By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy 15 'quite far into development, given high priority' by Square

noname2200 said:

It's modern Squeenix: 90% of the time and energy is put into graphics and cutscenes.

It'd be an honest answer at least!

especially this

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

Around the Network

If the high potential for poor gameplay with the comment that "we don't know how the game is going to play," doesn't kill the games chances, then the announcement of the game back in 2006 and the whole three different Final Fantasy 13s will.

This game could be amazing, but they've literally killed the hype that most fans have had for this game because of how long it's been in development limbo. Also with the three different Final Fantasy 13s,leaving such a bad taste in everyones mouth, many people probably won't support the next Final Fantasy because of that. I think Square Enix is going to have a long way to go to regain the trust of their fanbase.

I'd bloody well hope so! If it comes out in the next year anywhere I'd be very surprised.

It will come in 2017...for iOS and Japan only.

Nintendo and PC gamer

They still wont make it in time for 2014 in the west.

Around the Network

Sometimes I do wonder about Squenix current setup for FF games. Sure they've made XIII, XIII-2 and LR on semiregular basis (once XIII was out) but by this time, FFXVI should be in the works I would have thought. I think they could easily turn around a main series FF game every 2 years if they get 2 development teams working on them. So 4 years per game. The music/sound department will be the same, the FMV will be the same but the main gameplay and graphics departments different. These are guaranteed sellers and sure to make money...

Alas, here we are with 1 FF game which has been being made for 7 years.

Hmm, pie.

Quite far into development? I would hope so. It's been in the works for an entire generation.

It's all about the game.

Salnax said:
7+ Years later and they aren't sure what the gameplay will be like...

OK... Where did you get that they don't know what the gameplay in Final Fantasy XV will be like?

Kitase speaks of future titles. Not FF XV, which he isn't even overseeing...

Oh good, I thought they were just getting started.

I initially did not like the combat system in FF12 when playing the game back in the day, I even dropped the game after 10 hours or so because fighting without gambits got boring quickly. A second attempt in 2009 also failed because I did not realize the potential and complexity of gambits at all and just did not make use of them.

But now, after finishing Xenoblade on the Wii, which I consider being the JRPG gold standard, I started playing FF12 again on emulator and after fully making use of the deep and complex gambit system, the combat in FF12 is really great and would be perfect for massive battles. It captures the tactical spirit of earlier FF games much more than the slow and boring FF10 for example and is just a hell lot of fun. But the player needs to understand and make use of the highly customizable gambit system, which works more like a programming language.

Even if you watch Let's plays of FF12 or Zodiac Job System on youtube, most players didn't understand the gambit system at all and are still using manual commands all the time, which is not really fun. I was once one of these players, but to get the most out of FF12 you need to really make use of the gambit system.

I recently tried playing Kingdom Hearts and I just hate the stupid button mashing action. My impressions of this game were so extremely bad that I will never give FFXV a chance and will not buy it for sure.