By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: Our next system will “absorb the Wii U architecture adequately”

Game budgets are ridiculously bloated and Nintendo is smart not to chase that graphical fix. It allows them to take more risks and different kinds of gameplay. Look at Minecraft. 14 million copies sold on the PC alone and grafix has no part in it. It will also allow them to make games with shorter dev. cycles.

Around the Network

So only 2 years behind MC and Sony. Good job?

HumdrumPie said:

Game budgets are ridiculously bloated and Nintendo is smart not to chase that graphical fix. It allows them to take more risks and different kinds of gameplay. Look at Minecraft. 14 million copies sold on the PC alone and grafix has no part in it. It will also allow them to make games with shorter dev. cycles.

To be honest, Wii U seems far more powerful than even what Nintendo needs. 

Only X and maybe Mario Kart 8 really seem to push the chipset really hard. 

Mario 3D World is pretty, but really put side by side next to Mario Galaxy on Dolphin is not really *that* huge of a leap. NSMB, Smash, DKC are in the same boat. 

3rd gen 3D is pretty. Sure you can get better, but you start to get either into A) the relam of diminishing returns or B) a production budget that starts to rival/exceed a large scale Hollywood movie. Both scenarios are unacceptable for Nintendo. 

3rd gen 3D is basically where 3D graphics evolved to the point where you can create basically any type of game scenario and make it look quite nice and realistic (or non-realistic) to a level where the user can see a real "character" there and not just a pile of polygons. I think Nintendo is quite OK with that. 

This pretty much confirms Nintendo`s intention of streamlining software production.
There are great benefits from following this strategy:
By streamlining SW production Nintendo will actually have to change it`s overall game development plan. As of now we get 2 2DMarios, 2 3D Marios (or more), 4 Zelda games (remakes and new games), etc.
Seeing as one game can be on both platforms Nintendo can save their best franchises from over exposure at the same time it gets more human resources and money to develop new IPs, revive old IPs and even invest in this new 3rd pillar platform.

The big question is: seeing as both consoles will share some if not all SW line-up, how do you convence people to buy both handheld and home console?
Before you had different games on each platform, so, the purchase was justified. But, what about now, when that difference will most likely be eroded?
I hope that someone asks Iwata, that question.

Soundwave said:

Yup this is exactly what I think -- the next Nintendo handheld (tablet form factor) will be able to run Wii U engines "reasonably" well. Much closer than the Vita can with PS3 engines. Say 540p resolution at maybe a slightly lower frame rate or something.

This will let them port/or "retool" games like DKC: TF, Mario Kart 8, Smash U, Zelda U, etc. which probably isn't going to make as much profit as they want on Wii U to their new portable platform which will be able to play Nintendo games all the way up from the NES to Zelda U.

There will be a "home dock" that lets you play on your TV if you have the handheld model, and could bump the resolution to 720/1080p too I think. 

I don't think that's it. The handheld will still have dual screens, but the next home console will also still have a gamepad. Everything else you said is right, though and applies. Except for the docking thing, obviously.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

Yup this is exactly what I think -- the next Nintendo handheld (tablet form factor) will be able to run Wii U engines "reasonably" well. Much closer than the Vita can with PS3 engines. Say 540p resolution at maybe a slightly lower frame rate or something.

This will let them port/or "retool" games like DKC: TF, Mario Kart 8, Smash U, Zelda U, etc. which probably isn't going to make as much profit as they want on Wii U to their new portable platform which will be able to play Nintendo games all the way up from the NES to Zelda U.

There will be a "home dock" that lets you play on your TV if you have the handheld model, and could bump the resolution to 720/1080p too I think. 

I don't think that's it. The handheld will still have dual screens, but the next home console will also still have a gamepad. Everything else you said is right, though and applies. Except for the docking thing, obviously.

Dual screens are done. Even the 2DS doesn't technically have two screens (it's just one screen with a plastic divider over it .... you wanna know why? Because dual screens don't have any cost benefit anymore). 

Dual screens was a good idea in 2004 when having one large touch panel would've been extremely expensive, so having one small LCD for touch and another one for the display made sense. Or even for the 3DS it made sense, but Nintendo is likely ditching 3D screens as well. 

I only wish at least that Nintendo if they make another console be close with the current times in the technological area, and don't releases a hardware 6 to 7 years old. :/

padib said:
Soundwave said:

Dual screens are done. Even the 2DS doesn't technically have two screens (it's just one screen with a plastic divider over it .... you wanna know why? Because dual screens don't have any cost benefit anymore). 

I really don't get where you get this from. The dual-screen setup is going nowhere as far as we know.

I will literally eat my hat if the next Nintendo handheld has two seperate screens. It sucks for battery, its pointless (as large mutlitouch panels are cheap as dirt), and even the 2DS is really now a single touch panel. 

Xxain said:
I hate this talk about future consoles. Very uncomfortable.

Exactly, they're barely into this gen and they're talking abut future consoles. Now people who just bought a Wii U are feeling uneasy. I'm not sure if it's even wise to buy one now...

Soundwave said:
spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

Dual screens was a good idea in 2004 when having one large touch panel would've been extremely expensive, so having one small LCD for touch and another one for the display made sense. Or even for the 3DS it made sense, but Nintendo is likely ditching 3D screens as well. 

I don't agree. If anything, they've become more permanent now. Dual screens are the future of Nintendo.