By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Questions about NPD Data

I have a question or two about NPD data.

First of all, this is not a slam thread or a troll thread or anything like that.

NPD decided to continue to release monthly statements (after they thought about dropping that).

Do they also release quarterly data (which was their only public release prior to this generation -- and which they almost went back to doing exclusively again)?

If they do release quarterly data, does anyone track to see how well the quarterly reports match the sum of the three montly reports? In other words, does anyone check to see if M1+M2+M3 = QR

Given the discussion of the January NPD, these are questions that I think need to be answered before anyone declares that NPD > Any other source for game data.

If someone else has asked this before (including myself so long ago that I forgot) -- please forgive me and humor me by answering (and then lock the thread if a Mod so chooses). I have not figured out how to search the forums successfully.

Thanks

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

im not to sure i havent seen them release quarterly data though

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Ya, I only think manufactures get to release quarterly data,

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I guess it isn't public.

And I personally would guess they must adjust old numbers, because if they don't then they utterly fail at tracking Wii and DS considering the LTD of adding NPD months is so much lower than shipment data.

So if they did release quarterly data publically it would differ from the total of the three months.

Well this should make the Sony fans happy, as ioi adjusted his figures

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

^ Are you sure he didn't just add this weeks Others data?

Lol he didn't adjusted it XD.

if he adjust it, then we will do it when he post NA HW

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Actually he did go check the cached data it was 67.18 for DS as of last week, now its 67.13

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Ps3 was at 9.94 adding the 80k it just sold its at 10.03 he didnt adjust. It would be 10.09 then.