By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I'm putting this in off topic, and I'm not bashing the Wii, more admiring a exellent gimmick. (not the wii either)

My friend went to one of his friends houses, and played a Wii for a few hours, and thought. WOW, this is AMAZING! He was telling me all about it, and how great it was, and how much he loved the Wiimote with Nunchuck! He was really amazed. (he is 23 for those wondering his age)

After he told me that, I let him borrow my Wii. (why not, I dont use it)

After he played it for quite a days, and worked into a week or two, he was telling me how much he LOVES his 360. And the Wii sucks.

Now, this thread isnt about the Wii sucking, or anything of that sort. I am just saying. He LOVED the Wii, and was going to buy one, and just for laughs, I let him borrow mine for awhile. After he had one for a few weeks, he no-longer wanted it.

I have seen that pattern in ALOT of people, and I think the Wii sales are really a hard bean to track. Because who is buying them for Wii Sports. And who is buying them for games? You dont know. I think that is why the attach ratio is so low, because of the lower price, and extreme hype, everyone is getting them. (even non-gamers) And playing on it for a few hours, like most americans do on their exercise equipment, they only use once, and spend thousands of dollars on. I agree, a sale is a sale, and this website is about sales. The gimmick, I feel is Wii Sports. A game that seems to have amazing depth, game power, and allows virtually infinate power/possiblities of the control system. Unless your a hardcore gamer, or really in tune with your movements, you wont notice, they are actually quite limited in what they do, and how it works. Now, it's fine for the games that come out for it. (normally, some suck, but cant blame nintendo for that) After playing Wii sports, and seeing the phenomom, you think. "Hell, only 250$ and I can get this fun thing and I can exercise with it too! Amazing!" People are buying them like hot-cakes, and then they gather dust. If you actually look at software sales, the 360 is right up there right next to the Wii, even tho the Wii has 5million more units out there, selling 300,000 a week more, and unlike the 360. Dosent have a 50% faliure rate. I know ALOT of people who bought a 2nd 360, because their original got red-ring, and they didnt want to wait 1month to get it back, and/or pay 120$. (rember, for awhile if you got a 360 when it first came out, the warrenty expired, and the RROD warrent clause wasnt in effect).

As a hardware system, and as hardware sales go, the Wii is selling spectacular, it even comes with it's best selling companion. Wii Sports. But over time, I'm really not sure how well the Wii is going to do, on the gameing side of the fence. I just cant beleive how well the Wii is selling. It has really turned into a cultural phenomon. But as I have observed... Unfortuinatly for me. Gamers play on the 360 today. Not the Wii, Not the PS3. For a gamer, I think the 360 has won this generation, and for hardware sales, I think the Wii will win. Overall I dont have a problem with it, as I have come to understand the Wii, as I understand hand-helds. Their not the same thing, not the same market. The Wii is a GAC not a GC. (General Audiance Console) (Game Console)

Overall, If you love your Wii, and you love the games that come out for it. Enjoy it, and love it that much more. I'm gonna love my PS3/360. To each their own.

EDIT: I dont think anyone understood my point. the Wii is NOT a gimmick. Wii Sports is the gimmick. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

If I had the money I would buy a PS3, for now I'll love my Wii.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Interesting read, more interesting flame-bait. Can't wait to see how this goes.

*Grabs popcorn*

when you let this friend borrow your wii which games did you lend him?

Awww Kwaad we missed you :3. Umm I actually agree somewhat with the percentile that buys games, not so much on it being a gimmick, a personal friend of mine literally bought his Wii for Zelda, and hasn't played or touched the system since :/ it's not hard to imagine more people doing the same, esp non-gamers. For many people, Wii sports is pretty much all you need. They don't play it very often, but when they have people over it's the first game to turn on. (that is if they don't have rock band :P )

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

I thought kwaad was banned forever.

"He LOVED the Wii, and was going to buy one, and just for laughs, I let him borrow mine for awhile. After he had one for a few weeks, he no-longer wanted it."

Let's see he played...wii sports/play. Anything else? Rent any other games? I mean of course anyone will get bored after a couple of weeks with just those games. You always show this as proof of why Wii is a fad/gimmick. Yet, you ignore the other games out there as I am sure you friend did as well.

He probably went to the store and said "ok, where is a Gears/Halo type of Wii game. Oh wait, there really isn't. Metroid Prime is close nothing like Live. Hmm, I want my 360."

waaaa, crybaby. Rent some games, try out MP3 or Zack & Wiki, etc.

Oh, and welcome back Kwaad. Nice to see your rehashed ideas again.

Ebay being flooded with Wiis in 3...2....1... confirmed now.

Oh, and nice to see you around again, Kwaad.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Aah, Kwaad is back, welcome back. Posts the same stuff as in the past. I'm interested, could be funny. *look for popcorn*

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

god, how i missed your endless rants against the wii and the xbox360.
but why don't you mention the winning ps3 ? motorstorm is here is it?
where is the storm??
wii is a nice gimmick isn't it, but the power of the gimmick makes it sell like sex.
on top of that why did your friedn loved his xbox 360?
he has more games for that platform, how many games does he have for the wii?
and how do you enjoy your ps3, is it gathering dust?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.