By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, DKC Tropical Freeze didn't move consoles

DKC Tropical Freeze is a mainstream game

It should have sold better 156 47.85%

Sales proves nothing 76 23.31%

Sales = Metacritic 27 8.28%

I wanted DK64-2 62 19.02%

Total:321

Maybe the Nintendo fanbase isn't about buying the console for just one game. Maybe they buy the console in advance in anticipation for all the games. So the sales bump for a next Donkey Kong game maybe happened in the first months of the WiiU release.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:

You don't have to tell me. The big hype and defense for DK on forums didn't translate in sales.

Thank you. It would have not helped Metroid either.

morenoingrato said:
Pavolink said:

You don't have to tell me. The big hype and defense for DK on forums didn't translate in sales.

Thank you. It would have not helped Metroid either.

Of course, and that's good as it is expected for Metroid.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Let's see how it control till next week. Mario manage to surprise us, the same thing might will happen to DK.

The problem is the Wii U, no game will make rebound this system. Not MK8, not SSBU. The problem is the damn console and until the Wii U ends it's life for good you will see franchise after franchise bombing. No Metroid or Zelda is going to change that.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

Wowza that is .... pretty terrible. 35K?!! There are like 1.6m WiiU owners in Japan and only 35k were interested (first week)

morenoingrato said:
Pavolink said:

Retro PR teach us that they choose DK franchise over others ones, but sales have proved that consumers choice is to ignore the game.

If you are going to bring up a Metroid game, I can assure you, it would have sold just as badly, nevermind a new IP.

The blame for the sales failure is directed at the WiiU itself, not the game.

Starting to agree with this.  The Wii U is just too expensive for what it is.  I'm not dogging the tablet, but rather the fact that Nintendo has poor 3rd part support, minus some shoddy porting efforts (even those are starting to go away).

I think Nintendo either needs a price cut (and to take a loss in the short term), or be content with slow sales at a profit/break even (where they are now).  The last sentence assumes we don't count R&D into the equation, simply HW costs.  Not sure what they were thinking releasing the Wii U at 3-350. 

Wii U sales for 250-275 out the door sell out in minutes (the more than a handful I've seen can move 1000-5000 units very fast), dare I say as fast as the PS4.  Nintendo needs to make that permanent.

Seece said:
Wowza that is .... pretty terrible. 35K?!! There are like 1.6m WiiU owners in Japan and only 35k were interested (first week)

2.19% of Wii U owners.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

JGarret said:
Pavolink said:
bubblegamer said:
What's next on the chalkboard?

Mario Kart 8.

On May 30th.

I fear the day you´ll be making a thread that says "So, MK8 didn´t move as many consoles as expected" or something like that :(

If by the time MK8 comes out they are still not moving systems, the problem is clearly not SW.  

The problem with Donkey Kong is that it's a platformer on a system that already has a number of high-profile platformers. The people who would buy Donkey Kong probably already bought the system for Mario. It's the wrong genre for a hardware bump. Even Bayonetta 2 will probably bring more new customers to the table.

Mario Kart and Smash Bros. are the only real hope remaining in terms of major system sellers this year.