By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Future of Sony? 1.1 Billion dollar loss.

I didn't know we had this many administrators, CEO, CFO here that seems to know how to recover Sony... They should fire the board of directors and all higher ups to hire you folks. How many of you is a top manager? Most here are in debt and taking government aid. Complain about prices and how companies are greedy. Yes you sure are better qualified than Kaz Hirai.

People say sony should downsize and get rid off PC and tv, dismiss people to reduce costs. Sony does that and people complain. And don't see why Sony will post a loss. Say they sell buildings and divisions to hide losses but ignore sony also bought newer buildings and companies, that's part of their reestructuration.

The best part is some people saying they want Sony to recover and they want competition when everyone knows they hate Sony and want them and their fans to die.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

They could just focus on producing PS4 and they'll regain all these dollars !
Seriously I wish they could focus on their most profitable segments, and I assume it's a safe decision to let down the Laptops one. It doesn't have a bright future.

DonFerrari said:
I didn't know we had this many administrators, CEO, CFO here that seems to know how to recover Sony... They should fire the board of directors and all higher ups to hire you folks. How many of you is a top manager? Most here are in debt and taking government aid. Complain about prices and how companies are greedy. Yes you sure are better qualified than Kaz Hirai.

Amazing how much one condascending assumption from an anonymous internet commentator tells us about them.

Yes..... I'm sure most here are on government aid, merely because you vote a certain way.

SnowPrince said:
Seriously I wish they could focus on their most profitable segments, and I assume it's a safe decision to let down the Laptops one. It doesn't have a bright future.

PS4 is sold at loss

Click HERE and be happy 

They will be alright. Sony is too big to fail. Government of Japan will take care of them if everything else fails. They don't care about some billions more or less in debt.

People tend to underestimate the sheer size of Sony. Even though they are in trouble, they are a global multi billion dollar company.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

Sony is not where they want to be financially for sure, but at the same time I don't think they're in any danger of declaring bankruptcy within the next 2 years either as Macroaxis suggested a couple months ago. They still have a positive EPS and their P/E is not terrible. Market cap sits at around 17 B. Getting rid of their unprofitable PC division was a good move and probably should've been done a few years earlier when the PC market space was already beginning to stagnate. It would be smart of them to continue to trim and decrease their presence in the consumer electronics space. There's just too much competition there right now and Sony doesn't have the pricing power that it once had. Instead, they should focus more on Entertainment, Content/Services, and their flourishing Financial businesses. Most people don't know that Sony's most profitable division is actually their Financial arm, accounting for 60+% of their operating profit the past few years. That's also why I don't think Sony is in any real danger to go bankrupt within the next couple years. If not for their Consumer Electronics division bleeding billions of dollars the last few years, Sony's financials would look a whole lot better. So if all else fails, they could sell off most of their Consumer Electronics assets, downsize and rebrand themselves as a financial institute.

VitroBahllee said:
DonFerrari said:

Amazing how much one condascending assumption from an anonymous internet commentator tells us about them.

Yes..... I'm sure most here are on government aid, merely because you vote a certain way.

What a great way to ignore everything you can't arguee back and come to a conclusion on my party choice, this tells more about you then me dear offender.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

jacks81x said:
Sony is not where they want to be financially for sure, but at the same time I don't think they're in any danger of declaring bankruptcy within the next 2 years either as Macroaxis suggested a couple months ago. They still have a positive EPS and their P/E is not terrible. Market cap sits at around 17 B. Getting rid of their unprofitable PC division was a good move and probably should've been done a few years earlier when the PC market space was already beginning to stagnate. It would be smart of them to continue to trim and decrease their presence in the consumer electronics space. There's just too much competition there right now and Sony doesn't have the pricing power that it once had. Instead, they should focus more on Entertainment, Content/Services, and their flourishing Financial businesses. Most people don't know that Sony's most profitable division is actually their Financial arm, accounting for 60+% of their operating profit the past few years. That's also why I don't think Sony is in any real danger to go bankrupt within the next couple years. If not for their Consumer Electronics division bleeding billions of dollars the last few years, Sony's financials would look a whole lot better. So if all else fails, they could sell off most of their Consumer Electronics assets, downsize and rebrand themselves as a financial institute.

Isn't it crazy that a company doing so good on financial service do so bad on their financial aspect? Maybe they should loan from themselves or hire themselves to administrate themselves.

EricFabian said:
SnowPrince said:

PS4 is sold at loss

Indeed, but you also have to realize that the majority of the money is made from the software and accessories.  The first step is to get the hardware into people's homes.  That's why console makers are willing to sell the consoles for a minimal profit or even at a loss.

VitroBahllee said:
Love how some people are trying to spin this.

"Man loses house to immense gambling debts, wife and kids kidnapped and held ransom. Car and other assets taken."

'This is good for the guy's future, because now he's got that house out of the way and the car should help. He'll probably work harder to get his wife and kids back... I'd say this is good news for the hugely in-debt man. Things look sunny.'

I don't get what is being spun....the PC business has been losing them money for a LONG time....the TV business has been losing them money for a LONG time. They are getting rid of the PC business and downsizing the TV business. So that is agood for them. They have been bleeding money these past few years and the thread title is about the FUTURE of SONY not the present. And with the way things are going, PS3 still selling well, PS4 exceeding expectations, Spiderman 2 looking to bring in some good money...the future does actually look better for them....which is the point...but I guess taht is called spin now...soooo yeah I guess...

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23