By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - %99 of music is crap today.

I think it also has something to do with extremely loud mastering since the mid-90's. Many remastered versions of classic albums sound as boring as the new ones.

It's very hard to find a mainstram album with good sound quality nowadays.
Take Metallica or Red Hot Chili Peppers as example. They had some of the best produced albums in the early 90's and some of the worst produced albums in history in recent years. But the songs itself aren't that bad, it's the mastering that ruins everything.

I don't listen much to pop music, but the Bruno Mars albums produced like the original mastering of Michael Jackson's Bad (2001 SE and Bad 25 suck) would be amazing.

Around the Network

I disagree, I agree that a lot of it is horrible.. But a lot of it isn't .. There are some good pop songs.. Teenage dream the song is a classic pop gem, and I
don't give the credit to Katy Perry at all since it isn't completely her song.. But lady gaga is truly truely underrated/underappreciated for living up the pop industry.. And her music is always great

mM

Last time popular music appealed to me was mid 90s. I think majority of everything is sub par. The issue with music is you have to hunt for bands that appeal to you, radio and television are no longer options so fortunately online can find stuff.

Yeah, if you're just listening to radio or watching videos on TV then all you're going to see/hear is what record companies pay to have played. There's a reason why you hear the same four or five songs in heavy rotation every time you drive anywhere for longer than 30 minutes and then you almost never hear them again. They're trying to sell you on an artist. Do your own searching.

Stay away from the mainstream, and dig deeper for the good stuff - it's there, you just have to find it.

Around the Network
oldschoolfool said:
Gilgamesh said:

*99%

Actually I was someone who strongly agreed with you a few years ago but I feel as though musics changing in the 2010's. From 2000 - 2010 it was horrible music I couldn't bare to hear the garbage they played. But recently I don't know what it is but I actually like a lot of the songs I hear. Daft Punks new album was amazing and that was full of auto tune. I'll agree musicians like Justin Bieber and Mily Cyrus are still just awful but you don't hear much from them anymore. 

I'm a big classic rock fan and always have been but it's just starting to get old, I feel like I need a break from it. It's been pounded in my head for the last 20 years it's like I have stockholm syndrome I've heard it so many times that I just accept it to be great. It could be the radio, every day at work the radios playing and it's always the same station that plays the same classic rocks songs over and over, if I hear Pat benatar singing hit me with your best shot one more time I'm personally going to drive to her house and  kick her in the face, I'm just sick of it. An old guy at work actually agrees with me he's very much into the need music today. The stuff out now seems refreshing and it's very catching, get's me pumped I like it.

You just need to go in it with a positive attitude, if you try to listen to new song and your expecting/hoping it's horrible that's what your gonna think, have an open mind.

Hell I'm adicted to Lady Gaga speechless right now?

I actually tried giving lady gaga a chance,but I just don't get it. I feel like that south park episode,were one of them thinks everything is crap. that was a funny episode.

I'm not saying your suppose to like her and I really don't care for most of her songs, but this one song is really good IMO. But theres others I don't even know the name of the singer I just hear it on the radio and enjoy it.

It doesn't suck. People always point to music having been better in the past, movies were better in the past, games were better in the past, everything was cheaper in the past and all that kinda crap which is based on nothing except bias to a specific period in one's life.

kowenicki said:
no it isn't... it just takes a bit more effort to find decent music.

If you are going off the most popular music and charts then of course you will think its shit.

Well I think it takes a LOT of effort to find decent music released today, not just a bit. But when I finally find an artist that I like it makes it easier, like following them. 

Yep.

kowenicki said:
no it isn't... it just takes a bit more effort to find decent music.

If you are going off the most popular music and charts then of course you will think its shit.

This

I actually find it better now since we are not restricted to radio or tv to find new, or old, music that appeals to our taste.

In the 80s or 90s you would probably listen to "better" music on tv or radio but you would be very restricted since the effort of finding new bands was much more than now

Besides, I think there a lot of great artists but they simply dont have mass media access

episteme said:

I think it also has something to do with extremely loud mastering since the mid-90's. Many remastered versions of classic albums sound as boring as the new ones.

It's very hard to find a mainstram album with good sound quality nowadays.
Take Metallica or Red Hot Chili Peppers as example. They had some of the best produced albums in the early 90's and some of the worst produced albums in history in recent years. But the songs itself aren't that bad, it's the mastering that ruins everything.

I don't listen much to pop music, but the Bruno Mars albums produced like the original mastering of Michael Jackson's Bad (2001 SE and Bad 25 suck) would be amazing.

Though he's not the only one doing it, when it comes to RHCP and Metallica that's mostly Rick Rubin's fault. That said an aggressive, compressed mix is actually suitable for certain music in my opinion, there are bits on Californication where I prefer the official release (Parallel Universe, Around the World) and others where I like the "quiet mix" you can find on youtube (Californication itself, for example)

To address the OP's point I certainly understand where you are coming from, as someone who listens to a lot of music that was made many years before I was born (I'm actually listening to The Cure right now, for example) the overwhelming majority of modern popular music does absolutely nothing for me, but people are right to point out that, even if you have to look a bit harder for it, there is lots of great new music out there.

If you can try listening to some less mainstream radio stations, the type who tend not to be swayed so much by chart positions and just play what they like because they think it's good. That said a lot of my music on my iPod is older, and if I was asked to list my all time favourite albums I think the most modern is still from 2001 (Muse - Origin of Symmetry), most well before that :)