By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Donkey Kong tropical freeze going to not break a million in sales lifetime?

spurgeonryan said:

Did not even register on the Japanese pre-order chart.

I hope not. I was very disappointed. I wanted something that felt like an awesome sequel to the original DKC trilogy games. This is just a weird platformer using the DKC characters. Not a popular opinion with forum posters on vg sites, but apparently more actual consumers agree with me because this game is not popular.

And stop using 'attach rate' as a sign of a game's success with the Wii U! People who are stuck with a Wii U are desperate to get some decent use out of it. These games should be SELLING CONSOLES and they aren't. We're a year and a half into the console's lifetime, these new games should bump up system sales. It's not surprising that people who got their system for $300/$350 in 2012 are buying one of the only games to come out on it in months.

Around the Network
Dunban67 said:
If Retro would have done a 3D Metroid game instead (released at the same time), would it have sold more software? Would it have sold more hardware?

We may never know for sure but I will bet almost anything that it would have sold alt more of both and when/if Retro does a 3D Metroid game for the Wii U it will sell more software and hardware than DKTF

I highly doubt it. The Metroid franchise isn't very big. Tropical Freeze will probably sell more than Metroid Prime 3 that had a 100M install base.

So what counts as a flop these days if sm3dw has sold over 2million and ww over a mill? And yet these are considered flops! Dktf will sell all through the consoles life it will easily do another 500k plus over the next 5-6 years imo. Iego movie has sold 100k on ps4 and 90thousand on wii u is that a flop? Where the thread for thief is a flop etc

greencactaur said:
It'll pass 1million easily, but I don't see it breaking 2m ;(.

Which is a shame, because I heard many people say that TF is much better than Returns.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

End of the year it's over a million. It will probably end up as the lowest selling console Donkey Kong platforming game though, with the next contender at (from the top of my head) around 3m. It should still end up with a respectable number regardless at the end of WiiU's life in 4 or 5 years.

Around the Network

It's unlikely to achieve the six million its predecessor managed, but it will indeed break a million. It's a shoe-in for first-game-with-a-new-system, and will keep being so for years.

episteme said:
Dunban67 said:
If Retro would have done a 3D Metroid game instead (released at the same time), would it have sold more software? Would it have sold more hardware?

We may never know for sure but I will bet almost anything that it would have sold alt more of both and when/if Retro does a 3D Metroid game for the Wii U it will sell more software and hardware than DKTF

I highly doubt it. The Metroid franchise isn't very big. Tropical Freeze will probably sell more than Metroid Prime 3 that had a 100M install base.

I hope we get to find out how a new Metroid game does on the Wii u-  at this point none of the usual power hitters among the Nintendo frachises has moved a meanigful amount of consoles-  maybe it is time to give some of the others a chance-      although i boughht the Wii u at launch (mistkae but it lined up w my 8 year olds b day and X mas very well) , I value a console ove ts lifetime-   We still have some excellent  Wii games we have not played  and many others that warant a return -  despite alot of shovel ware and little support at the end of its lifespan, the Wii had alot of great software w a diverse library cumlitlvly- But i am not feeeling very confident about the future of the Wi U library-  there have been some great games but if you don t love all the 1st party games and some most of the 3rd party then the library gets thin quick-    right now the Wii U is primarily a Nintendo/platforming console-  that is not what Nintendo was selling at launch nore is it what i intended to purchase-    

Dunban67 said:
episteme said:
Dunban67 said:

I hope we get to find out how a new Metroid game does on the Wii u-  at this point none of the usual power hitters among the Nintendo frachises has moved a meanigful amount of consoles-  maybe it is time to give some of the others a chance-      although i boughht the Wii u at launch (mistkae but it lined up w my 8 year olds b day and X mas very well) , I value a console ove ts lifetime-   We still have some excellent  Wii games we have not played  and many others that warant a return -  despite alot of shovel ware and little support at the end of its lifespan, the Wii had alot of great software w a diverse library cumlitlvly- But i am not feeeling very confident about the future of the Wi U library-  there have been some great games but if you don t love all the 1st party games and some most of the 3rd party then the library gets thin quick-    right now the Wii U is primarily a Nintendo/platforming console-  that is not what Nintendo was selling at launch nore is it what i intended to purchase-    

Well, everyone says that NSMBU and 3D World did nothing, but I'd say that the Wii U wouldn't have half of it's sales without those games. 3D World sold around 2M and the Wii U also sold around 2M since 3D World's launch. NSMBU had a 57% attach rate before it was bundled (its 64% now).

But yes, the Wii U should have had one additional Nintendo game in the first halves of 2013 and 2014. They don't have enough employees.

I liked Wii u's first year more than Wii's. Probably because I don't like Twilight Princess that much (Wind Waker was much better)  and 3D World is my favourite couch multiplayer game of all time.

I think it will sell over 1 Million and for Wii U sales thats pretty good.

Look back at n64 some games we love and know did not even sell one million hell Majoras mask barely sold 3 and it was a critical success.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~

*claps hands*