By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ps4 outsold Wii U 3.5 times this week. Is it time to panic?

ironmanDX said:
DerNebel said:

It had a great launch period and is now falling fast, especially because of its very poor performance in Europe. The X1s January sales are at the moment trailing behind the 360s first January.

The 360 had shortages in December... like the PS4. Xbox One only sold out for a short duration but supply has been good for the most part this generation.

That doesn't make the X1s european performance less poor. But let's take another example, the X1 is barely outperforming the PS3 in its first January, the difference is that the PS3 was at that point only available in the US, Canada, Japan and for some reason Taiwan and Hong Kong, these regions make up less than 50% of the PS3s lifetime sales. The X1 on the other hand is released in the US, UK, Germany, France which make up over 70% over of lifetime 360 sales already, and 9 more countries, so the X1 is already out for about 80%, maybe more, of 360 buyers.

To make it simple, the X1 is not performing very well this January, due to poor European sales.

Around the Network
existenz2 said:

The time to panic with the WiiU was last year.

We are well past panic at this point.

No offense but speak for yourself. I for one have never panicked. I know high quality games that I want to play are coming this year and beyond, and I can't wait to play them. I will be enjoying myself, regardless of "how Nintendo's doing vs. PS4". I feel confident they will pick up sales-wise, but I'm not going to kill myself if Sony "wins" this generation. It was a nice bonus to have Wii doing so well last time, but I could honestly care less, so long as the system sells decently, and I get the kind of games I want to play.

Game Cube years was good. If Wii U managed at least do to the same it's good.

superhippy420 said:
NeoRatt said:
superhippy420 said:
NeoRatt said:
Torillian said:
NeoRatt said:
3DS has outsold PS Vita for multiple years at 6:1 world wide...

If it is time for Nintendo to panic on the Wii U at 3.5:1, then it must be time for Sony to fold the tents, coward home, and leave the handheld business with Vita.

The last bit of your post is a tad overstated for effect but I don't see how it's an unfair comparison.  You are correct that the beating Vita is taking to the 3DS is definitely something that Sony should be looking at as an indication that what they are trying now isn't working and they shouldn't just soldier on with the same strategy, and yes something crazy might be a good idea (like Vita TV seems like a crazy idea which obviously hasn't worked but shows they know the status quo isn't working).  Nintendo probably should look at WiiU in not quite as bad a light since the comparison between WiiU and PS4 isn't as bad as Vita to 3DS, but they shouldn't be going home satisfied of a job well done at least as far as marketing, sales, and mindshare goes.  

Definately.  I just hate threads that have sensational titles like "Is it time to panic?" for Wii U... When the OP was clearly made by a fanboy who is an obvious Sony fan (Signature clearly stated they only own a Sony console and handheld).

Nintendo definately, has to look at its current business model and decide how to proceed.  Obviously the Wii fans did not fully jump on board to Wii U.  And Nintendo has to really look in the mirror and decide which way to go.  Right now their console's appeal to the typical core gamer is next to zero, and the fanbase they built with the Wii doesn't seem to excited about what the Wii U offered.  Their games are still good, but they don't have many of the features of the newest consoles...  aka Blu-ray playback, memory, storage, social features, strong online features, etc.  They really need to decide if this is the way to sell a console going forward.  Its good to differentiate your product, but differentiation should not throw out 90% of what makes consoles interesting now-a-days.

People aren't buying consoles because of Blu-Ray, memory, and good online features.    GTA V sold over 30 million copies and the online is terrible.  People aren't buying Wii U because its the Nintendo Box, with no Nintendo games.   I love Pikmin....no one gives a shit about Pikmin lets be real.   Wind Waker...how many people are really going tobuy a console for a remake.  SM3DW...great game, but it's not a mindblowing Mario like SMB,SMW,SM64,or Galaxy.   3DS is at 42 million and every single game is a sequel except for SM3DL.   They could not release one more game and the 3DS will sell atleast 55 million just on sequels alone.  Wii U just needs the Nintendo games people actually want to play.

Really? 

Just because GTA V sells 30 mill that means nobody buys a console because of blu-ray, memory, storage, online features, and social features?

Have you not noticed that CoD constantly sells well based mostly on online features?

Have you not noticed that some people cannot afford both a blu-ray player and a console?

Have you not noticed that digital downloading of games is now fairly popular on consoles which requires storage?

Have you not noticed that 8GB RAM allows developers to make more complex games?

Have you not noticed the 80 million plus subscribers of online features for both PS3 and 360?

What rock are you living under?

I'm not living under a rock I am just telling you that all of that stuff is way overblown.  

-Most people already have a Blu-Ray player and if you don't they only cost $80 to $100 for a new one.

- Digital Downloads of full retail games are only a small fraction still of retail games.  Take Minecraft for example.  When it was just a download it didn't really do that well on Xbox.  Once it came out at Retail it is in the top 10 constantly.

-  Complex games?   What complex games are you talking about.  The next-gen games are the same games we have been getting for years just with new and improved graphics.

It's less about be living under a rock and more about you hanging out on forums and online too much and buying into all of this stuff because other hardcore gamers on here buy into it.  Your average person's online experience on Xbox is pay for gold, pop in Call of Duty, play online multiplayer.   Most other games have tiny amounts of online communities now.  Go on Halo 4 now and there are almost always less then 100k players.

$80-100 is significant to some people.  Blu-ray is also significant to people who want to reduce the number of electronics they have.

Minecraft of 360 has topped 10,000,000 total copies sold.  about 7-8 million were digitally downloaded compared to 3-4 million at retail.  Hard to say that is a small fraction. http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/12/13/minecraft-sells-13-million-on-pc-10-million-on-360

Complex games...  DR3, Forza, Killzone, Ryse are all next gen examples of things the Wii U simply doesn't even come close to doing.

In your call of duty scenario, the game relies on matchmaking, leaderboards, party chat, player reputation, and many other things both the PS and XB consoles give them to be the whole experience.  That's why Wii version of CoD sell like crap.  The features just aren't there.

You're living under a Wii U rock.  As for me hanging out on these forums, I post probably less than 50 unique threads a year here. I would hardly call that hanging out here.

No panic, Nintendo makes money on each console sold, they aren't having any losses.

Around the Network
TheDrill said:
No panic, Nintendo makes money on each console sold, they aren't having any losses.

Damn, that's some indepth analysis right there!

You do realise they have more expenses to cover then just the production cost of the machine right?

Also whats with the pointless necro.

It was time to panic when PS4 outsold wii u in a few months, of what it did in a year.