By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - There's No Way This Generation Will Sell Better than Last Gen.

i think if you put on some blinders and ignore nintendo,... playstation+xbox will show some decent growth GenOverGen. ...but not enough to overcome nintendo's dramatic collapse.

the "casuals" aren't coming back.

Around the Network
DJEVOLVE said:

I think you are right. I have to admit defeat. If Xbox One can't get the casuals over to Kinect, then we will see a decrease but if Kinect inspires something that we have not seen yet, then maybe both HD twins will sell over 110 million a piece. Leaving Wii U to make up 35 million units or less if HD twins can put some good number between the 2.

Also depends how long this gen is.
I can see Xbox Pushing Directv or someone, to give a xbox one with sign up. This would be big.

wont happen especially since they have a deal in place with comcast right now.  you can watch xfinity tv on xbox 360 right now.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe that this gen will outsell next gen; lots of people are still into their last gen consoles. The only reason the new consoles are selling quick was because of hype.

NintendoPie said:
Figgycal said:

In the case of the Wii -- both of its competitors also sold extremely well.

In the case of the PS2 -- both of its competitors sold badly.

I know I keep saying it and you're probably tired of hearing it, but the Wii was a special case and its sucess probably won't be replicated.

In that case, the PS4 wouldn't be able to as well. Correct?

What you're saying is true, so I don't really care if you've said it twice now.

In the sense that if the PS4 sells as well as the Wii -- the Xbox One and Wii U will sell badly. The Wii's success is special because it took very little -- to no marketshare from PlayStation or Xbox.

kitler53 said:

i think if you put on some blinders and ignore nintendo,... playstation+xbox will show some decent growth GenOverGen. ...but not enough to overcome nintendo's dramatic collapse.

We might have to put the blinders on for MS, too. Especially if NA is it's only big market. (Which seems weaker than last generation, as well. Especially with the PS4 sprinting out of the gate.)

Around the Network

Good chance it will, you are just looking at the market through WiiUs failure. Yes one is a flop but the other two did record sales don't forget that, don't let one failure skew your views.

PS4 will more then make up for Wiiu lack of sales. It might come down just how dominant PS4 can be, one obvious console of choice will be easy for the market to heavily support with Xbox being a companion console that hopefully does well enough to add some decent numbers to the final tally.

NintendoPie said:
kitler53 said:

We might have to put the blinders on for MS, too. Especially if NA is it's only big market. (Which seems weaker than last generation, as well. Especially with the PS4 sprinting out of the gate.)

The casuals are exactly that casuals, most of which dont see a need to get another console atm especially at 300$ or more, its the problem nintendo is having i think if you take casuals out of the wii sales you would have ended up with around 50m systems sold, i honestly believe half of hte wiis sold were older people that wanted to play the games like wii sports and wii fit, hell my grandparents who are 80 have a wii and my parents as well.  both still only really play the bowling game and my mom uses wiifit religiously.  theese are the people who wont buy another system as the wii still does what they want.

Agree 100%. Said it on other threads, you can game on anything now that has a screen. You couldn't do that in the previous generations.

Edit; And their is no major media feature ie, Ps2=DVD, Ps3=BluRay.

It depends on quite a few variables. First, how much of the new userbase brought in mainly by the Wii and then also by the Kinect can this generation feasibly retain. So far, Nintendo has been doing a really bad job at convincing people who bought the Wii, especially first time buyers of consoles, to also buy the Wii U. And I would speculate that these gamers aren't opting to buy a PS4 or X1, but simply sticking with the systems they already have. It is possible thath these gamers are waiting for pricedrops all around, which is something I think Nintendo should look into and make up the loss with software sales, but that is just my opinion.

A second variable is how much can the market expand in European and Asian markets that became more "active" this past generation. Sony has been leading the way in expanding these markets, but once again how to convince them to spend the extra money to get the new systems.

Finally, how to deal with the "ease and accessibility" of games that has caught on in the past few years. Whether these are games on smartphones and tablets or F2P games. These pose problems for video game machines which require a buyer to purchase a new system, accessories, new games, etc. The console makers have to be able to convince these fringe gamers that there is a superior experience on their systems. 3DS was able to manage this surprisingly well so it is definitely possible for the consoles as well. But proving to these other gamers that real gaming is what is on the systems and not a cheap thrill like Candy Crush is something that will be battled with for time to come.

But I will stand optimistic. Hopefully the systems can accomplish success and growth. But, people must realize, that for the market to expand, Nintendo needs to do well too. Should start rooting them on as well with the Wii U haha.

Yup, casuals bought the Wii, and are now buying tablets instead of WiiU tablets :P.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.