By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Washington Post: Investors Want Microsoft’s New CEO to Kill Xbox, Bing and Surface

Tagged games:

Hmm, I definitely think Bing needs to go, Surface might have potential, give that time. Xbox, well as many have said it hasn't actually made them a lot of money. I imagine things would work out fine if they did what Sony is doing with their TVs and made it into a subsidiary. Still, for Nadella to do any of that, it'd still take some serious courage, with Gates and Balmer still on the board. He said in his email to everyone that he'd be asking for more involvement from Bill, so I don't see them giving up on anything.

Around the Network

Great. Can we now have the thread for all 3 gaming divisions of this generation being doomed?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Kill Xbox? That's like abandoning your childhood and any idea of having fun in your life.
That's crazy, even if it begins to fail it's part of their anatomy and it's not the appendix. (speaking as someone who's never owned an Xbox)

Wait till I'm like 50 years old and have bought at least 2000 shares of stock first, then they can get rid of all that crap so I can retire.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

I don't think they'll kill XBox now. If One loses a lot of market share, I could see them dropping the product or selling it. They need to keep Bing to prevent Google from having a monopoly, and using said monopoly to take over the MSOffice sector.

Also, saying a business-focused company doesn't need to worry about private consumers is stupid. See: Blackberry. If you love your iPhone at home, why would you want a different product at work? MS needs a consumer presence because consumers run businesses.

Around the Network
FlamingWeazel said:
think-man said:
They're not going to sell Xbox, that's just every opposing fanboys fantasy.

Please don't generalize and speak for everyone, many know competition is a good thing, last thing I want is MS to sell xbox.

I said "fanboys" unless you are one this doesn't apply to you.

Personally I could care less who actually owns the Xbox brand. Samsung would be a cool option.

Kill bing and keep the xbox division.

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

ethomaz said:
Blood_Tears said:
My favorite line in the whole article.
"You're asking for Nadella to walk into a board meeting and look Ballmer and Gates in the eye and say, 'The decisions you've made over the past two decades are a mistake,'" said Bontempo. "That's going to take some serious strength of character." lol

Yeap... I don't think it will happen but the change for more Services delivery is something big companies are moving... IBM started that years ago cutting off all the consumers devices/products... the focus only on services and delivery...  we are good with that.

Sony is in a worst situation than MS and they started to cut off some customers devices like the PC division...

I know investors wants money and the console divisions didn't give the profits a company like MS expected... most of time it gives loss but even when it profits (mid to late in the generation) the profit is too small compared with other MS services.

I think today nothing will happen but in 5-10 years MS can cut off the Xbox... before that they will cut Bing and Surface for sure.

Not really, what make you think they are going to cut that for sure?
  > Bing market shares (advertising) is growing year after year...
  > They also had a very quarter for their Surface business and it is just a begining...
Do you have an insider about that or is it just a another of your random speculation (and a "for sure" one,  as always with you)

Also when you say Sony is in a worst situation that Microsoft, not sure what you are implying but Microsoft is in a strong (ie: very good) situation right now, I do not really understand how you can compare them to Sony in any way...

"Some" investors (the articles are really talking about some of them...) want things to be done their way. That's alright, but they are not CEO.

Stop the hate and come back on earth please :)

Well, I believe the point isn't even about if the division is good for the company or not. Nadella made clear that Bill Gates will be more active on the company once again, so he doesn't looks to be a guy that will challenge the status quo, but one that will keep things like they are. It's not a critic and I'm not saying that one option is right or wrong, but he already showed what he will do with his actions.

Now, if I was in his position, I would keep the division. Even if it doesn't profit a lot compared to others, it at least isn't hurting them and allows for a better position in the consumer space. We could divide MS in their corporate business, that are doing great and their consumer business, that is not so great. They have Surface (won't go anywhere important), Windows Phone (it's dead) and Bing (same as the others) as consumer oriented products. None of these will work. XBox is their consumer oriented product that really worked, so they won't ditch it as easily, specially without trying the unification of XBox, Win8 and WP8 first.

I only see they killing XBox if both of these things occur:
- They grow tired of WP8, Surface and Bing, ending those products so XB becomes their only consumer product
- Bad XBox sales

In the end the question isn't if they will keep XBox, is if they will be a consumer oriented company or a consumer/business oriented company. Right now they are a business oriented one with some consumer things.