By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - One store in Iceland's account: ~100 PS4s sold on midnight launch, 3 WiiU's sold since 2012. (Update: Another sold 800+ PS4)

noname2200 said:
Xen said:
The next time that I'm making the joke of "there's only like seven Wii U's sold", I'm using Iceland as the example.

But then you'd be exageratting.

Would I, really?

Think about it, deeply!

Around the Network
pezus said:

People like to mention Spain and Portugal as the biggest Sony havens in Europe, but I've always thought Iceland certainly put up a good fight for that title.

A friend of mine from Denmark told me that the Danes (and the Scandinavians in general) are in that race too. Back in 2012 the split between the HD twins was 80% (PS3) to 20% (Xbox 360). No wonder why MS hasn't launched there. x} Maybe God of War IV in Norse mythology would be a good way to rub those Viking dicks..

Are you using the British or Danish PSN on Iceland?

Somini said:

Dear God!! Seems like Iceland isn't very diverse with their gaming.

Fixed.

I own a PS4, so I'm not trolling but damn, that's ridiculous (only 3 Wii-U's sold). All it tells me is gaming there is far more niche and reserved for a very small consumer base. There's really no other reason because in the US and Japan, both Sony and Nintendo do well.

prayformojo said:
Somini said:

Fixed.

I own a PS4, so I'm not trolling but damn, that's ridiculous (only 3 Wii-U's sold). All it tells me is gaming there is far more niche and reserved for a very small consumer base. There's really no other reason because in the US and Japan, both Sony and Nintendo do well.

Yes, but Nintendo has to invest in the market first, before they can have the customers. It seems they're dealing with the country through a third party. That´s not helping their cause.

Somini said:
pezus said:

Also just found out that another store sold over 800 PS4s on launch night. Sold "far better" than PS3 at launch.

Weird that the Xbone is available in Iceland, but not in The Netherlands yet!! I mean they sold more than a million 360's over here, so what gives?

Maybe Pezus can tell us more, but the Xbox One is not yet (officially) released there.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
pezus said:
HigHurtenflurst said:
I didn't even know Nintendo did business in Iceland. Isn't there some other company that Nintendo deals with instead rather than shipping there themselves (thus making the few Nintendo units shipped there extraordinarily expensive... like Brazillian PS4s)

Yes, you are correct. But I think the same goes for both Sony and MS as well. I mean, we don't even have an Icelandic PSN store.

And WiiU is quite a bit cheaper than PS4 here, although I'd say it's too expensive compared to PS3.

Microsoft I can understand but I'm kinda surprised Sony doesn't have an official presence there. I can understand not having a dedicated PSN store yet but they are a massive international hardware company... Are you sure they ship through a third party?

Hmm, seems Iceland isn't listed on http://www.sony-europe.com/ so you could be right (yet there is a section for The Vatican City!)

pezus said:
soulfly666 said:
pezus said:

Iceland population: 320k

If we added the true launch day to the Iceland numbers we'd likely reach around 2000 or more, which would bring the ratio to over 0.6%. 

Oh my god.  This must be a bad place to get in trouble...Does everyone know everyone?

Do you know 320k people?

Not personally, but I have certainly seen / had run-ins with WAY more than that in the years since moving to this city alone.

Somini said:
prayformojo said:
Somini said:

Fixed.

Yes, but Nintendo has to invest in the market first, before they can have the customers. It seems they're dealing with the country through a third party. That´s not helping their cause.

I honestly think they need to invest in places that they can actually florish in. This use to be the way the industry worked in the NES and SNES days. If they'd do more market research, figure out which territories are going to work and which ones aren't, they could pull out of the ones that are failing and allocate resources and money into the markets that have promise. Sometimes it's better to shrink. That's exactly how Jobs saved Apple when he returned. He cut off the fat, killed things that were wasting their capital and focused on a narrow pathway to success.

I would have said the X1 hadnt launched in iceland.

''Hadouken!''

HigHurtenflurst said:

Microsoft I can understand but I'm kinda surprised Sony doesn't have an official presence there. I can understand not having a dedicated PSN store yet but they are a massive international hardware company... Are you sure they ship through a third party?

Hmm, seems Iceland isn't listed on http://www.sony-europe.com/ so you could be right (yet there is a section for The Vatican City!)

The third party distributor of PS in the Nordic countries is the Danish company "Nordisk Film Interactive" but the ironic thing about this is that this region is where PlayStation does best. The Split between PS3 and Xbox 360 in Denmark is 80% to 20%, respectively.

http://www.nordiskfilm.com/int/Business-Areas/Games/