By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My theory on the wiis power.

zackblue said:
Why are we getting these "wii's power is hidden" threads? We have some user expecting cod4 graphics, and nearly = graphicle standards with the PS3 and xbox 360.

You have to look at the specs, then you will know the truth.

That's strange.  What I read said that he was expecting the other consoles to have games that looked 3-5 times better, not "nearly = graphicle standards".

Around the Network
Entroper said:
zackblue said:
Why are we getting these "wii's power is hidden" threads? We have some user expecting cod4 graphics, and nearly = graphicle standards with the PS3 and xbox 360.

You have to look at the specs, then you will know the truth.

That's strange. What I read said that he was expecting the other consoles to have games that looked 3-5 times better, not "nearly = graphicle standards".

Thank you I forgot to mention that I didn't say nearly. I said 3-5 times which isn't close but not as far apart as people think. 

Something I will also like to add. I feel really sorry for the people who have sdtvs and bought a 360 and ps3 but not get the benefits of the hd. Also they should make sd versions of games these versions could have better textures,shading,more polygons, frame rates so people who don't have hd get to enjoy the supposed to be all powerful graphics too. If the consoles didn't produce hd they might even rival pc gaming with those specs for about 2 years.

it doesn't matter how far away from 360/ps3 graphics the wii is capable of. cuz its not close. but style and art direction are more important than technical power of graphics since all the systems have very good 3d graphics these days.

wii can't have realistic looking games like CoD4 or Mass Effect which look amazing. But it can have realistic looking games that have great art direction and still look incredible but just don't look like real life in the way the hd consoles can make them. I'm thinking of Shadow of the Collosus which technically didn't have very good graphics when you look up close. You know just standard ps2 graphics. But it was absolutely gorgeous.

So obviously wii can do that and a lot better. And when it comes to non-realistic type graphics like no more heroes or cartoony graphics like mario nothing more than what the wii can produce is really needed. Because those styles aren't supposed to be realistic so adding in tons of polygons and superfine textures hardly makes any real difference in how good the game looks. The only time wii's graphics take a big backseat to the other systems is when a developer is trying to make graphics that reproduce real life. Any other style there isn't such a big difference that it makes much of an effect besides just being cleaner and crisper in the HD versions which only matters if you have an hd tv.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

okay cool. nice post. 6/10

Around the Network

here's all you need to know

wii = pretty strong

ps3/xbox360 = really strong

everyone is a winner

ilovetogame said:
it doesn't matter how far away from 360/ps3 graphics the wii is capable of. cuz its not close. but style and art direction are more important than technical power of graphics since all the systems have very good 3d graphics these days.

wii can't have realistic looking games like CoD4 or Mass Effect which look amazing. But it can have realistic looking games that have great art direction and still look incredible but just don't look like real life in the way the hd consoles can make them. I'm thinking of Shadow of the Collosus which technically didn't have very good graphics when you look up close. You know just standard ps2 graphics. But it was absolutely gorgeous.

So obviously wii can do that and a lot better. And when it comes to non-realistic type graphics like no more heroes or cartoony graphics like mario nothing more than what the wii can produce is really needed. Because those styles aren't supposed to be realistic so adding in tons of polygons and superfine textures hardly makes any real difference in how good the game looks. The only time wii's graphics take a big backseat to the other systems is when a developer is trying to make graphics that reproduce real life. Any other style there isn't such a big difference that it makes much of an effect besides just being cleaner and crisper in the HD versions which only matters if you have an hd tv.
You don't need hd to have realistic graphics and the wii is highly capable of realistic graphics.  Even if a game needed hd for realistics the wii is capable of 720p. I play my ps3 and xbox 360 on my one edtv when my hdtvs are being used an the games still look realistic in 480p. Its just that some games require realistic graphics and others don't. They both look nice. The only realistic games that came out for the wii were cod 3 and mohh2 and they are both poor in graphics quality because of devs not because the wii can't do it. I think the wii could run CoD 4 at 45 fps and still look almost as good as the ps3 and 360 versions. I do think in games that don't require realism art design is better suited but in games that do realism is the way to go and the wii could do both perfectly fine just not as good as the 360 and ps3.

it is 2 times better than the xbox, but developers havent pushed to system to the limit,

ubisoft said that for brothers in arms wii, they pushed the wii to the limit, we'll see if they did or not, when the game comes out,

tastyshovelware said:
here's all you need to know

wii = pretty strong

ps3/xbox360 = really strong

everyone is a winner

Everybody knows that but I want to show where the wii is at in graphics standpoint according to my beliefs. Basically I want to figure out how much more powerful the wii is to the last gen and how less powerful it is to the hd consoles. 

the real question is....

will there be a better looking wii game then galaxy?