907 units left - 9:56 am GMT
780 units left - 2:00 pm GMT
373 units left - 5:30 pm GMT
146 units left - 7:00 pm GMT

Out of stock - 7:55 pm GMT

~1k units in 12 hours

~2k units per day confirmed only from Amazon
~48k units per month confirmed only from Amazon

it must be more than 2K,  sales accelerated towards the end, it was still morning in NA, between 3pm and 11pm EST when people come back from work and school it should be even faster.

g911turbo said:
Xenostar said:
g911turbo said:
ArmGunar said:

954 units left - 7:30 am GMT

907 units left - 9:56 am GMT

780 units left - 2:00 pm GMT

373 units left - 5:30 pm GMT

Monday morning rush on the east coast USA.  West coast up next, so unless Amazon restocks it, it will probably sell out by the end of Monday.

Not sure why everyone is hoping for this to sell out.  You know that means sales stop right?

Yes but theres only as many as there is, sellling out slower so there in stock longer doesnt mean there will be more. 

Yeah, but I was more referring to the fact that you should hope the count all of a sudden goes back to 999.  That means they won't hit the wall.  I'm not saying you want it to sell slower, its you want there to be enough stock so it can sell as is. 

The only downside to that is you can't track it piece by piece, but oh well.

Yeah it would be rare to get 2 shipments in 1 day tho. each day you can wish for a higher than 999 stock tho :)

GribbleGrunger said:
impertinence said:
betacon said:
impertinence said:
betacon said:

If you want a console badly enough you will wait, if you don;t you never wanted it badly.

A great mindset for any company that wants to drive away consumers.

Where does that imply that's their mind set, you can't honestly think is a bad situation for Sony?

Selling a lot of consoles is obviously a good thing, just like being out of stock is obviously a bad thing.

I can't agree. Being out of stock can only be for one of two reasons: It's selling extraordinarily well or they have trouble with manufacturing. We know it's not the latter so it's a good thing.  Being constantly in stock would be a bad thing because it means demand is lower than production.

One thing I've not seen discussed is AMDs part in this. Surely if one console starts selling much better than the other -- assuming AMD also have a limit on how many they can produce -- wouldn't that effect the console that was selling less? More chipsets to Sony means less chipsets available for MS and so it becomes a viscious circle.

Dude.  How can you possibly disagree with his statement.  It's like economics 101.

The best scenario is where supply meets demand. 

Sony is selling extremely well, but the bottom line is, if they could make more systems faster it would be BETTER.  That's not really a knock against Sony.  It being out of stock is a testament to how strong demand is - but it would be BETTER if there were more systems still.  The in and out of stock thing is NOT an ideal situation (although it is better than the alternative, which is sitting on gobs of inventory).

g911turbo said:
GribbleGrunger said:
impertinence said:
betacon said:
impertinence said:
betacon said:

If you want a console badly enough you will wait, if you don;t you never wanted it badly.

A great mindset for any company that wants to drive away consumers.

Where does that imply that's their mind set, you can't honestly think is a bad situation for Sony?

Selling a lot of consoles is obviously a good thing, just like being out of stock is obviously a bad thing.

I can't agree. Being out of stock can only be for one of two reasons: It's selling extraordinarily well or they have trouble with manufacturing. We know it's not the latter so it's a good thing.  Being constantly in stock would be a bad thing because it means demand is lower than production.

One thing I've not seen discussed is AMDs part in this. Surely if one console starts selling much better than the other -- assuming AMD also have a limit on how many they can produce -- wouldn't that effect the console that was selling less? More chipsets to Sony means less chipsets available for MS and so it becomes a viscious circle.

Dude.  How can you possibly disagree with his statement.  It's like economics 101.

Sony is selling extremely well, but the bottom line is, if they could make more systems faster it would be BETTER.  That's not really a knock against Sony.  It being out of stock is a testament to how strong demand is - but it would be BETTER if there were more systems still.  The in and out of stock thing is NOT an ideal situation (although it is better than the alternative, which is sitting on gobs of inventory).

No, the best scenario is when demand is so high you can't keep up and have to increase productivity, which is what Sony are trying to do. But no doubt when Sony CAN keep up with preorders it will be a sign that the sales are slowing down, not that productivity is going up ... Am I right?

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
g911turbo said:
GribbleGrunger said:

No, the best scenario is when demand is so high you can't keep up and have to increase productivity, which is what Sony are trying to do. But no doubt when Sony CAN keep up with preorders it will be a sign that the sales are slowing down, not that productivity is going up ... Am I right?

Exactly.  Those people don't know what they are talking about.  It's not like Sony is only getting out small shipments, like just about any other console launch.  They are outshipping ANY console ever launched AND still can't keep up with demand.  That is freaking amazing.  Granted it is obvious demand has dropped somewhat, but its still to a point where Sony can't keep supply on shelves for longer than a week.

thismeintiel said:
GribbleGrunger said:
g911turbo said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Exactly.  Those people don't know what they are talking about.  It's not like Sony is only getting out small shipments, like just about any other console launch.  They are outshipping ANY console ever launched AND still can't keep up with demand.  That is freaking amazing.  Granted it is obvious demand has dropped somewhat, but its still to a point where Sony can't keep supply on shelves for longer than a week.

They also seem to think that one phone call from Sony and a few quid will get a new factory built by the weekend. You can't get better than the situation Sony is in. How would it be better if they COULD keep up with demand given how many they can produce? It's as if people think they can just knock out as many consoles as they like.

The PS5 Exists. 

I remember at the launch of the PS3, 360 and Wii, when seals would literally get beaten to death when people looked at Amazon numbers as representative of the market.

Guess the market dynamics have changed that radically since 06.

SamuelRSmith said:
I remember at the launch of the PS3, 360 and Wii, when seals would literally get beaten to death when people looked at Amazon numbers as representative of the market.

Guess the market dynamics have changed that radically since 06.

Online sales and perorders are far bigger than 06... I'm sure about that.

I think Sony production is quite amazing. They managed to sell over 4 million in 6 weeks.. until or unless they are manufacturing PS4 since summer i think they are manufacturing well over a million a month. around 1.5 - 1.7 million would be my guess. So i think all things point to a very healthy and well managed PS4 business again for Sony.

Also PS4 is available more regularly on more stores and online places and with shorter sold out days ..