By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My opinion of the titanfall beta.

ethomaz said:

starcraft said:

The AI isn't really bad at all, you're simply misunderstanding it's purpose.

The grunts are designed as cannon fodder, only the spectres have any real power, and even then minimal.  They are designed to fill the map, and be used for misdirection for real players.

Conversely, autopilot titans are designed to be lethal, and they are, their AI is very aggressive.

If it is not bad then I don't know what is bad because I never saw any AI like that... even the Titans AI is really dumb.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then...the number of pilots my Titan's take down on auto is pretty large!

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:
ethomaz said:
pokoko said:
They should tweak the bots up to insane death monster levels out of nowhere just to screw with people.

The AI won't change... it is really bad even after the devs said the AI was not possible without the Cloud... I know devs wants to make you get the Titan fast and for that reason I really expected avg. AI but not that dumb fest.

The game is fun but I guess real players could be a better choice.

The grunts are designed as cannon fodder, only the spectres have any real power, and even then minimal.  They are designed to fill the map, and be used for misdirection for real players.

Conversely, autopilot titans are designed to be lethal, and they are, their AI is very aggressive.

lol. The AI for both is awful. I shouldn't usually win a 1v5 battle even with the grunts. That's just lazy programming. I also don't know what you mean with good titan AI. I don't get crap with them when I'm out of them.

lt_dan_27 said:
starcraft said:
ethomaz said:
pokoko said:
They should tweak the bots up to insane death monster levels out of nowhere just to screw with people.

The AI won't change... it is really bad even after the devs said the AI was not possible without the Cloud... I know devs wants to make you get the Titan fast and for that reason I really expected avg. AI but not that dumb fest.

lol. The AI for both is awful. I shouldn't usually win a 1v5 battle even with the grunts. That's just lazy programming. I also don't know what you mean with good titan AI. I don't get crap with them when I'm out of them.

I get a fair few kills with my Titan if I pick the spot right and put it on Guard mode?

And yes, you are meant to win a 1-5 battle with grunts, as I said, they're a strategic tool, not a series of AI bots for you to have a serious scrap with.

I honestly had the least amount of fun fighting in the Titan than any aspect of the game.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

starcraft said:
lt_dan_27 said:
starcraft said:
ethomaz said:
pokoko said:

I get a fair few kills with my Titan if I pick the spot right and put it on Guard mode?

And yes, you are meant to win a 1-5 battle with grunts, as I said, they're a strategic tool, not a series of AI bots for you to have a serious scrap with.

I don't see how what you're saying makes sense. Everyone but you agrees that they're annoyingly easy. 

Around the Network

I agree pretty much 100% with the OP, However I would also add that:

1) It look like a game from 2008
2) The mechs and parkour are innovative. And that is it. Everything else is the most generic of a thing you can get. The few weapons the game has are bland, the few game modes you can play are generic, and the sounds are pulled straight from COD4.

My opinion is that this game needed one more creative director involved and a much bigger budget.

lt_dan_27 said:
starcraft said:
lt_dan_27 said:
starcraft said:
ethomaz said:
pokoko said:

I don't see how what you're saying makes sense. Everyone but you agrees that they're annoyingly easy. 

I am not denying they are easy?

Especially with the smart gun, which is pretty much just a handy grunt killer.  What I am saying is that they are not, in-and-of-themselves, designed to be a challenge to you, a pilot.  So to say they're easy, and therefore the AI is dumb, is extraordinarily counter-intuitive, as their particular AI is not meant to be challenging in direct combat.

It's a beta people.

Titan auto pilot cleans up... Maybe you've given it the wrong attributes?

Kills by Auto-Titan 83. I haven't even played that many games, not to mention I'm only using auto-titan during hardpoint when capturing... I also play Attrition a lot more. Go check your stats.

Early viewpoints from playing the game (giant wall of text follows sorry. Read if you want, otherwise feel free to ignore due to length. I fully understand others may have a different take from the game. This is just mine and I try to point out certain things that personally give me a positive or negative view on it.):

Well documented problem of AI with the bots. Besides being dumb I feel its pretty tough to distinguish from a distance between the bot types and even between bots and players at times. Personally I would prefer no bots and higher player counts, but as thats not likely they need a good boost in smarts. As of now they really drag the gameplay down, and make it look/feel repetitive and boring at times. You can literally run into a room of 5-6 of them and go one-by-one melee (they die in one melee strike) and suffer very little damage in the process. Also the scoring system needs tweaked. I feel pilots/titans should be worth more as I have seen people bot-farming in games and scoring too well.

Graphics: Good, but nothing amazing or overly impressive. I expected a little better I suppose. Some cool animations, and some under executed ones. The one that still drives me crazy in many games is the being shot from the back and die backwards or vice-versa occurs a little too much here. Was also hoping for a little bit of destructible environment, but so far I have not seen any.

Frame-rate: Only a few minor hiccups which is typical of a beta. Noticeable when it happens, but I've seen worse in betas. Hopefully clean by final build.

Recoil: Virtually little to no recoil on the guns. Everyone has their own opinion on this, for me personally its a pretty big buzzkill. Kinda cheapens the combat for me and makes it too easy.

Weapon balance: No major complaints. The usual shotgun in close prox. is strong, but as expected (people will still complain). The smart pistol I cannot decide if I like or hate it. Its overly strong, but the balance is you are pretty weak and will lose most head-on 1v1 with it. But the already easy bots are even dumber with this, and there are times where it takes no skill to kill another player with it.

Invisibility suit: Besides the bots probably my second biggest complaint of the game. Me personally I hate them in FPS games, and from my experience so far it is no exception now. Its just leads to bad gameplay in my opinion. With invis, the AI bots, and no recoil I see the pro crowd not gravitating towards this game as they may view it as more of an arcade style game and not a professional style.

Titan balance: Did not seem too strong to me. Possible perks up the lvls may improve on this, and there are other titan classes not played. But so far they seem almost too easy to be killed in. Would have liked to see more options such as a mech support or whatnot to add more strategies.

Overall: Good game, nothing great so far. No doubt provides some fun and cool moments. In my opinion there are some major design aspects the devs took that I personally think are missteps, but are unlikely to change. Game I feel I would probably purchase, maybe not day 1, to kill some hours here and there for some fun. I do not envision myself being highly involved or doing long playtimes as the gameplay gets stale after a few hours to me. I know they wanted to focus on multiplayer to make it shine, but the lack of story is another downfall to me personally. Hopefully they have stuff in the final build or from web sources to try and fill that in, but it really leaves you sorta disconnected from the action and not understanding why this is what it is. It does look like this book announced will help fill that void so I'm glad they thought to create it.

I'd say like a 7.5 / 10 for the beta thus far. I will see how the final build shakes out

Captain_Tom said:
I agree pretty much 100% with the OP, However I would also add that:

1) It look like a game from 2008
2) The mechs and parkour are innovative. And that is it. Everything else is the most generic of a thing you can get. The few weapons the game has are bland, the few game modes you can play are generic, and the sounds are pulled straight from COD4.

My opinion is that this game needed one more creative director involved and a much bigger budget.

This is just the beta...so it will look better. How much better...we will have to wait and see. I think Respawn said they only had about 60 staff...so maybe they needed a bigger budget and more staff? We can hope that Titanfall 2 will probably be a decent step-up up from Titanfall 1 and could be fantastic...and will probably be on PS4, too.