By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Thinking of buying my first Castlevania game; so what d'yall recommend?

SO I've been listening to Castlevania music for years both arranged and OST and love it but only played my first Castlevania title recently when I bought Super Castlevania IV via Wii VC. It's music is really good but the gameplay gets very frustrating and there's no built in battery save!

Now I'm considering buying a newer Castlevania: whether it's one of the PS2, GBA, DS titles or maybe Symphony of the Night. If SotN is still the best (as many say) I'll go for that. I know it has awesome music but is it still the best in the series now that so many more Castlevania titles have been released since? The music is what makes or breaks a game for me, if it doesn't have a good soundtrack it's not worth it to me.  But gameplay is important too; I hope the gameplay still isn't as frustrating as the earlier titles.

So what do you recommend for a castlevania newbie? Something not too difficult but user friendly right now I'm leaning towards searching for a new Symphony of the Night copy...Should I go with that or one of the newer titles...?

"The next time someone tells you Compact Discs are the wave of the future, tell them the future doesn't belong to snails!" - Nintendo Power, April 1994

Around the Network

you should get castle vania symphonia of the night for psone dont lean anymore towards it just get it

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
you should get castle vania symphonia of the night for psone dont lean anymore towards it just get it

May I ask why exactly?

And how do the recent PS2 titles and the handheld 2D titles compare to SotN?

"The next time someone tells you Compact Discs are the wave of the future, tell them the future doesn't belong to snails!" - Nintendo Power, April 1994

Symphony of the Night for sure. It is the best of the franchise. The DS and GBA had some good installments too, and some of the older ones are good as well, but Symphony of the Night is still the best.

You can get it on PS1, the PSN, Xbox Marketplace, and on the PSP.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

If you go to the Wii menu from the VC game it automatically saves.

Around the Network

I did like Lament of Innocence on PS2, but SOTN was better.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
I did like Lament of Innocence on PS2, but SOTN was better.

Alright I'll go for SotN. Maybe then I'll look into Lament of Innocence, isn't it 3D, how was the transition for castlevania from 2D?

Well, Super Castlevania IV is the ultimate game. Sorry if its too hard for you. Fantastic game, especially the turning rooms.

I never played SotN, but all the newer games are for sissies. They are fun, but not really a challenge compared to SCIV.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Seriously, the first one on the NES is the greatest one. ALl the greatest songs comes from that one.

I've got the touch!!

Castlevania 2 : Simon's Quest

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.