By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony says enough is enough, to cut 5,000 jobs, split off PC, TV operations

"Sony also said it will split its TV division off into a separate company by July 2014."

So does that mean that Sony will own the company that will be making the Vaio TVs or that they are selling them to a different company?

Around the Network

Sony seems to fire people every quarter almost. Is this a stable company?

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Yeah, baby! Let's make it profitable.

Nintendo 2018

English is not my native language.
yo_john117 said:

"Sony also said it will split its TV division off into a separate company by July 2014."

So does that mean that Sony will own the company that will be making the Vaio TVs or that they are selling them to a different company?

Vaio is their PC brand, their TV brand is Bravia and yes, that initially will be a 100% daughter of Sony

mind said:
Yeah, baby! Let's make it profitable.

That road will be long and painful for Sony, just by selling the PC division and doing changes to the TV division won't make it start getting profits right away. As stated by Sony, a 1 billion dollar loss this year, and we don't know if that will continue for more years.

OT: I think Sony's reports can be summarize like this: Amazing for gaming division, PCs and TVs going to hell and the rest just ok.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
yo_john117 said:

Vaio is their PC brand, their TV brand is Bravia and yes, that initially will be a 100% daughter of Sony

Heh, I knew that. I'm not sure why I said Vaio instead of Bravia though >_<

You know I'm not entirely sure how seperating their TV line into a different company will make it profitable though.

yo_john117 said:

You know I'm not entirely sure how seperating their TV line into a different company will make it profitable though.

That's what I'm thinking as well...need an expert to explain this to me.

Nintendo and PC gamer

yo_john117 said:

Well, in my opinion it's more of a sign to investors that the division can easily be sold off, if it continues to post bad results and might make things easier for potential buyers. Additionally it could "motivate" the Bravia management to improve the recovery efforts.

Maybe it enables the cancellation of some old contracts with employees or supplers aswell, but I'm not sure about that one.

About time. They should be focusing more on tablets and phones as that's where the future is headed.

Though it is a shame because they really did (imo) make the best T.V's.

Lafiel said:
yo_john117 said:

Well, in my opinion it's more of a sign to investors that the division can easily be sold off, if it continues to post bad results and might make things easier for potential buyers. Additionally it could "motivate" the Bravia management to improve the recovery efforts.

Maybe it enables the cancellation of some old contracts with employees or supplers aswell, but I'm not sure about that one.

probably, and also easier to file backrupcy fo just a daughter

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.