By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SSB for WiiU+3DS Topic #9: Lets Talk DK Franchise (Dixie Kong Playable? Cranky Kong Maybe? Or Even...)

What Will Happen?

Dixie Kong Playable as a Tag Team 5 18.52%

Dixie Kong Playable as a Standalone 11 40.74%

Diddy Kong+Dixie Kong+Cra... 1 3.70%

Only Diddy Kong will ret... 3 11.11%

King K Rool 4 14.81%

Cranky Kong Only 1 3.70%

Just bring somebody! 0 0%

Only Donkey Kong, No one else!! 1 3.70%

Total:26
tbone51 said:
Metrium said:
Supepupes said:

Im not sure if there are legal reasons for holding K. Rool back. After Rare was bought off by Microsoft; K. Rool showed up in all the Paon developed DK games (like DK King of Swing and Dk Jungle Climber), and he showed up in Mario Super Sluggers.

And what about Dixie Kong man?!

As you and others pointed, I guess I was wrong on the Kremlins and I'm happy to hear it :) So I hope K.Rool joins Smash and I think their is something really wrong with Retro to choose to ignore the Kremlins not once but twice in a row cause they are awsome and way better than those other bad guys they made.

Could'nt care less about Dixie and don't get me started on Cranky. Would be such a huge waiste of character that could have gone to someone else. Already I feel the roster of new characters is far from stellar. 

the 4 newcomers are completely unique! It really seems like we are getting a nice upgrade. Especially the visual effects are so damn beautiful!

They just don't excite me as characters aside from MegaMan.

The villager is just a souless avatar devoid of personality/goals/or any character developement whatsoever. Same thing can be said for the Wii Fit trainer but worst, I don't see her as a video game character but more of some kind of AI built inside a interface to present you a bunch of training games.

As for Rosalina, I'm ok with her. But I feel their is more than enough Mario characters already. But I'm ok with her, especyaly as she seems unique to play.

I want characters with character development and that actualy get to fight in their original games. You can build a moveset for villager or wii fit trainer but I will never recognize those characters in their movesets since they are all made up and they never fought in their games. And I wan't characters that I grew loving cause of their personality/actions/goals or w/v. Like Shulk, Krystal, K.Rool, Bowser Jr, Chrom, Isaac and Medusa.

And the last thing, 3/4 of these characters are recent characters (well maybe I should also exclude the Villager). Both Rosalina and WiiFit tainer are from the Wii era (imo the worst era from nintendo for gamers). And the fact that they are all so recent makes me fear that they will focus on adding new characters instead of old ones that fans have been asking for years like some I mentioned above.

I know they will add other characters and that by doing so they can fix all my complaints. But SO FAR, the new characters are leaving me hoping for more.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Spazzy_D said:
tbone51 said:

Your right on that but Mr Game+Watch>>>R.O.B

R.O.B isnt a game character but an accessory and only of that to US (i might be wrong on that o.O)

That said, he be cool to stay in especially with a unique moveset but if we want new characters we have to let go of a couple unfortunately. If it were up to me i keep them all. I play with Wolf alot but i kno not to expect him at all :(

R.O.B is an extremly important part of Nintendo's history.  Extremly.  He was the trojan horse Nintendo used to sneak the NES into homes after the video game crash of the 80s.  He was, by the way, an international item, not just American... and he was playable in Mario Kart before Smash.  He has had cameos in Pikmin, F-Zero, Kirby, Star Tropics, and Rob 64 in Star Fox was named after him.

He has a unique moveset and Sakurai has said he wants uniqueness to be a focus of this game, and that he wants to include as many characters as possible.  0% chance he is cut, like I said, people said this same exact thing about Game and Watch before Brawl came out.

I think people are overestimating cuts, I think we will only see 2-3 cuts from Brawl, with a small chance we see no cuts.

To stay on Topic:  I'ld like to have Dixie as her own character, and I think DK deserves 3 reps.

Thats why immaking those threads (will they return) to see who is right or wrong!

Anyway there are 39 (40 if mewtwo is counted since lots of people want him back) in SSB, if they cut 2-3 that leave 37-38 + the 4 newcomers. That be 41-42. I think there will be 40-44 characters in the game (seems likely as he stated he wont increase the roster, but he will still increase imo).

Thats why i say thy'll cut at least 6 characters. In order imo is definitely going to leave SSB.

0% Chance

Snake= Metalgear doesn't even have games on Nintendo Platfrms!

Ike= Replaced by Chrom

Wolf= Either Replaced by Krstal or just gonecuz we already have 2 of a similar character.

The others i listec before have a small chance but thats just me (like 10%-30% chance). I wouldn't be surprised though if ROB joins back! I was surprised with Toon Link though lol (not lucario)

Link where he said that he wouldn't increase the roster.  

http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/7/2/3132507/next-super-smash-bros-might-not-have-a-much-larger-roster

"It isn't a matter of ‘If the next game has 50 characters, that'll be enough,'" Sakurai said. "There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive." 

All he said was that Brawl was near the limit where it would be hard to balance more characters, but this was right when Namco started helping out, and he has a MUCH larger team now.  This was back in 2012.

http://shoryuken.com/2013/06/24/polygon-interviews-super-smash-bros-director-masahiro-sakurai-on-roster-selection-says-creating-a-roster-is-stressful-almost-to-the-brink-of-death/

“Whether it’s a minor character or a character that is one of the most highly skilled and most played,” Sakurai said, “if that character is removed from the game, the people who live for that character in Smash Bros. are going to have their feelings hurt. "

“I think we have to really consider that, so I take a very serious, hard look at that and have empathy for the players who look for these type of characters when we’re making these decisions.” 

He doesn't like making cuts. ^

This one is the most intersting, it's from June 2013 so its also a lot more recent.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/20/sakurai-says-we-dont-have-time-to-bring-all-characters-back-to-smash-bros/

Two things:

1.) “I can answer that: no. We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point.”

^ Means we won't have all Smash Characters returning, but remember this includes Melee veterens like Pichu and Young Link.

2.)"I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character. So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it’s good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans.” 

^ Straight up says he does not want to cut anyone from Brawl, but that it might happen.

I personally see a final Roster of around 48.  I could be wrong.  Wouldn't surprise me to only see 45-46, but not less.  Also want to say, I don't like ROB, but I am 100% certain he will return.  I'll make a formal bet about it, you name the stakes.

Metrium said:
tbone51 said:
Metrium said:

They just don't excite me as characters aside from MegaMan.

The villager is just a souless avatar devoid of personality/goals/or any character developement whatsoever. Same thing can be said for the Wii Fit trainer but worst, I don't see her as a video game character but more of some kind of AI built inside a interface to present you a bunch of training games.

As for Rosalina, I'm ok with her. But I feel their is more than enough Mario characters already. But I'm ok with her, especyaly as she seems unique to play.

I want characters with character development and that actualy get to fight in their original games. You can build a moveset for villager or wii fit trainer but I will never recognize those characters in their movesets since they are all made up and they never fought in their games. And I wan't characters that I grew loving cause of their personality/actions/goals or w/v. Like Shulk, Krystal, K.Rool, Bowser Jr, Chrom, Isaac and Medusa.

And the last thing, 3/4 of these characters are recent characters (well maybe I should also exclude the Villager). Both Rosalina and WiiFit tainer are from the Wii era (imo the worst era from nintendo for gamers). And the fact that they are all so recent makes me fear that they will focus on adding new characters instead of old ones that fans have been asking for years like some I mentioned above.

I know they will add other characters and that by doing so they can fix all my complaints. But SO FAR, the new characters are leaving me hoping for more.

Well to be fair Captain Falcon+Fox (as well as Falco/Wolf) and many others never had fought in thier games either! Thats why sakarai is great, villager has a completely unique moveset as well as Wii Fit trainer. Also i dont see sakarai putting in characters from so much as the wii era. Rosalina is very very popular as she also was finally playable in a platformer as well as appearing in other games. Wii Fit Trainer is the WTF character this time as SSBM+SSBB had their own as well! Also to note Wii Fit sold more than so damn much and thats why she is in the game!

As for more newcomers, i agree with more unique/memorable characters. But they need to be important/popular figures. Imo these characters have the best chance to be in the game (pls note this isnt my personal 5 but logical 5 off the top of my head)

1 Chrom: Yes this character is in the only FE game to sell over a million making him quite popular and he is also in the most recent game

2 Palutena: My favorite 3DS game but aside from that KI has gotten much more popular after SSBB+KIU. It has one representative for the franchise and Paletuna had more than enough reason to join. Sakarai also is the one to make up Pit+All Kid Icarus characters as they are now due to SSBB+KIU despite the original 2 games. (Medusa+Magnus has a chance as well but palutena seems the most likely)

3 Little Mac: Self explanatory. He is a popular character and got a reboot in the wii era. 

4 Dixie Kong: Cuz of Tropical Freeze and she was in 2 of the 3 DK games on SNES! Also another female rep

5  Shulk (or X main character): Monolth is a fantastic developer. Nintendo needs to show them love and wat better way than SSB!

i have a top 10 but thats another time. Before this reveal Rosalina was in the tp 10 due to her overgrowing popularity! 

Spazzy_D said:
tbone51 said:
Spazzy_D said:
tbone51 said:

Your right on that but Mr Game+Watch>>>R.O.B

R.O.B isnt a game character but an accessory and only of that to US (i might be wrong on that o.O)

That said, he be cool to stay in especially with a unique moveset but if we want new characters we have to let go of a couple unfortunately. If it were up to me i keep them all. I play with Wolf alot but i kno not to expect him at all :(

R.O.B is an extremly important part of Nintendo's history.  Extremly.  He was the trojan horse Nintendo used to sneak the NES into homes after the video game crash of the 80s.  He was, by the way, an international item, not just American... and he was playable in Mario Kart before Smash.  He has had cameos in Pikmin, F-Zero, Kirby, Star Tropics, and Rob 64 in Star Fox was named after him.

He has a unique moveset and Sakurai has said he wants uniqueness to be a focus of this game, and that he wants to include as many characters as possible.  0% chance he is cut, like I said, people said this same exact thing about Game and Watch before Brawl came out.

I think people are overestimating cuts, I think we will only see 2-3 cuts from Brawl, with a small chance we see no cuts.

To stay on Topic:  I'ld like to have Dixie as her own character, and I think DK deserves 3 reps.

Thats why immaking those threads (will they return) to see who is right or wrong!

Anyway there are 39 (40 if mewtwo is counted since lots of people want him back) in SSB, if they cut 2-3 that leave 37-38 + the 4 newcomers. That be 41-42. I think there will be 40-44 characters in the game (seems likely as he stated he wont increase the roster, but he will still increase imo).

Thats why i say thy'll cut at least 6 characters. In order imo is definitely going to leave SSB.

0% Chance

Snake= Metalgear doesn't even have games on Nintendo Platfrms!

Ike= Replaced by Chrom

Wolf= Either Replaced by Krstal or just gonecuz we already have 2 of a similar character.

The others i listec before have a small chance but thats just me (like 10%-30% chance). I wouldn't be surprised though if ROB joins back! I was surprised with Toon Link though lol (not lucario)

Link where he said that he wouldn't increase the roster.  

http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/7/2/3132507/next-super-smash-bros-might-not-have-a-much-larger-roster

"It isn't a matter of ‘If the next game has 50 characters, that'll be enough,'" Sakurai said. "There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive." 

All he said was that Brawl was near the limit where it would be hard to balance more characters, but this was right when Namco started helping out, and he has a MUCH larger team now.  This was back in 2012.

http://shoryuken.com/2013/06/24/polygon-interviews-super-smash-bros-director-masahiro-sakurai-on-roster-selection-says-creating-a-roster-is-stressful-almost-to-the-brink-of-death/

“Whether it’s a minor character or a character that is one of the most highly skilled and most played,” Sakurai said, “if that character is removed from the game, the people who live for that character in Smash Bros. are going to have their feelings hurt. "

“I think we have to really consider that, so I take a very serious, hard look at that and have empathy for the players who look for these type of characters when we’re making these decisions.” 

He doesn't like making cuts. ^

This one is the most intersting, it's from June 2013 so its also a lot more recent.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/20/sakurai-says-we-dont-have-time-to-bring-all-characters-back-to-smash-bros/

Two things:

1.) “I can answer that: no. We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point.”

^ Means we won't have all Smash Characters returning, but remember this includes Melee veterens like Pichu and Young Link.

2.)"I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character. So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it’s good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans.” 

^ Straight up says he does not want to cut anyone from Brawl, but that it might happen.

I personally see a final Roster of around 48.  I could be wrong.  Wouldn't surprise me to only see 45-46, but not less.  Also want to say, I don't like ROB, but I am 100% certain he will return.  I'll make a formal bet about it, you name the stakes.

Wow! Thankz, im taking my time reading! Totally forgot some things, only thing im wrried abou is the 3ds limit. But with no story mode (subspace emmisary) i think it can pull it off! Im hoping for 50 characters! But i'll keep my expectations on 40-44!!! 

F0X said:

I would guess that it's because the new enemies allowed Retro to think about new gameplay opportunities. Like the drum-esque enemy in DKCR that you have to hit three times in order to kill. It fit in with the game's broader philosophy of timing-based platforming, imo. Although, I will say that DKCR's enemies as a whole are not as neat as the Kremlings.

The Snowmads, on the other hand, seem pretty cool and inspired. Whereas the Kremlings and Tikis are industrialists intent on exploiting DK Island's resources, the Snowmads are Viking-esque conquerers determined to unite the world under their ice-cold banner. I can live without Kremlings is Retro continues putting such good ideas forward.

Totally agree, retro has done an excellent job. I would love however a 3D DK game with King K Rool back :)

Around the Network

By the way tbone, completely agree with you on having lowered expectations, better to be surprised than let down. I'm just tired of people sticking to one interview quote instead of looking up everything Sakurai said.

Does anyone know if there is an actual reason that the Kremlings haven't been used? I've heard legal reasons but I've never seen an actual source, and I know K. Rool was in a Mario Sports game not to long ago. On the other hand, didn't they remove DKC from the virtual console?

Spazzy_D said:
By the way tbone, completely agree with you on having lowered expectations, better to be surprised than let down. I'm just tired of people sticking to one interview quote instead of looking up everything Sakurai said.

Does anyone know if there is an actual reason that the Kremlings haven't been used? I've heard legal reasons but I've never seen an actual source, and I know K. Rool was in a Mario Sports game not to long ago. On the other hand, didn't they remove DKC from the virtual console?

I dont think there is a reason, like FOX stated in his last post, i definitely see why they did different enemies. That said it would be cool if king k rool + kremlings can return!

tbone51 said:
Spazzy_D said:

I dont think there is a reason, like FOX stated in his last post, i definitely see why they did different enemies. That said it would be cool if king k rool + kremlings can return!

Yeah, it's just weird that the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy isn't on the virtual console anymore. 

Spazzy_D said:
tbone51 said:
Spazzy_D said:

Yeah, it's just weird that the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy isn't on the virtual console anymore. 

was it on wii eshop? also wen did they do it?

http://www.gamesradar.com/donkey-kong-country-titles-about-be-removed/

Back in November of 2012.