By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo offer an optional WiiU SKU without the Gamepad?

Should Nintendo offer a WiiU SKU without the Gamepad?

Yes, their best option at this point. 164 47.13%

No, the negatives outweigh the cheaper price. 183 52.59%

Total:347
archbrix said:
Zero999 said:

the general consensus is that the gamepad only increases the sku's price in $50.

Do you have a link for this?  Because as of a year ago, Nintendo was charging about three times that amount for a replacement:

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/02/26/wii-u-gamepad-could-cost-you-at-least-140-to-replace/

So? did it cross your mind that price was inflated? and that without the gamepad, they's still need a controller in there? thus the difference between gamepad and regular controller cost = how mach the gamepad increases the sku price.

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
archbrix said:
Zero999 said:

the general consensus is that the gamepad only increases the sku's price in $50.

Do you have a link for this?  Because as of a year ago, Nintendo was charging about three times that amount for a replacement:

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/02/26/wii-u-gamepad-could-cost-you-at-least-140-to-replace/

So? did it cross your mind that price was inflated? and that without the gamepad, they's still need a controller in there? thus the difference between gamepad and regular controller cost = how mach the gamepad increases the sku price.

The Wiimote and nunchuck together were said to cost Nintendo around $15 to make... in 2006.

So, even with the Motion Plus of today, you're telling me that the difference between the cost of the Gamepad and a Wiimote/nunchuck combo is $50?  Even if you account for a degree of inflation in price ordering from Nintendo - no, just no, lol.

cusman said:
I think the Gamepad should have been an Accessory that came with Nintendo Land or ZombiU. I think after those two launch titles only Game & Wario used it in an essential way.

That is 3 games total since Wii U launched (eShop titles included) that use the Gamepad in an essential way. I equate the Gamepad to the Kinect which also doesn't have much example of essential use in games.

I think any Accessory that is not essential for wide variety of gaming uses should be designed to be optional. Nintendo and Microsoft are both wrong to have forced the inclusion. It is the wrong thinking that if many people have your accessory that somehow developers will get more comfortable and ambitious about developing fresh game designs and AAA games that use that new accessory.

It is not even just about the cost, it also makes the product less attractive to the comfortably core gamer. I think they worry about gimmick controls tacked on to their core games ruining the fun of those games or just shallow shovel-ware like the Wii got tons and tons of.

Bottom line: Core gamers don't like gimmick stuff because that stuff tends to collect a lot of dust aside from the few games that make essential use of that gimmick.

not to mention alot of the times they simply dont work properly and when they do work there is very little it can be applied to

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
oniyide said:

So you are saying sales are bad because it wasnt marketed? it was marketed all holiday and it still got trounced. Im saying its not selling because people dont care about it. YOu think people dont know what it is? Sure they do. The system has been in Gamestops, Targets, Best Buys, Wal marts, just about every major retailer from day one. But people dont care. I think its main problem is is nobody takes it seriously. Not as a gaming machine anyway.

The holiday marketting was not only subpar, but considering the hype of the other two even more insufficient. The best ads i saw where both on youtube, one of them being an episode of Ellen.

Both XB1 and PS4 had at least two distinct TV spots that I can remember, although XB1 superbowl one was kind of annoying, they had another about games (the one with the titanfall mech) so they still did a better job then Nintendo. PS4 had Greatness Awaits, For the Gamers, Perfect Day, and their recent one Experience More together (Ps+).

Nintendo on the other hand have had disney stars that few gamers can relate too or even know about playing the Wii U, then they had kids trying to convince their parents to buy them a Wii U. I remember seeing ads like that in the 90s. Cause Nintendo is the only one marketting directly to kids and parents, while PS4/XB1 advertise to older auidiences and it trickles down and gets kids too. Especially in the US.

The holiday marketting was trying to convince parents that it was the christmas gift kids wanted. Clearly they were overshadowed by the two newer consoles releasing to larger audiences.

all that is fair but my original was that they DID market. Now was it good marketing? debatable (i dont think it was) but then what were they supposed to do? how would have they made better commercials, Sony and MS market to older audiences, but that is your core gamer right there. They can DO that. Ninty IMHO cant, evne if they tried the core gamer knows whats up.

Zero999 said:
archbrix said:
Zero999 said:

He asked you for a source because you said the Gamepad only costs $50. You can disagree with his source but at least he provided one. And you don't have to say things like "did it cross your mind". That kind of attitude is the reason you keep getting banned. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
archbrix said:
Zero999 said:
archbrix said:
Zero999 said:

The Wiimote and nunchuck together were said to cost Nintendo around $15 to make... in 2006.

So, even with the Motion Plus of today, you're telling me that the difference between the cost of the Gamepad and a Wiimote/nunchuck combo is $50?  Even if you account for a degree of inflation in price ordering from Nintendo - no, just no, lol.

He cant possibly believe Ninty is inflating the cost of the pad that much? Cause if they are and they are not. They are just greedy bastards and deserve to fail. 

Fusioncode said:
Zero999 said:

He asked you for a source because you said the Gamepad only costs $50. You can disagree with his source but at least he provided one. And you don't have to say things like "did it cross your mind". That kind of attitude is the reason you keep getting banned. 

he game a link saying how much nintendo was CHARGING for a replacement =/= how much the thing COSTS.

this isn't the first time you barge into the conversation with nothing relevant to add. think this through the next time.

Zero999 said:
Fusioncode said:
Zero999 said:

he game a link saying how much nintendo was CHARGING for a replacement =/= how much the thing COSTS.

this isn't the first time you barge into the conversation with nothing relevant to add. think this through the next time.

I'm stil waiting for your source that the Gamepad costs 50$. And once again, saying things like "think this through next time" is rude and adds nothing to the conversation. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

No, releasing a SKU without the gamepad would be borderline retarded.

Without the gamepad, not only will there be a large number of games that will not be playable, but the OS will be broken too.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Whitout it, it is only a more expensive last gen console without the third party support.