By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DKC: Tropical Freeze Review Thread (81 on metacritic)

Mummelmann said:
It's a bit funny to see Gamespot and Eurogamer deducting points from DK:TF for being "repetitive" and "too similar to previous games" and then go and have a look at their scores for the Call of Duty games.

Gamespot:
Moder Warfare 3: 8.5
Black Ops II: 8
Ghosts: 8

Eurogamer:
Modern Warfare 3: 8
Ghosts: 7

What the hell.

Nintendo didn't give them enough dollar bags.  Nintendo should seriously take notes from Activision in this regard!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
AZWification said:
Mummelmann said:
It's a bit funny to see Gamespot and Eurogamer deducting points from DK:TF for being "repetitive" and "too similar to previous games" and then go and have a look at their scores for the Call of Duty games.

Gamespot:

Eurogamer:

What the hell.

Nintendo didn't give them enough dollar bags.  Nintendo should seriously take notes from Activision in this regard!

What scores do you believe the Call of Duty games deserve? They may be repitative but they are never bad quality, particularly on multiplayer its main selling  point. Eurogamer gave 3D World a 10/10 and game of the year and I didnt see anyone complaining.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

SubiyaCryolite said:

What scores do you believe the Call of Duty games deserve? They may be repitative but they are never bad quality, particularly on multiplayer its main selling  point. Eurogamer gave 3D World a 10/10 and game of the year and I didnt see anyone complaining.

Well, Ghosts is the only CoD game  that deserves an average score in my opinion  ( around 5/10).  The only CoD games that deserve a 8 or higher in my opinion are the first 5 CoD games ( CoD1, CoD2, CoD3, CoD4, CoDWaW)

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

SubiyaCryolite said:
AZWification said:
Mummelmann said:

Gamespot:

Eurogamer:

What the hell.

A 3 for their singleplayer campaign and a 6 for their multiplayer. Oh and a 1 for the awful control options every console FPS has.

Games shouldn't rely on online multiplayer to make a game fun anyway. 

COD's single player is terrible now and most of the multiplayer maps are unbalanced and just suck. On top of that the spawn points in Ghosts can be very frustrating. People eat it up still because there are not alot of other options for FPS games, especially with online multiplayer.

Metroid Prime 4 with a great online mode needs to happen.

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:

Its not a mainstream game thats why. If it would be a mainstream game like a shooter then they wouldnt ask for new gameplay elements etc. But since its a platformer it will receive bad scores unless 50% of the game is new.

I remember gametrailers criticizing SkywardSword for offering nothing new. I have NEVER heard something like that for a racing game or a Fifa game (any sports game)  or COD etc.

I hope they will someday criticize a remake like Halo Anniversary or WindWaker HD for being  the same game as before. That would be hilarious...

Skyward Sword did nothing new?  What?  They could at least try and come up with something true.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

DucksUnlimited said:
sundin13 said:
The reviews that review it for what it is seem to praise it where the reviews that review it for what it isn't (namely, Metroid or something "new") seem to complain

Oh well...as most of these reviews have stated (even the not so great ones), this game is better than DKCR, aka the best platformer of last gen...so I am pretty confident that this will be my favorite platformer this gen too

Which site included not being Metroid as part of their criteria?

First four paragraphs of this review:

"The first big Wii U release of the year is a new game from the makers of Metroid Prime, but is another 2D platformer really a good idea?

If there’s one thing the Wii U needs at the moment it’s probably not another platform game. When Tropical Freeze was first announced there were howls of protest, not just because the game seemed an unhelpful indulgence but because it tied up Nintendo’s only Western developer – Metroid Prime creator Retro Studios – on a game that seemingly any number of their Japanese studios could’ve made instead.

It’s rather like the chief engineer on the Titanic suddenly deciding he doesn’t want to work on fixing the engines, but would rather show off his skills as an amateur violinist by popping on deck to join the band.

Since Retro already made Donkey Kong Country Returns for the original Wii it’s obvious they are indeed highly skilled at creating 2D platformers, but we still struggle to understand why they thought this game would be a good use of their talents and resources during Nintendo’s darkest hour."

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/17/donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-review-monkey-business-4307342/

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

A 3 for their singleplayer campaign and a 6 for their multiplayer. Oh and a 1 for the awful control options every console FPS has.

Sure, thats a fair and accurate assessment. 

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Metrium said:
Mensrea said:
Some reviewers seem to be voicing their general opinion of Nintendo in the review, rather than actually reviewing the game. Games journalism is a joke.

This exactly!

A shameful practice, indeed. 

SubiyaCryolite said:

Sure, thats a fair and accurate assessment. 

Not at all, I'm biased because I don't like FPS. It's my personal opinion, I'm not a professional reviewer. ;) 

The only thing I need to be neutral about is my thesis.