By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect is Guarding the Korean Border

http://kotaku.com/microsofts-kinect-is-now-guarding-the-korean-border-1514792443

Microsoft's Kinect Is Now Guarding the Korean Border

North Korea and South Korea are separated by the most heavily armed border on Earth. But rest easy, there's a new guard on the lookout: Kinect.

Self-taught South Korean programmer Jae Kwan Ko developed a Kinect-based software system to monitor the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone), which separates the two countries. It was deployed at the border last August, but its existence wasn't made public until recently.

According to news site Hankooki (via tipster Sang), the Kinect-based system identifies objects crossing the DMZ. It can discern the difference between animals and humans. If the system detects a human, it will alert the nearby outpost. Further details are sparse—probably, because this involves national security. 1

"I've never even thought of a game system performing national defense tasks," Ko is quoted as saying. In the future, Ko says the sensor will detect heart rates and heat—which sounds like the DMZ's Kinect guard will be upgraded to the Xbox One version.

The Xbox One has yet to be released in South Korea.

가장 창조경제적인 이 사람… "게임기로 휴전선을 지킨다" [Hankooki Thanks, Sang!]

-----------------------------------------------------

it really is watching you... well some koreans..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

If that's what the Kinect is  used for in South Korea, then it is used for spying people while they are taking a shower in North Korea.  Fun for everyone.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:

If that's what the Kinect is  used for in South Korea, then it is used for spying people while they are taking a shower in North Korea.  Fun for everyone.

Ha ha ha.

Meh, got nothing on this one

http://www.gizmag.com/korea-dodamm-super-aegis-autonomos-robot-gun-turret/17198/

so it is a surveillance device, after all?

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse

Around the Network

That's pretty cool!

ktay95 said:

Meh, got nothing on this one

http://www.gizmag.com/korea-dodamm-super-aegis-autonomos-robot-gun-turret/17198/

the NSA has put sleeping darts in every kinect... trust me.. it can disable you whenever they want...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Cool stuff I actually thought of it for house video surveillance with the Xbox one sensor...

Haha I have actually stood where that picture was taken in the OP. I live very close to the DMZ in Korea, nice to know Kinect is keeping me safe.... that and a million landmines.

I've stood on the opposite site of the line and looked to where the photo was taken on the other side. that was cool.

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3