: 27 million (27.3)
  • PS3: 24 million (19.4)
  • PS2: 124 million (123.7)

Well to get back to the OP's question. It would have have been just a popular. It would have just had a different acronym. With PS2 it was DRE, gamers are creative and would have thought of something regardless.

Grey rectangle of manslaughter.