By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could Titanfall's exclusivity bother Activision?

Well, it looks like EA might finally have a CoD killer with Titanfall, a game that has the full power of Microsoft behind it. I can't imagine Activision being happy about this, especially since the CoD map pack deal helped push the 360. Do you think there will be any reaction from Activision? 

I think CoD has reached it's peak, but I wouldn't count it out just yet. Activision could simply say no more map pack exclusivity and have the next CoD map packs released on all platforms at the same time, or put a little extra i the PS4 version of Destiny. 

Around the Network

I don't think Activision cares really. They have exclusive deals for 360 + X1 and exclusive deals for PS3 + PS4. Either way they make money.

They also have skylanders which made them over 2bil. I think they'll be ok.

Oh, Activision is not in trouble at all. They are looking at Destiny to be their next big thing and Skylanders is making them a tonne of money. It still seem like Microsoft is playing favorites with EA.

I think TitanFall helps Activision because it might get people interested in trying an online shooter that they might otherwise avoid. If they do get into it, then they will run into many CoD players and whenever the next CoD game comes out, that crowd will migrate back and draw some of those TitanFall players with them.

I haven't really seen anything in TitanFall that says it will keep the CoD fans away from CoD. I think it will provide them a short break from CoD and then they will go back. Plus all the next CoD has to do is include some mechs-mode or whatever and then they will be "ahead" of TitanFall in every other way.

TitanFall limited to 6v6 online competitive only which may be fine since it keeps the maps full with AI controlled people, but that also ends up being its biggest weakness. Those AI bots in the BETA are not exactly "cloud" controlled or smart or whatever. They are actually much worse than most easy difficulty shooter AI bots.

I don't think exclusivity will change how CoD sells on XBO vs. PS4 if the two games are released many months apart like they are. It will be other game releases around the release of CoD that will change the ratios. Also, news articles focusing on 720p vs. 1080p and 30fps vs. 60fps type stuff can definitely have an effect as shown in the sales of Tomb Raider Definitive Edition.

Around the Network

You may be exactly right Cusman. This fall is going to be very interesting with Destiny and a new CoD.

They've got COD, WoW, and Skylanders all making tons of money. I really doubt they care about Titanfall.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

As long as exclusivity deals are profitable, publishers will pursue them. But I think there are a lot of better reasons to stop exclusivity deals with MS than this.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

HumdrumPie said:
Oh, Activision is not in trouble at all. They are looking at Destiny to be their next big think and Skylanders is making them a tonne of money. It still seem like Microsoft is playing favorites with EA.

Just answered your own question there.

If Microsoft is playing favorites with anyone its their own games. EA is putting out smaller games like Peggle 2 and PvZ: Garden Warfare so MS just decided to pay EA a good amount for a bundle of Titanfall, Peggle 2, and PvZ. Its all business.

Fusioncode said:
They've got COD, WoW, and Skylanders all making tons of money. I really doubt they care about Titanfall.

I think the OP more meant that Activision could be annoyed at Microsoft for spending time/money on the deal to make another shooter exclusive to the Xbox format while Microsoft/Activision are already fairly cosy with each other for CoD map packs and exclusive stuff also.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive