By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - After seeing Bayonetta 2 and 'X' in action today...

The PS4's power seems...

Better, but not THAT much better anymore... 241 15.42%

Are you crazy?! The PS4 is GOD! 349 22.33%

The Wii U is clearly unde... 741 47.41%

The PS4 is selling better... 36 2.30%

I think I'll be buying a... 191 12.22%

Total:1,558

It makes me laugh reading those posts regarding "fluid simulation" etc. . Who cares? Nobody - I repeat - NOBODY wants this in a game. Like nobody wants real driving simulations as this wouldn't be fun at all ( < 0,5 % might have the skill to drive a F1 car ).

But what people want is immersion. And that begins at the input. Nothing is better for racing "sims" than a force feedback stearing wheel. Nothing is better for a FPS than a WiiMote. Same for most Sports games. 

So people complaining about the missing graphical power of the Wii U but not complaining about the missing input options of their game systems are just fanboys.

So I think the most interesting question is what way of WiiMote+ / Nunchuck, GamePad or Pro Controller gameplay "X" and Bayonetta are going to use. Because this has much more effect on the perceived immersion than any special effects or higher resolution...

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Samus Aran said:
Mr Khan said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

Even X is 720p. See the trees, sword and gun edges (open full size images). There's a nice thruster shader effect on the Mechs but its just as good as the blur in Tekken or GoWIII. Again, apart from scale (look at the enemies in the minimap) nothing screams better than 7th gen.

"When you take away what makes the game superior, it's clearly unremarkable."

(hint: scale is the point. Why do you think Tekken can make things look good? It's two characters and a very small arena)

All of that is attributed to the fact that the WII U has more memory, not by the fact that the GPU is marginally more powerful.

So you're saying we should take away everything that makes the Wii U more powerful?

You guys amaze me sometimes. 

What we are saying the Wii Us GPU, the thing that dictates framerate and resolution, is no better than the 7th gen by any significant margin. What I am saying is how can the Wii U whose graphical output is on par with the 7th gen reduce the gap with the X1 and PS4?  Why is the gap suddenly "not as big". Why doesnt anyone say the same about the 360 and PS3? Since they are currently on par with and not falling behind the Wii U in any way yet.

I argued with Curl 6 about this last time over Most Wanted U. I said a 360 with a gig of RAM could do everything the WiiU is currently doing if not more. Why? Because both their GPUs and CPUs are on par.

I havent taken away the Wii Us RAM. Ive stated this over and over, its RAM is the only thing it has over the 7th gen HD twins. RAM can only affect textures and scale, and both to a limited degree. RAM on its own wont allow 1080p, complex tesselation, complex shaders, complex geometry or shadows. RAM doesnt mean the Wii U will render thousands of particles or hundreds of detailed models onscreen at once. Why? Its GPU. The main deciding factors GPU and CPU are in the same leauge as last gen.

When the X1 and PS4 get their own Skyrims and Far Cry 3s that use the 8GB of RAM to the fullest it wont be a contest, it will be a massacre. The gap will be big, very damn big. Our first, I repeat first, glimpse of this is the Witcher 3.

PS3 == Nvidia 7800GTX

360 == ATI Radeon 1800XT

Wii U == 4650

x1 == 7790

PS4 == 7870

"You can use this hierarchy to compare the pricing between two cards, to see which one is a better deal, and also to determine if an upgrade is worthwhile. I don’t recommend upgrading your graphics card unless the replacement card is at least three tiers higher. Otherwise, the upgrade is somewhat parallel, and you may not even notice any worthwhile difference in performance." Damn right.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

According to toms hardware, which has nothing to do with digital foundry, the WiiUs PC equivalent DDR3 GPU is  just two tiers above the PS3 and 360 (DDR3). The X1 is nine tiers above the U, and the PS4 is 12 tiers above the U. Worthwhile upgrades? Yes.

Even in PC land thie Wii U is barely a step up from last gen.

The X1 is off to a rough start but Ryse and Forza 5 is proof that itll get its house in order soon enough, albeit at 900p. The PS4 is just cruising along without a care in the world. Of course anyone can see this. My old graphics card was a 5670HD and my current 7870 blows it out of the water. I considered my card to be a small step up from the 7th gen consoles. It ran console multiplats at 720p 60fps 8xAA just fine, could hit 30fps at 900p in Crysis Warhead on medium plus enthusiast shaders and fancy DX10 motion blur. Thats what I expected the Wii U to be. When the WiiU hit I was very surprised. The Wii U isnt even on that level yet somehow the gap is supposed to be "not as big".

Sorry, dont agree, never will.

Actually the X1's GPU falls more inline with the HD 7770 and the WII U's ram is somewhat of a step back in terms of memory bandwidth. (12.8 GB/s vs 22.4 GB/s) Although the developers may be able to offset that by using mip mapping. 

Yeah, the DDR3 4650 has 16GB/s bandwidth, and 384GFLOPs single precision on a 64bit bus. More or less inline with the WiiUs speculated GPU specs. Digital Foundry was spot on their assessment, I dunno how they do it.

Its getting late and Im tired. I believe Ive made my point though, at 400 replies this thread was undoubtably a success.

Of course this battle will be put to rest when Kart and Smash launch. After that smaller battles and rebellions will rage on but the "hidden power" war has been lost in my opinion. I predict 720p for Kart because of its effects and the jaggies I've seen in its press and 1080p for smash, which looks like brawl running on Dolphin XD.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Cheebee said:
oniyide said:
Cheebee said:
Funny how most Wii U threads are in no time overrun by rabid Sony and MS fans, apparently. This one has gone nowhere fast.

funny how you have nothing to counter what any of the Sony or MS fans have been saying.

Yeah I'm not touching any of that with a 100 ft pole. Not going to lead anywhere but into more trolling. What I said above is 100% true though, wouldn't you agree? Ah well, that's to be expected here I guess.

you're not touching it because there is nothing TO discuss, and why even post if you have nothing to say on the subject at hand? I wonder...

Thing is you are still wrong because this isnt soley a Wii U thread, the OP directly compares it to PS4 and you are shocked that SONY fans are in the forum? come on man. 

Scoobes said:
Samus Aran said:
Mr Khan said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

Even X is 720p. See the trees, sword and gun edges (open full size images). There's a nice thruster shader effect on the Mechs but its just as good as the blur in Tekken or GoWIII. Again, apart from scale (look at the enemies in the minimap) nothing screams better than 7th gen.

"When you take away what makes the game superior, it's clearly unremarkable."

(hint: scale is the point. Why do you think Tekken can make things look good? It's two characters and a very small arena)

All of that is attributed to the fact that the WII U has more memory, not by the fact that the GPU is marginally more powerful.

So you're saying we should take away everything that makes the Wii U more powerful?

You guys amaze me sometimes. 

The OT was about the graphics making the WiiU appear closer in power to PS4 which neither of these games really does.

No one (well, maybe the odd person) is saying WiiU less capable than the current gen but more that the difference between WiiU and PS3/360 is an incremental step. There will be greater scale, there might be a few extra effects, it should have a smoother frame-rate, but the models, textures and the majority of effects will be very similar to those seen on the PS3/360.

The PS4 and X1 have a different level of visual and technical fidelity. Higher res textures, more advanced effects, greater interactivity with the environment (physics), greater scale, advanced lighting and more details in the world, all with higher resolution.

The point is, even most XBOXONE games don't run at 60fps and 1080p. And I've seen quite a few vids of these "next-gen" games and honestly, I don't care about the difference in graphics. With the Wii and PS3 it was very obvious because one was SD while the latter was HD. Only hardcore fans really care about graphics this much. Normal people just buy what they consider to be cool. I consider Nintendo to be cool because it's so different compared to Sony/Microsoft/PC. ;) 

You can flame me all you want, but I never saw the point in having 2 consoles with practically the same library(with the exception of some exclusives, of which similar games can be found on both consoles). Having both Microsoft and Sony is irrelevant to me. Nothing would change if one of them disappeared. Things would only change if both of them disappeared. If Nintendo disappeared we would lose some of the most iconic gaming franchises. 

What I'm trying to say is: the gaming world(or should I say race fans?) can live without Forza as long as there is Gran Turismo and vice versa. 

oniyide said:
Cheebee said:
oniyide said:
Cheebee said:
Funny how most Wii U threads are in no time overrun by rabid Sony and MS fans, apparently. This one has gone nowhere fast.

funny how you have nothing to counter what any of the Sony or MS fans have been saying.

Yeah I'm not touching any of that with a 100 ft pole. Not going to lead anywhere but into more trolling. What I said above is 100% true though, wouldn't you agree? Ah well, that's to be expected here I guess.

you're not touching it because there is nothing TO discuss, and why even post if you have nothing to say on the subject at hand? I wonder...

Thing is you are still wrong because this isnt soley a Wii U thread, the OP directly compares it to PS4 and you are shocked that SONY fans are in the forum? come on man. 

Yeah. So if you go ahead and read my first post you'll notice how I distinctly said threads, not thread. As in plural. Basically all threads on here that have anything remotely positive to say about Wii U are in no time overrun by Sony ans MS fans. I could've posted that in any other of them too, yes, but I happened upon this one. What can you do, eh?

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
Cheebee said:
oniyide said:
Cheebee said:
oniyide said:
Cheebee said:

Yeah. So if you go ahead and read my first post you'll notice how I distinctly said threads, not thread. As in plural. Basically all threads on here that have anything remotely positive to say about Wii U are in no time overrun by Sony ans MS fans. I could've posted that in any other of them too, yes, but I happened upon this one. What can you do, eh?

you can save time and energy and ignore it. Oh and who was saying anything negative about Wii U?

mine said:

It makes me laugh reading those posts regarding "fluid simulation" etc. . Who cares? Nobody - I repeat - NOBODY wants this in a game. Like nobody wants real driving simulations as this wouldn't be fun at all ( < 0,5 % might have the skill to drive a F1 car ).

But what people want is immersion. And that begins at the input. Nothing is better for racing "sims" than a force feedback stearing wheel. Nothing is better for a FPS than a WiiMote. Same for most Sports games. 

So people complaining about the missing graphical power of the Wii U but not complaining about the missing input options of their game systems are just fanboys.

So I think the most interesting question is what way of WiiMote+ / Nunchuck, GamePad or Pro Controller gameplay "X" and Bayonetta are going to use. Because this has much more effect on the perceived immersion than any special effects or higher resolution...

Because real-time dynamic lighting, and liquid physics never added anything to immersion or gameplay. Seen any of Capcom's demonstations of their next gen engine - Panta Rhei, they are using in their next RPG, Deep Down? The dynamic GI in Drive Club. Soft body physics, (for objects) will have a massive impact on games with any sort of destruction in it. Voxel cone tracing.. making more accurate and beleivable reflections on surfaces. Improvement in sound tech - using some of the compute power in the GPU to produce more realistic sounds in games. Who cares? Well, I kind of do.

Also why give Wii Mote any mention? It's not even the main control scheme for the Wii U. I personally don't find waving my arms everywhere any more immersive and better than standard controls (KB+M or controller) and neither does Nintendo from the looks of it. They did, after all revert back to normal joypad controls for the Gamepad.

SubiyaCryolite said:

What we are saying the Wii Us GPU, the thing that dictates framerate and resolution, is no better than the 7th gen by any significant margin. What I am saying is how can the Wii U whose graphical output is on par with the 7th gen reduce the gap with the X1 and PS4?  Why is the gap suddenly "not as big". Why doesnt anyone say the same about the 360 and PS3? Since they are currently on par with and not falling behind the Wii U in any way yet.

I argued with Curl 6 about this last time over Most Wanted U. I said a 360 with a gig of RAM could do everything the WiiU is currently doing if not more. Why? Because both their GPUs and CPUs are on par.

I havent taken away the Wii Us RAM. Ive stated this over and over, its RAM is the only thing it has over the 7th gen HD twins. RAM can only affect textures and scale, and both to a limited degree. RAM on its own wont allow 1080p, complex tesselation, complex shaders, complex geometry or shadows. RAM doesnt mean the Wii U will render thousands of particles or hundreds of detailed models onscreen at once. Why? Its GPU. The main deciding factors GPU and CPU are in the same leauge as last gen.

When the X1 and PS4 get their own Skyrims and Far Cry 3s that use the 8GB of RAM to the fullest it wont be a contest, it will be a massacre. The gap will be big, very damn big. Our first, I repeat first, glimpse of this is the Witcher 3.

PS3 == Nvidia 7800GTX

360 == ATI Radeon 1800XT

Wii U == 4650

x1 == 7790

PS4 == 7870

"You can use this hierarchy to compare the pricing between two cards, to see which one is a better deal, and also to determine if an upgrade is worthwhile. I don’t recommend upgrading your graphics card unless the replacement card is at least three tiers higher. Otherwise, the upgrade is somewhat parallel, and you may not even notice any worthwhile difference in performance." Damn right.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

According to toms hardware, which has nothing to do with digital foundry, the WiiUs PC equivalent DDR3 GPU is  just two tiers above the PS3 and 360 (DDR3). The X1 is nine tiers above the U, and the PS4 is 12 tiers above the U. Worthwhile upgrades? Yes.

Even in PC land thie Wii U is barely a step up from last gen.

The X1 is off to a rough start but Ryse and Forza 5 is proof that itll get its house in order soon enough, albeit at 900p. The PS4 is just cruising along without a care in the world. Of course anyone can see this. My old graphics card was a 5670HD and my current 7870 blows it out of the water. I considered my card to be a small step up from the 7th gen consoles. It ran console multiplats at 720p 60fps 8xAA just fine, could hit 30fps at 900p in Crysis Warhead on medium plus enthusiast shaders and fancy DX10 motion blur. Thats what I expected the Wii U to be. When the WiiU hit I was very surprised. The Wii U isnt even on that level yet somehow the gap is supposed to be "not as big".

Sorry, dont agree, never will.

Just to add to this, tomshardware don't recommend purchasing a graphics card unless it's 3 tiers above your previous card as the difference won't be particularly noticeable. Two tiers sounds about right for the PS3/360 and WiiU GPU; an incremental improvement.

Like some people already said here, the difference between PS4 and Wii U is definitely noticeable, but HD is still HD. So it's not that big of a deal anymore, Nintendo games will be and look awesome too.

oniyide said:
Cheebee said:
oniyide said:
Cheebee said:
oniyide said:
Cheebee said:

you can save time and energy and ignore it. Oh and who was saying anything negative about Wii U?

I do, that's why I don't respond to most of them. Wish those Sony and MS fans would do the same. As for the negative stuff, well just check the majority of those threads, it's pretty obvious, even if it's only implied instead of outright flamed. Don't pretend you haven't got a clue.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046